Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

80s Classics

2 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

So at some point in the early 90s and I'm listening to John Peel and a song comes on that blew me away. Before Spotify, before using filesharing apps like Limewire... where you can listen to a song and then instantly check out their entire back catalogue. So back in the 90s, I'm like that's a great song. What was the name. A few days later and I'm standing in a local record shop, one of those places now largely gone, filled with vinyl, band posters and band T-shirts hanging off the wall. And I couldn't remember the name. What I remember is the band's name has got a religious connection. Yeah, that's pretty vague. So I get to digging. And for some reason this band is what I decided must be it. 

It wasn't but I'd just found one of the greatest bands ever. Mad they made some of the greatest albums of the 80s (and early 90s) but never get the recognition they deserve. 

Darklands <3

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 09:03, Hoopla10 said:

So at some point in the early 90s and I'm listening to John Peel and a song comes on that blew me away. Before Spotify, before using filesharing apps like Limewire... where you can listen to a song and then instantly check out their entire back catalogue. So back in the 90s, I'm like that's a great song. What was the name. A few days later and I'm standing in a local record shop, one of those places now largely gone, filled with vinyl, band posters and band T-shirts hanging off the wall. And I couldn't remember the name. What I remember is the band's name has got a religious connection. Yeah, that's pretty vague. So I get to digging. And for some reason this band is what I decided must be it. 

It wasn't but I'd just found one of the greatest bands ever. Mad they made some of the greatest albums of the 80s (and early 90s) but never get the recognition they deserve. 

I agree with your assessment.

Quite by accident, I saw them as a support act in 1984, when they'd just started out - they were supporting The Mekons, who I'd gone to see.

Probably the best gig I ever attended. A lot of that was down to The Mekons, but a lot was also the Mary Chain, despite their contribution being 20 minutes of strangled guitars, feedback & drum-kicking. Sounds naff, but absolutely wasn't.

I saw them again about 87-88 (around the time of April Skies?) - excellent again, though a lot more melodic and polished by then, though still with an edge.

Hilarious video here from their early years, in case you've not seen it....

• Like 4