Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
burni

Kasper In Denmark's Euro Squad

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/17248/7784667/Sorensen-out-of-Euro-2012

Stoke City's Thomas Sorensen has been ruled out of Denmark's Euro 2012 squad with Kasper Schmeichel of Leicester City called up in his place.

Sorensenspacer.gif suffered a back injury during training and that has now ended his European Championship dreams.

Schmeichelspacer.gif has now been drafted in as the third keeper behind Stephan Andersenspacer.gif and Anders Lindegaard.

"Thomas has suffered an injury in his back," said Morten Olsen.spacer.gif

"It means unfortunately that it is unlikely that he will recover in time to be available for matches for the finals."

Sorensen was hugely disappointed to miss out, saying: "I am deeply unhappy about it. I've been with the team for most of qualifying, and had looked forward to my fifth finals with the national team.

"But I also understand that it is a big risk to go with an injured goalkeeper and therefore I respect Morten's decision, even if it hurts."

Olsen insists he had no qualms about calling up uncapped Schmeichel, saying: "He has worked seriously on his development as a goalkeeper, and we followed him closely during the season for Leicester.spacer.gif"

Great opportunity for Kasper and could really help with his development, but could possibly draw attention from a bigger club. Good luck Kasper!

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere,

I was surprised he was behind Stephan Andersen in the rankings but a good chance for him.

To think our stand-by keeper was Jack Butland and theirs was Kasper Schmeichel :rolleyes:

Great for Kasper, and slightly unexpected too. The media we're tipping either Jesper Hansen from newly-crowned champions FC Nordsjælland or Jonas Lössl from FC Midtjylland, to step in if Sørensen's injury was too severe. Andersen has been second keeper for years now, and with him now being first choice at Evian, that doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. Lindegaard will probably leapfrog him though once Sørensen ends his career.

I was surprised he was behind Stephan Andersen in the rankings but a good chance for him.

To think our stand-by keeper was Jack Butland and theirs was Kasper Schmeichel :rolleyes:

doesn't say much for Scott Carson or David Stockdale that a league 2 keeper got the call up

Because he's third at the moment, and i've never heard of Stephan Andersen, chill

So because you've never heard of him you think Kasper is now the number 2 in front of a player who was originally called up :S

So because you've never heard of him you think Kasper is now the number 2 in front of a player who was originally called up :S

back in 02 Trevor Sinclair replaced Gerrard due to injury and played every game

back in 02 Trevor Sinclair replaced Gerrard due to injury and played every game

I see your point, but I don't think its the same situation. Keepers are vying for one place whereas outfield players can fill numerous.

I see your point, but I don't think its the same situation. Keepers are vying for one place whereas outfield players can fill numerous.

the United lad has just come back from injury recently, so its not massively out of the question, he might make his debut in their next friendly

the United lad has just come back from injury recently, so its not massively out of the question, he might make his debut in their next friendly

Yeah possibly, although I still think Lindergard will start for them in the Euros

At last a goalkeeper of ours is given international recognition, after Weale was disgracefully overlooked by Capello a couple of years ago despite the calls on this forum for selection.

At last a goalkeeper of ours is given international recognition, after Weale was disgracefully overlooked by Capello a couple of years ago despite the calls on this forum for selection.

lol

Always chilled mate, just interested in your thinking. Andersen has 9 caps so it would seem he will get a chance before Kasper.

"Easily number two" wasn't a serious statement so don't worry aha!

Happy for Kasper, fantastic for him.

Lindegaard will probably start, but just to go to Euro 2012 is a great experience for him.

To cap off his award winning season for us, now in the Denmark squad.

Nice one Kasper, nice one

Archived