Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

London no longer English - John Cleese

Because of historical reasons and strong cultural heritage and traditions of the people?

I think you're being quite generous. A lot of white people, particularly those who are quite isolated from other cultures, seem to think that non-white people are incapable of racism. Anyone who has spent a lot of time with British Indians will know that is not the case.

But even assuming you're correct, and it's their 'strong cultural heritage and tradition' which tells them they couldn't possibly be seen supporting white people at Grace Road, is that really something that we should be morally bound to accept?

Should they then also be offended if second-generation or later immigrants don't convert to Christianity or speak their indigenous language among themselves?

These are different issues and aren't comparable imo. But from what you've said it sounds like you would be happy for immigrants not to integrate at all? That's probably fine if you live in a white suburb of Copenhagen, but I'm not sure you'd feel the same way if you lived in an area that was 70% immigrants.

That's Whitechapel High Street, about 100 yards away from the East London mosque, so no wonder there's a load of ethnics around, well out of order of them! (well selected picture from the Daily Mail there)

It's also a heavily Bengali area, so those people originate from a country about 800 miles away from New Delhi, but I know it's tough when they all look the same and your brain is so tiny.

Don't comment on London if you don't know it, auslander.

I think you're being quite generous. A lot of white people, particularly those who are quite isolated from other cultures, seem to think that non-white people are incapable of racism. Anyone who has spent a lot of time with British Indians will know that is not the case.

But even assuming you're correct, and it's their 'strong cultural heritage and tradition' which tells them they couldn't possibly be seen supporting white people at Grace Road, is that really something that we should be morally bound to accept?

Reading between the lines, you're insinuating that I've been isolated from other cultures. I'm born and raised in possibly one of the most diverse cities of Europe, just to eradicate that point. And I'm certainly not saying that non-whites aren't capable of racism. I don't accept however, that support of their country of heritage should be interpreted as a racist slur towards their country of residents. Again, if racist abuse is shouted etc, then there's no excuse and they should be treated the same as racially abusing people at football matches, no question. And to answer your question, yes, I think people should support who they want in sports. Everyone has their reasons and who are you to question them?

These are different issues and aren't comparable imo. But from what you've said it sounds like you would be happy for immigrants not to integrate at all? That's probably fine if you live in a white suburb of Copenhagen, but I'm not sure you'd feel the same way if you lived in an area that was 70% immigrants.

Nope, on the contrary. I think integration is essential, but assimilation is not a necessity, at least not for a long, long while. And assimilation is what he was referring to and what I was opposing to. I've actually lived in areas of Copenhagen with relatively high percentages of 'non-ethnic Danes' and I can't say it's bothered me one bit. Yes, there are youths that don't behave and can intimidate, but I don't try to blame their culture for that. I'd even go so far as to say that I wouldn't want to live in a segregated white Danish for fear of being with people with as bigoted views as some people on here.

BLACK MAN WALKS INTO A RESTAURANT. A WHITE MAN SAYS "COLORED PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED IN HERE!" THE BLACK MAN SAYS, "WHEN I WAS BORN, I WAS BLACK, WHEN I'M COLD, I'M BLACK WHEN I'M SICK I'M BLACK, WHEN I DIE, I'LL BE BLACK. BUT WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU WERE PINK, WHEN YOU'RE COLD YOU'RE BLUE, WHEN YOU'RE SICK YOU'RE GREEN, WHEN YOUR SCARED YOUR YELLOW, WHEN YOU DIE, YOU'LL BE PURPLE. YET YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME COLORED ?!?!"

Sorry about the caps I copied/pasted from Facebook.

I thank God i did not say our dress ect is superior ! lol lol (may get called a racist ) Come folks all this talk about supporting different football cubs is a Red Herring . I was of course alluding to NATIONAL FLAGS sorry to have to highlight that but it seems to have slipped under the mat.. Firstly in answer to the chap ozle who lived in Australia for forty years but never integrated and supported England all the while he lived there, I suspect the Aussies were glad to see the back of you and i don't blame them . When you immigrate to a country and take out citizenship it is common decency to embrace that country and all it stands for including it's national flag, or what is the point of going there in the first place . Is that too much to ask after that country and it's citizens have offered you a home ? No wonder the Aussies hate those little Englanders . Could you blame the Aussies if on seeing and hearing these ungrateful immigrants waving union jacks and chanting for England they thought " If England is so great why don't you Feck off back there then " Because that is how i feel about British born Indians doing the same here .I also wish to make it plain I have no problem what so ever with anyone no matter what creed or religion settling here . I do how ever have a problem with those who refuse to learn our language and isolate themselves from main stream living in the UK and indeed pour scorn on our way of life . If that males me a racist there are a awful lot of us about .

BLACK MAN WALKS INTO A RESTAURANT. A WHITE MAN SAYS "COLORED PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED IN HERE!" THE BLACK MAN SAYS, "WHEN I WAS BORN, I WAS BLACK, WHEN I'M COLD, I'M BLACK WHEN I'M SICK I'M BLACK, WHEN I DIE, I'LL BE BLACK. BUT WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU WERE PINK, WHEN YOU'RE COLD YOU'RE BLUE, WHEN YOU'RE SICK YOU'RE GREEN, WHEN YOUR SCARED YOUR YELLOW, WHEN YOU DIE, YOU'LL BE PURPLE. YET YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME COLORED ?!?!"

Sorry about the caps I copied/pasted from Facebook.

Racist.

I thank God i did not say our dress ect is superior ! lol lol (may get called a racist ) Come folks all this talk about supporting different football cubs is a Red Herring . I was of course alluding to NATIONAL FLAGS sorry to have to highlight that but it seems to have slipped under the mat.. Firstly in answer to the chap ozle who lived in Australia for forty years but never integrated and supported England all the while he lived there, I suspect the Aussies were glad to see the back of you and i don't blame them . When you immigrate to a country and take out citizenship it is common decency to embrace that country and all it stands for including it's national flag . Is that too much to ask after that country and it's citizens have offered you a home ? No wonder the Aussies hate those little Englanders . Could you blame the Aussies if on seeing and hearing these ungrateful immigrants waving union jacks and chanting for England they thought " If England is so great why don't you Feck off back there then " Because that is how i feel about British born Indians doing the same here .

I thank God i did not say our dress ect is superior ! lol lol (may get called a racist ) Come folks all this talk about supporting different football cubs is a Red Herring . I was of course alluding to NATIONAL FLAGS sorry to have to highlight that but it seems to have slipped under the mat.. Firstly in answer to the chap ozle who lived in Australia for forty years but never integrated and supported England all the while he lived there, I suspect the Aussies were glad to see the back of you and i don't blame them . When you immigrate to a country and take out citizenship it is common decency to embrace that country and all it stands for including it's national flag, or what is the point of going there in the first place . Is that too much to ask after that country and it's citizens have offered you a home ? No wonder the Aussies hate those little Englanders . Could you blame the Aussies if on seeing and hearing these ungrateful immigrants waving union jacks and chanting for England they thought " If England is so great why don't you Feck off back there then " Because that is how i feel about British born Indians doing the same here .I also wish to make it plain I have no problem what so ever with anyone no matter what creed or religion settling here . I do how ever have a problem with those who refuse to learn our language and isolate themselves from main stream living in the UK and indeed pour scorn on our way of life . If that males me a racist there are a awful lot of us about .

Perhaps youd like to answer the question i posed, if you move out of Leicestershire...will you stop supporting Leicester?

and i assume you have migrated and assimilated given your "knowledge' as to what is expected, also, should i assimilate to the aboriginal way of life, the british/australian, the italian/australian. the vietnamese/australian way of life.?

How many times do i have to repeat I am talking about moving from country to country NOT county to county and once again we are not talking supporting football or cricket cubs this is a much bigger issue . And yes I have been to Oz and heard what they think of our so called ex pats and i agree with every word the Aussies said . Please stick to the issues being discussed and stop trying to side track or don't bother at all .

Just tell me, what would your definition of 'integration' be exactly? Not looking for a dictionary definition, of course, but more an example of someone you'd describe as having 'integrated'.

Cos all your talk of national flags and sporting preferences makes me wonder. If "Mr Patel" has come over from India to live in Leicester, speaks fluent English, works a steady 9-5 job at BBC Radio Leicester, buys his morning paper from John Smith's Newsagent, is a regular at The Nag's Head with his new-found English mates from work, drives an Austin Metro he bought from Bob down the road, but decides to support India whenever they play cricket (and proudly waves his country's flag in the away section), would you say that he hasn't integrated? :dunno:

Genuinely curious...

Come folks all this talk about supporting different football cubs is a Red Herring . I was of course alluding to NATIONAL FLAGS sorry to have to highlight that but it seems to have slipped under the mat..

I give up, sorry! I just can't relate to someone with such an archaic view of the world and such a simplistic understanding of migration and integration.

After having done all of those things I would question why he still feels he has to support India above his adopted home that he so clearly has integrated in .

To preserve a part of him that he feels makes him the person he is? To add diversity to society.

Are the Italians who live in Glasgow wrong to open Italian restaurants, fly the Italian flag and support Italy in the football? Does it not add to the diversity and rich culture of Glasgow?

After having done all of those things I would question why he still feels he has to support India above his adopted home that he so clearly has integrated in .

Because he still has ties to it. Why is that SUCH an issue for you? I can understand where you're coming from if the individual doesn't fit the bill above but what is your problem with someone continuing to follow the sports team they have all their life?

You'll dismiss this but if you moved abroad would you stop supporting Leicester, cut all ties with them and support a new local team?

Why would you question it?

Most people would assume he still supported India because that was his team, long before he came over to England.

Ok, but he's still free to support whoever he wants, is he not? And to be quite honest, I'm not sure why it's even a problem. Remember that he's an Indian man from an Indian background... that's surely enough reason to support India? I certainly wouldn't start supporting New Zealand if I decided to pack my bags and move there tomorrow. I'd probably develop a soft spot for them and want them to do well, but not against England, that's for sure.

Oh God how many times do I have to say this I'm not talking about football or cricket or any other sport I am talking about waving national flags and the obvious allegiance to it . Is that to hard to understand ?

They have been brought up that way. Their allegiances lie with that country.

Is that too hard to understand?

Archived