Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

27 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It's a great evening indeed. Just a slight correction 'the big blue' is Melbourne Victory v Sydney Fc the original derby before these new teams were formed.

Should be a cracking game though with plenty of goals

Ah my bad mate! I remember now.

Just seen an INCREDIBLE strike from Cahill!!

A smaller scandal at the 1860 Munich vs. Erzgebirge Aue game in the 2. Bundesliga, as the referee sends off an Aue player for allegedly using his hand on the line during a goal-line clearance - when in fact, the player was legitimately using his head:

If you only get time to watch one game this weekend (apart from City), get yersen in front of a big screen to watch the 'Big Blue'. Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory, at Sydney. There's always fireworks, goals, big crowds and an amazing atmosphere.

Sydney have made a great start to the campaign, whilst The Victory last week dealt Wellington Phoenix a 6-1 hammering with Berisha on great form.

Get all the gen on the next round of games here:

http://www.a-league.com.au/

16 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Messi's new tattoo has to be the worst for a footballer surely.

_92332513_messireuters.jpg

He was just bored of his old one and didn't want to use laser technology to erase it because of the scars it leaves behind, so he just covered it all up in black ink. That's my theory.

13 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

RB Leipzig top Bundesliga, unbeaten after 11 games.

First newly-promoted team to lead the table with an unbeaten record after 10 matches in 23 years (MSV Duisburg in 1993).

Forsberg is an extraordinary footballer, like what he's doing. Say what you want about their rise through the leagues and the financial backing, Leipzig have bought well and are rather strict with their "no footballer under the age of 25" rule.

Edited by MC Prussian

Nice to see a promoted team doing great.

But can't understand why they're branded a 'controversial' club?

I know Red Bull own them or something but they're a decent, respected organisation themselves.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

43 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Nice to see a promoted team doing great.

But can't understand why they're branded a 'controversial' club?

I know Red Bull own them or something but they're a decent, respected organisation themselves.

Two things, Wymsey.

Firstly, they're not a decent, respectable business. They sell poisonous piss water that they've duped on saps with heavy marketing.

They've also gone in to numerous sports, overtaken established teams, forced their heavy marketing on them and taken their identities.

Next they've then pumped in enormous amounts of cash to buy success in whatever sport it is with pure brute force. They're no more likeable and no more an underdog in the Bundesliga as Chelsea or Man City in the premier league.

We're hardly in a position to bemoan ownership by a benefactor, but there's a world of difference between our pragmatic business model and their buying-the-league approach.

Secondly, you have to remember that the German clubs are still very much about high levels of fan ownership. Bayer Leverkusen and Wolfsburg already get a lot of stick in Germany because they're backed by major multi nationals. Now, personally, this I think is stupid. Factory teams - which they are - make up a big part of the history of the sport. Nobody questions the identity of, say, PSV Eindhoven (or Vauxhall Motors FC!)

But Red Bull (and Hoffenheim) are considered essentially blasphemy in Germany because of their business models. It's a shame, really, because Leipzig probably does deserve a big football club but it could and should have been done more respectfully with an investor buying a 40% stake, stabilising them and promoting them in to a natural and steady growth.

I'll concede that Red Bull do invest a reasonable amount in some grass roots sports but I have to say, the overwhelming cynic in me only sees that as shameless self promotion. All told, I can't stand them as a company.

• Like 3