Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

London no longer English - John Cleese

My link

Mass immigration has turned London into a city that is 'no longer English', John Cleese claims.

The former Monty Python star says he now feels like a foreigner walking through the capital's streets.

California-based Cleese, 71, moved to the U.S. more than two decades ago, having grown up in Somerset.The comic was asked what he thought about British culture and the recent London riots during an interview on 7.30, a television show in Australia, where he is currently on a stand-up tour.

He replied: 'I'm not sure what's going on in Britain. Or, let me say this – I don't know what's going on in London, because London is no longer an English city.

'That's how we got the Olympics.

'They said we were the most cosmopolitan city on Earth. But it doesn't feel English.

'I had a Californian friend come over two months ago, walk down the King's Road and say, "Where are all the English people?"

'I mean, I love having different cultures around. But when the parent culture kind of dissipates, you're left thinking, "Well, what's going on?" Far-Right group the English Defence League seized on Cleese's comments yesterday, posting a link to them on its Twitter page. A spokesman for London mayor Boris Johnson said: 'If the King's Road is jam-packed with foreign tourists then that is something we should celebrate.'

And former mayor Ken Livingstone – currently standing for the post again – said: 'To stay competitive, London must be what New York is to the U.S., a global centre of business, culture and innovation, none of which can be achieved without people of all nations working and living here.' The comedian was praised by UKIP leader Nigel Farage for articulating 'what an increasing number of people in London are thinking'.

He added: 'For him to make these remarks shows a tremendous strength of feeling on this matter.

'Of course other cultures are welcome, but Mr Cleese is right to point out that it should not be at the expense of the parent culture.'

Of the eight million people who currently live in Greater London, 2.7million residents were born outside the UK, and more than 300 languages are spoken in the city.

article-2032956-08377CE0000005DC-791_468x310.jpg

No doubt Cleese will be slated for saying that but I have to agree with him, and well done to him for expressing the fears of many thousands of English people. It goes to show that you don't have to be a skinhead EDL thug to oppose mass immigration. Looks and feels more like downtown Delhi to me.

My link

No doubt Cleese will be slated for saying that but I have to agree with him, and well done to him for expressing the fears of many thousands of English people. It goes to show that you don't have to be a skinhead EDL thug to oppose mass immigration. Looks and feels more like downtown Delhi to me.

I'm not sure why you are so uncomfortable with diversity.

What scares you so much about losing a white majority in areas of a major city?

Cleese is an old man, who two decades ago went to live as an immigrant somewhere else....... but that's okay because he's white and blends in, in ~ California?

As travel, communications, borders modernise in a free market, this is how societies develop. In a few decades nationality will become less obvious and relevant - the important thing for me is that cultures change, merge and develop.

It's not integration that's a problem, it's how integration is dealt with in terms of understanding, tolerance, education, from a community based perspective.

Keeping Britain / England 'white' is a outdated concept. Think about Royalty historically - they integrated with other international royals for market purposes and because they were in the minority who had access to travel and dialogue with other countries.

Tell me what good comes out of harbouring your beliefs and values?

If you want more integrated harmonious communities, wouldn't your energy be better spent working out how you can facilitate this?

English people are so bastardised due to the amount of invading countries, it's incredible we are still widely considered a white nation.

I wish you would post your values - not just what you believe but why you believe this stuff - what underpins the narrative of your identity and sculpts your prejudice?

Lot's of work there for you............

Cleese used to be funny... now hes an old twat.

'London is no longer English, California is no longer american, Sydney is no longer Australian."

Grow up you pack of fvckwits... The EARTH is still the EARTH, we are all one people

Its not 1940 for christs sake. So what if 1 in 3(ish) people who live in the capital are not 'English' so long as they contribute to society and pay their taxes what difference does it really make? Like it has been said above, the most vibrant well known cities in the world are labelled these things because of their diversity, their ability to provide for different cultures from all over the globe.

I think what Mr.Cheese originally said has been blown out of proportion by the likes of the EDL and turned into something that it was never meant to be.

'Of course other cultures are welcome, but Mr Cleese is right to point out that it should not be at the expense of the parent culture.'

WHAT THE **** is all this "parent culture" bullshit about? Culture evolves, develops, it's never the same from one year to the next and never has been.

Worrying about being "overrun" by immigrants is just a truly pathetic display of foundation-less insecurity from backwards tosspots whose basic uselessness in life means they feel threatened by better people entering the country.

The level of multiculturalism in this country is possibly my single favourite thing about it, and London is arguably the world's best city because of that and many other aspects.

I like John Cleese's comedy characters. Clearly the man is just an ancient relic who'd be better off not providing racist dickheads with what they use as "justification" for their beliefs, just because he is a respected actor.

WHAT THE **** is all this "parent culture" bullshit about? Culture evolves, develops, it's never the same from one year to the next and never has been.

Worrying about being "overrun" by immigrants is just a truly pathetic display of foundation-less insecurity from backwards tosspots whose basic uselessness in life means they feel threatened by better people entering the country.

The level of multiculturalism in this country is possibly my single favourite thing about it, and London is arguably the world's best city because of that and many other aspects.

I like John Cleese's comedy characters. Clearly the man is just an ancient relic who'd be better off not providing racist dickheads with what they use as "justification" for their beliefs, just because he is a respected actor.

Great post.

Look at the photo in post 1 it hasnt been doctored.

What, the photo that shows a street in London filled with a mixture of different cultures and ethnicities getting on happily with their daily lives in and amongst each other? Wow you're right, that's just shocking!

What, the photo that shows a street in London filled with a mixture of different cultures and ethnicities getting on happily with their daily lives in and amongst each other? Wow you're right, that's just shocking!

The thing is, that picture could have been taken in any English city, not just London...

I have family in Hornchurch (Essex), which is on the District line (tube) and have been into the city many many times..

Love it.. It is full of tourists but thats the appeal that London has on people around the world..

Taking a walk up to China town for a tub of chow mien from one of the street vendors, the sights the smells... Brill..

:)

Urghhh!!

I miss the times when on our fair shores we could walk around naked, paint ourselves blue and worship stones. Then those bloody Germans had to come over here from Angeln and Saxony and those sodding French from Normany and the Danes from Jutland. Atleast we're English now though, whatever that means.

Urghhh!!

I miss the times when on our fair shores we could walk around naked, paint ourselves blue and worship stones. Then those bloody Germans had to come over here from Angeln and Saxony and those sodding French from Normany and the Danes from Jutland. Atleast we're English now though, whatever that means.

You forgot about the Romans... But what did they ever do for us...

My link

What fear? And don't hide behind the 'many thousands of English people' moniker, come forward and explain your phobia.

I'm sure nobody would've complained when we went into countires and colonised them, demanding that they all speak our language and massacre their people so that we could build an Empire and prosper.

France has the same problem with their former colonies, like Algeria. So we're basically allowed to over run a nation and culture to force them into becoming loyal subjects of our Empire but we won't let them live in our country afterwards. Seems fair :rolleyes:

Err the fear of being blown up on a bus or tube by fundamental Islamic immigrants is that plain enough for you ?

I fear for being over run by chavs and their children because of poor sex education and anti abortion, that'll be the Christians then. Not as shocking as terrorism though is it.

Archived