Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Captain?

Part of the reason we had a bad start last season might have been because Sven chose the wrong captain.

Choosing Matt Mills as captain basically set up two camps in the dressing room. A camp of highly paid new players behind Mills, and the old guard who thought Wellens should be captain. Sven tried to fight this fire by increasing the contracts of several of the existing players, including Wellens and Gallagher, but the damage was already done.

The next split in the dressing room came about when Pearson returned and favoured his old players over some of the new ones. Some players were able to settle their differences with Pearson, some weren't.

The point is...it is more important to choose a captain that the majority of players will respect than choosing one the fans will like.

If Wellens is our captain I give up. I'd rather not have a captain. I'd rather play with ten men. I'd rather just forfeit games than have to watch him captain us any more. That is all.

If Wellens is our captain I give up. I'd rather not have a captain. I'd rather play with ten men. I'd rather just forfeit games than have to watch him captain us any more. That is all.

Wellens is the only one made of captain material in the squad, some of the players either don't have the right character like Mills... or perhaps are too insular in their own game on the pitch like Kasper (he barely shouts at the defence, never-mind guiding a whole squad). Wellens on the other hand constantly gee-ing other players up, guiding them & as we saw with Schlupps injury at Forest where he went down the tunnel with him on the stretcher... has a real empathy that other players would like.

Morgan probably is a leader too. He'd be my tip.

I'm worried...

This forum makes me worried from time to time...

Is anyone seriously thinking that Jermaine Beckford has 'captaincy' credentials?

Does it not occur to people that falling on your arse, standing about a lot and constant moaning at officials makes not a good role model for your peers?

Why not go the whole hog, sack Nige and get Sousa back?

Or better still, let's sign Joey as 'ambassador of football?'

lol

Yeah alright, calm down, it's not actually going to happen.

More than likely going to be Danns or a new centre back / Morgan. I like Schmeichel, but feel if he had the armband he'd be a bit too over the top. Sometimes, his 'rants' don't have much substance and look like they're for show with all the pointing and fingers to the temples etc. I noticed Morgan usually turns away when he starts all the theatrics. :P

More than likely going to be Danns or a new centre back / Morgan. I like Schmeichel, but feel if he had the armband he'd be a bit too over the top. Sometimes, his 'rants' don't have much substance and look like they're for show with all the pointing and fingers to the temples etc. I noticed Morgan usually turns away when he starts all the theatrics. :P

Agree!

Wellens is the only one made of captain material in the squad, some of the players either don't have the right character like Mills... or perhaps are too insular in their own game on the pitch like Kasper (he barely shouts at the defence, never-mind guiding a whole squad). Wellens on the other hand constantly gee-ing other players up, guiding them & as we saw with Schlupps injury at Forest where he went down the tunnel with him on the stretcher... has a real empathy that other players would like.

Morgan probably is a leader too. He'd be my tip.

Wellens captain material? So why was he not skipper in either of his first two seasons?

There were too many occasions last season where we looked to him for leadership and it simply wasn't there. The home and away games with Bristol City and Millwall spring to mind.

His record as a captain is nowhere near good enough - and with Danns, James, Drinkwater and King competing for a maximum of three places in central midfield, even his place in the side must be in serious doubt.

Most over the top post in history?

Is that a promise?

C'mon Nige make Richie skipper!!

Please....

This is difficult because i cant see anyone guaranteed a starting place next season. Im not a fan of keepers being captains so i wont say kasper. Id probablly say Konchesky but looks like he's off unfortuantly

Archived