Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

Half way through the first book and loving it. With my rubbish memory it's a challenge remembering who everyone is and all the history but at the same can't help but admire the sheer scope of the story unfolding.

Just wait until you're on book 4 or 5. So. Many. Characters. :P

It does help looking things up as you read. I think there's a good wiki for the series and after you've looked a lot of stuff up you kind of piece together houses and what has happened in each over the last few generations. There's good back-story that's only really mentioned in parts in the book that explains the history, like why everyone hates everyone.

Just wait until you're on book 4 or 5. So. Many. Characters. :P

It does help looking things up as you read. I think there's a good wiki for the series and after you've looked a lot of stuff up you kind of piece together houses and what has happened in each over the last few generations. There's good back-story that's only really mentioned in parts in the book that explains the history, like why everyone hates everyone.

So it gets like Eastenders?

Yeah have used that Wiki site and found a nice family tree illustration online which helped. Reading on a Kindle as well so search function is amazingly useful. What a read though. Really not a fan of fantasy normally, haven't even read Lord of the Rings but really enjoying this.

just finished watching the first season after reading about it on here, thought it was ok, hence watching them all, didnt have me gripped like some other progams though( 24, prison break, sons of anarchy, breaking bad, the wire) , the episodes didnt seem to follow on very well either i thought.. still going to watch teh 2nd series though.

Thought it was a good start to the series, not a massive amount happened but things rarely do in the first episodes of series. Having the family tree and map that you get with the blu-ray box set definitely helped though I am useless with names and linking people to each other.

whats the quality like of the 2nd episode? I think it's a rip of a web-broadcast?

Yeah, it got released/leaked in Poland and was uploaded. Really decent quality though, although the title sequence is ever so slightly sped up for some reason :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've stuck with this and enjoying the book immensely now (man it was slow to get going). I like how most of the endearing characters are the ones that are looked down on... Jon, Tyrion, Arya.

I never even gave that thought before, interesting theme.

I really enjoy how each characters' own chapter has their own style, not only with their speech but in the rest of the prose as well. I think the author really captured each individuals' identity really well.

I've stuck with this and enjoying the book immensely now (man it was slow to get going). I like how most of the endearing characters are the ones that are looked down on... Jon, Tyrion, Arya.

I'll add Brienne to that list.

you can thank me again after reading the next couple of books.

Probably my 4 favourite characters too.

I like how even the bad have some good and the good have some bad in them. However book 4 seems to have forgotten that and even though I'm enjoying it, it's not as good.

jaime is an interesting and complex character too.