Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wellyfox

TO THE MODS

I don't know which posts you are referring to, but if those posts are in the same spirit as some in here or other recent/current threads, I'm sure they're just being pre-emptive. The standard of the posting has plummeted dramatically since the season ended...

Perhaps instead of removing the post the member should be warned or banned.

50% of the original NM thread was people moning about comments on the bristol site or making equally offensive comments about the bcfc fans.

Yet they seem to think we are whiter than white.

Don't worry about it mate, this site ain't what it used to be back in the days of TPH when he owned it!!!

i just come on to read about the transfers n stuff!

Me too but why should I and others be mocked and abused if we feel like making a comment.

I'll confess. I am a massive grammar Nazi.

To the extent I take fecking ages to respond to anything on chat during matches because I'm typing grammatically. No, I'm not joking.

I very often skip over posts that are written poorly in terms of grammar, syntax and spelling. I shouldn't but I do. I won't go through replying to posts nitpicking on grammatical errors, but I might in my head. That said though, when I do look back at such posts there is some sense to be garnered, no less than those like myself who are lucky enough to have had the opportunities and education to be able to read and write to a high standard. I think some people need to realise that not everybody is academic, has an English degree and that the first two are prerequisites for having a valid opinion.

The OP has been watching LCFC since the mid 1970s. By my reckoning that means he has seen over 35 years of football under 21 different managers in 3 different divisions and most probably hundreds of matches. You don't usually watch that much football and fail to build an opinion worth hearing or reading, in spite of what you might hear from the Thermos Army in the Kop and West Stand. There are some posters on here with cracking grammar who are clearly very intelligent people and would most probably tear many of our posters a new ringpiece in a debate, but their opinions on football are just as likely to be horseshit as someone who apparently can't string a sentence together.

I admit I've taken the piss out of bad grammar. I usually though reserve that for people who are being absolute arsewipes, the Forest teenagers who come on here and give it all the 'OOH FESTA ARE SHIT LOOOL' and are clearly greater failures than their dad's Durex. Telling them what fvcktards they are is based mainly on their idiotic rambles and the grammar is often a bonus. Anyone remember the Cardiff fan who came on here before the play-offs and tried to tell us he was a Maths student at Oxford? The fact that he seemed to have failed to reach KS3 levels of literacy made that hilarious. I may do it to people I know either on or off the forum as a bit of banter but I always try not to let it get offensive because frankly there are more important things to judge people on.

Is it irritating when people post in txt spk? Yes it is, but how often do we see proper text speak really? On the rare occasions we do a mod comes in and reminds them of the rules. It's annoying but rarely seen. There seems unfortunately to be a bit of grammatical willy waving being expressed in this thread and I'm not entirely sure why....

Don't worry about it mate, this site ain't what it used to be back in the days of TPH when he owned it!!!

i just come on to read about the transfers n stuff!

Pfff, there were good times before that cockbadger showed up :P Back when Daniel was one of a few petulant WUMs and Ricey, stez, Scowy, Cobbo etc were all regular posters.

Perhaps instead of removing the post the member should be warned or banned.

50% of the original NM thread was people moning about comments on the bristol site or making equally offensive comments about the bcfc fans.

Yet they seem to think we are whiter than white.

But the amount of crap being posted is embarrassing and I doubt they have time to warn everyone individually. I have not noticed any overzealous modding, but I could well imagine they've deleted posts that risked setting off needless and pointless arguments or even cause downright trouble.

Pfff, there were good times before that cockbadger showed up :P Back when Daniel was one of a few petulant WUMs and Ricey, stez, Scowy, Cobbo etc were all regular posters.

But the amount of crap being posted is embarrassing and I doubt they have time to warn everyone individually. I have not noticed any overzealous modding, but I could well imagine they've deleted posts that risked setting off needless and pointless arguments or even cause downright trouble.

haha and before DB11 it was me, back in the day when LD3 used to post like 150 posts each day to haha the good old days. haha

Well well,

What do we have here?

Look, wellyfox, its all well and good crying for sympathy, but each and every one of us came through an education system which at the very least should have furnished us with the ability to construct sentences and spell reasonably well. Its basic stuff. Perfection is not required, but a reasonable standard should be within reach of most. The backlash against those who cant is understandable, but more so I feel as those who cant write properly are generally putting out there opinions which are reactive, lowest common denominator, tabloid inspired, mindless tripe.

There should be a wheat from the chaff process on these sites at the registration point, whereby you must write a piece on the subject of the forum, in this case LCFC, which would be judged by the mods for its content and construction prior to being accepted. That would improve quality, enjoyability and standing of the site, and let those who fail, go away and try harder or, go join a lesser forum.

Simples.

And while I'm at it, how many times have we seen ''could of had'' being used on here? It does not exist. It makes no sense. It is wrong.

Could have had. Its ''could have had''.

This forum is for LEICESTER CITY fans - not Forest or Coventry ones. Standards should apply - including for spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Apart from the fact that literacy is a core skill these days, I actually find your attitude incredibly disrespectful.

Just because you can't be bothered to type proper sentences doesn't mean others should be encouraged to copy you or your little coterie of fanboys.

Your ignorance - and apparent pride in it - is as bad as the bigotry that many quite rightly condemn when witnessed on forums and other grounds.

I suggest you stay away from the boards until you've learnt not only how to type properly, but to put words together into something that might actually resemble a reasonable argument..

+1 :thumbup:

Without wanting to start a new topic I thought I'd post it here.

What has happened with Mods deleting people's posts all of a sudden?

I only remember posts being deleted when something really bad was posted, but now it seems as if people will just get their posts removed for no reason at all.

Sorry to sound like a moaning git at the Moderators on here, it just seems like some of the moderating has been a bit heavy handed/unnecessary recently.

I've realised this as well, quite a few of my posts have been deleted recently when they were valid and kept within the subject of the thread, quite annoying really. It was - even more so - annoying when I wrote something, it got deleted, then somebody else wrote virtually the exact same thing and their post wasn't delete :dunno::angry:

Well well,

What do we have here?

Look, wellyfox, its all well and good crying for sympathy, but each and every one of us came through an education system which at the very least should have furnished us with the ability to construct sentences and spell reasonably well. Its basic stuff. Perfection is not required, but a reasonable standard should be within reach of most. The backlash against those who cant is understandable, but more so I feel as those who cant write properly are generally putting out there opinions which are reactive, lowest common denominator, tabloid inspired, mindless tripe.

There should be a wheat from the chaff process on these sites at the registration point, whereby you must write a piece on the subject of the forum, in this case LCFC, which would be judged by the mods for its content and construction prior to being accepted. That would improve quality, enjoyability and standing of the site, and let those who fail, go away and try harder or, go join a lesser forum.

Simples.

And while I'm at it, how many times have we seen ''could of had'' being used on here? It does not exist. It makes no sense. It is wrong.

Could have had. Its ''could have had''.

As a professional proofreader, let me assure you that I could point out a number of errors in this diatribe, should I wish.

Show a bit more tolerance, mate - pedantry on a football forum just isn't cool.

This forum is for LEICESTER CITY fans - not Forest or Coventry ones. Standards should apply - including for spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Apart from the fact that literacy is a core skill these days, I actually find your attitude incredibly disrespectful.

Just because you can't be bothered to type proper sentences doesn't mean others should be encouraged to copy you or your little coterie of fanboys.

Your ignorance - and apparent pride in it - is as bad as the bigotry that many quite rightly condemn when witnessed on forums and other grounds.

I suggest you stay away from the boards until you've learnt not only how to type properly, but to put words together into something that might actually resemble a reasonable argument..

Sorry 'accessory' but imo you are out of order to decide who should or should not be entitled to post on Foxestalk.

Not everyone that comes onto this forum has a degree in English grammar, myself included. But that should not prevent people coming onto the site to present their point of view, I therefore agree with 'wellyfox' & the points that he/she makes, so stop putting posters down.

Posters should not be ridiculed if their spelling or grammar are not perfect, this is a football forum for Gods' sake. Criticism of such petty things is likely to put some people off posting their point of view, so it should stop & don't be so bloody smug in future!

People should be encouraged to come onto the site, not put off by folk with nothing better to do than pick fault. Certain things that people write do irritate me tbh, but I put up with such things because everyones viewpoint is valid, even if it isn't word perfect. I would like to see the mod's make a comment on this subject & surely they will agree with the points made by 'wellyfox'

I also disagree with you stating that rival supporters should not come onto the site, why not? Surely it's good to see what they have to say. Most of them come onto the site with good intentions & are perfectly respectful in their postings. Haven't you ever posted on a rivals site?

Maybe it should be yourself that stays off the forum if you can not tolerate peoples grammatical errors?

Apologies if I have missed out a , or ' !!!

Reading through the posts in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that there are some over-sensitive posters on here. I will say is as a reader of FT for some time, and a poster since Nov last year, that there is are probably a lot of people who tend to read the forum but never post something for fear of it being shot down. However, only if it's in txt speak. I have rarely seen a poster in virtual terms run off crying because someone picked on them for their spelling or grammar.

Yes there are a few posters on FT that pick up inconsistent spelling, but I'd hardly say they are bullying individuals about it, or spending all their time doing so, and not posting anything of worth, and being a spelling nazi or grammar troll.

I've read posts on here and elsewhere, where people who use (as described) 'big words', as elitist tw@ats who use words to talk down to other posters. In rare cases that may be the case, but in the majority of cases it's not. It can be described as what ever you want, and viewed in whichever the viewer wants to perceive it.

I enjoy using this forum, I spent many years on BBC 606, as I found posters there who used the two things I enjoy. Football first and foremost and writing as a means of describing how I feel about it. I found the same thing here but without the heavy handed moderation.

I have a tendency to flower things up when writing, and play with words, as do many posters on FT. That's why I don't get bored of coming back.

I just think the subject has been blown out of proportion. FT isn't an elitist forum by any means. ALL opinions are valid. They DO NOT have to go through a spell or grammar checker before they go up, as long as they make relative sense.

There's plenty of articulate posts that go up that make as much sense as nettle wanking gloves. Some might say I fall into that category. I can accept criticism. I do aim to make sense if possible, so I try to remain sober before coming anywhere near a computer.

I would like to comment after reading this thread, just how much I have enjoyed the debate.

I agree with both sides of the argument, despite being one of the main protagonists on the forum who draws attention to posters who use 'text speak.'

Aside from the narrative of argument, ironically and personally, the enjoyment of the last four pages has been born out of the standard of grammar and the fact that posts have been well communicated and written - which unsurprisingly has led to interesting debate because posts have been taken seriously. Often, posts involving text speak which make poor, repetitive or pre-mentioned points are responded to in a flippant manner by those who tire of reading posts which are underpinned by these generic conventions.

If somebody with poor grammar made great points when posting - fine....... funnily enough, I'm not noticing any real relationship or correlation in that department and no I'm not commenting on dyslexia/dyspraxia here.

*Provides opportunity massive opportunity for somebody to contribute in txt speak with valid content*

I would like to comment after reading this thread, just how much I have enjoyed the debate.

I agree with both sides of the argument, despite being one of the main protagonists on the forum who draws attention to posters who use 'text speak.'

Aside from the narrative of argument, ironically and personally, the enjoyment of the last four pages has been born out of the standard of grammar and the fact that posts have been well communicated and written - which unsurprisingly has led to interesting debate because posts have been taken seriously. Often, posts involving text speak which make poor, repetitive or pre-mentioned points are responded to in a flippant manner by those who tire of reading posts which are underpinned by these generic conventions.

If somebody with poor grammar made great points when posting - fine....... funnily enough, I'm not noticing any real relationship or correlation in that department and no I'm not commenting on dyslexia/dyspraxia here.

*Provides opportunity massive opportunity for somebody to contribute in txt speak with valid content*

I've gone to the bother of translating your post into txt speak using this website: http://www.madhousebeyond.com/?mode=txtspeak

"I WOULD LKE 2 CMMNT AFTR READNG THS THREAD JST HW MCH I HV ENJYD TH DBT. AGREE WTH BTH SDS OF TH ARGMNT DSPT BEING OF TH MAIN PRTGNSTS ON TH FRM WH DRWS ATTNTN 2 PSTRS WH US TXT SPEAK.SD FRM TH NRRTV OF ARGMNT IRNCLLY AND PRSNLLY TH ENJYMNT OF TH LST FOUR PGS HS BEEN BRN OUT OF TH STNDRD OF GRMMR AND TH FCT THT PSTS HV BEEN WLL CMMNCTD AND WRTTN - WHCH UNSRPRSNGLY HS LD 2 INTRSTNG DBT BCAUS PSTS HV BEEN TKN SROUSLY. OFTN PSTS INVLVNG TXT SPEAK WHCH MK POOR RPTTV R PR-MNTND PNTS R RSPNDD 2 IN A FLPPNT MNNR BY THS WH TR OF READNG PSTS WHCH R UNDRPNND BY THS GNRC CNVNTNS.F SMBDY WTH POOR GRMMR MD GR8 PNTS WHN PSTNG - FN....... FNNLY ENOUGH IM NT NTCNG NE REAL RLTNSHP R CRRLTN IN THT DPRTMNT AND NO IM NT CMMNTNG ON DYSLXDYSPRX HR.PRVDS OPPRTNTY MSSV OPPRTNTY FR SMBDY 2 CNTRBT IN TXT SPEAK WTH VLD CNTNT"

Whilst it isn't 'proper' txtspk, it's still annoying to look at.

I've gone to the bother of translating your post into txt speak using this website: http://www.madhouseb.../?mode=txtspeak

"I WOULD LKE 2 CMMNT AFTR READNG THS THREAD JST HW MCH I HV ENJYD TH DBT. AGREE WTH BTH SDS OF TH ARGMNT DSPT BEING OF TH MAIN PRTGNSTS ON TH FRM WH DRWS ATTNTN 2 PSTRS WH US TXT SPEAK.SD FRM TH NRRTV OF ARGMNT IRNCLLY AND PRSNLLY TH ENJYMNT OF TH LST FOUR PGS HS BEEN BRN OUT OF TH STNDRD OF GRMMR AND TH FCT THT PSTS HV BEEN WLL CMMNCTD AND WRTTN - WHCH UNSRPRSNGLY HS LD 2 INTRSTNG DBT BCAUS PSTS HV BEEN TKN SROUSLY. OFTN PSTS INVLVNG TXT SPEAK WHCH MK POOR RPTTV R PR-MNTND PNTS R RSPNDD 2 IN A FLPPNT MNNR BY THS WH TR OF READNG PSTS WHCH R UNDRPNND BY THS GNRC CNVNTNS.F SMBDY WTH POOR GRMMR MD GR8 PNTS WHN PSTNG - FN....... FNNLY ENOUGH IM NT NTCNG NE REAL RLTNSHP R CRRLTN IN THT DPRTMNT AND NO IM NT CMMNTNG ON DYSLXDYSPRX HR.PRVDS OPPRTNTY MSSV OPPRTNTY FR SMBDY 2 CNTRBT IN TXT SPEAK WTH VLD CNTNT"

Whilst it isn't 'proper' txtspk, it's still annoying to look at.

Excellent post.

However, who else struggled after line one to continue reading.

Why is this?

Prejudice?

I think not - it's simply not at all user friendly.

I wonder if the new generation of professionals will communicate like this in business and academia?

A linguists wet dream turned nightmare.

I agree with most of the points raised by Nick, but would have to say that those people who take a little more time and effort over their posts (and I'm talking about posts which are intended to be taken seriously, as part of a debate etc) do tend to make better, more convincing points and more coherent arguments.

It's really the difference between the below sort of posts.

1) I think that Heskey would be a good signing, providing he has a couple of years left in his legs and could be tempted by a contract within our current wage structure since despite his mediocre goal scoring record, he is a constant thread, shows lots of movement, always gives an option to midfielders and creates space for striking partners and midfielders running beyond them. Paired with a mobile goalscorer, or a poacher, in the mould of Cottee, I think we could have a genuinely strong strikeforce on our hands.

2) I fink dat we shud sine Hesky cos he is da bom an he az playd for LESTA be4 and is gud on FM!!!!!!!!!!! Also hee h8s FOREST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know which I would rather read and I know which poster I would rather enter in to a debate with, I know which opinion I value more and which I'd look to explore further and I know which poster I'd sooner meet for a beer and a cheese and onion cob in the Swan & Rushes.

Maybe I am a snob, but there is definitely a correlation between standard of spelling, grammar etc and the strength of the article and how interest the resulting posts are. The above poster who labelled most txtspk posts as generally consistent with a sort of lowest common denominator, tabloid mentality is about right, in my opinion.

I would also add that I realise that some people do struggle with their spelling for legitimate reasons and that is fair enough - my issue is with people that just don't make an effort at all. This post is probably littered with errors, but at least its obvious (I hope) that I have made an effort.

As a new boy on the site ( not for long by the look of it ) I mistakenly took it for a football chat site ? you know gossip light hearted banter by people who love the club and live for it with not too much censorship . Instead after trawling through the posts it looks like a open blackboard for people to write on about absolutely anything but what it was set up for FOOTBALL. How about we all lighten up stop nitpicking others posts ignore dodgy grammar and enjoy not only this site but the coming season .

As a new boy on the site ( not for long by the look of it ) I mistakenly took it for a football chat site ? you know gossip light hearted banter by people who love the club and live for it with not too much censorship . Instead after trawling through the posts it looks like a open blackboard for people to write on about absolutely anything but what it was set up for FOOTBALL. How about we all lighten up stop nitpicking others posts ignore dodgy grammar and enjoy not only this site but the coming season .

I think that people do enjoy the site and I think the consensus is that we will not call people on their spelling in threads.

This is a one off thread for us all to actually discuss the subject, which I believe many of us are finding interesting reading.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy expressing yourself, whether it be about football or any other subject. :thumbup:

Guest ttfn

I'll confess. I am a massive grammar Nazi.

To the extent I take fecking ages to respond to anything on chat during matches because I'm typing grammatically. No, I'm not joking.

I very often skip over posts that are written poorly in terms of grammar, syntax and spelling. I shouldn't but I do. I won't go through replying to posts nitpicking on grammatical errors, but I might in my head. That said though, when I do look back at such posts there is some sense to be garnered, no less than those like myself who are lucky enough to have had the opportunities and education to be able to read and write to a high standard. I think some people need to realise that not everybody is academic, has an English degree and that the first two are prerequisites for having a valid opinion.

The OP has been watching LCFC since the mid 1970s. By my reckoning that means he has seen over 35 years of football under 21 different managers in 3 different divisions and most probably hundreds of matches. You don't usually watch that much football and fail to build an opinion worth hearing or reading, in spite of what you might hear from the Thermos Army in the Kop and West Stand. There are some posters on here with cracking grammar who are clearly very intelligent people and would most probably tear many of our posters a new ringpiece in a debate, but their opinions on football are just as likely to be horseshit as someone who apparently can't string a sentence together.

I admit I've taken the piss out of bad grammar. I usually though reserve that for people who are being absolute arsewipes, the Forest teenagers who come on here and give it all the 'OOH FESTA ARE SHIT LOOOL' and are clearly greater failures than their dad's Durex. Telling them what fvcktards they are is based mainly on their idiotic rambles and the grammar is often a bonus. Anyone remember the Cardiff fan who came on here before the play-offs and tried to tell us he was a Maths student at Oxford? The fact that he seemed to have failed to reach KS3 levels of literacy made that hilarious. I may do it to people I know either on or off the forum as a bit of banter but I always try not to let it get offensive because frankly there are more important things to judge people on.

Is it irritating when people post in txt spk? Yes it is, but how often do we see proper text speak really? On the rare occasions we do a mod comes in and reminds them of the rules. It's annoying but rarely seen. There seems unfortunately to be a bit of grammatical willy waving being expressed in this thread and I'm not entirely sure why....

There are at least three occasions in this post when you should have used a semi-colon.

I, for one, expect better from you. Hang your head in shame, Bilo.

Hmmmmmmm

The squad numbers thread perhaps backs up what i am trying to say.

Not much to read but sums up how some people on the other side feel.

But hey some will never be convinced carry on all be great when only a dozen perfect people are posting.

Or most threads are littered with abuse.

I'll be so happy reading it all.

Hmmmmmmm

The squad numbers thread perhaps backs up what i am trying to say.

Not much to read but sums up how some people on the other side feel.

But hey some will never be convinced carry on all be great when only a dozen perfect people are posting.

Or most threads are littered with abuse.

I'll be so happy reading it all.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=74472&pid=1915682&st=0entry1915682

I take it there is another thread for Squad Numbers not just the one above...... Linkage, I'm interested to see what you mean?

Archived