Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

Championship will be toughest in years!

But surely that was the same last year. Only every year some teams you expect to do well end up struggling and some you expect to struggle do well. Who would have predicted Forest's season this time last year? Or on the other hand that Southampton would do so well!

The league is always tough but i don't see it any harder than previous years!

Year on year the Championship is a strange division to call and to get right.

Who'd of thought that the Saints and Reading would fly like they did last season.

There are always some teams who flatter to deceive, like we did last season in spectacular fashion lol and then there are some that get on a roll and succeed on momentum.

For me, this makes it a fascinating division and better in some ways than the Prem.

I DO think that this season is going to be particularly tough though. The relegated three have been established Prem teams for quite some time, so even if they have to sell to buy, they should still retain the nuclei of squads more than able to compete at this level.

Also, if they need to sell, they can buy, in the same way as West Ham did last year.

Finally, the promoted teams shouldn't be a pushover this season either. Charlton were on a roll, Sheff Weds are a big club with a good manager and going to Huddersfield on a cold winters eve won't be an easy proposition.

I think it's gonna be tough this season. However, like England, I get the feeling that City Fans, unlike last season, don't have particularly high expectations, given the fact that we are again rebuilding.

Hand on heart, I can't see us getting automatic promotion, given the squads as they exist NOW.

Then again, the transfer window isn't even open yet so it's early days.

At least attempt an explanation...

lol

Is it any tougher in terms of quality? No.

It's a hard division for us because we don't get stuck in away from home enough. A lot of it is played in the head. If we're up for it we should do better.

But I can't see how it's tougher this year compared to last year, or the year before.

The Championship will be tough, as it always is, but I don't see why it should be tougher than last season. I reckon the bookies are over-rating us, putting us as favourites, with the current squad, but a couple of additions, a more settled, hungrier squad than 12 months ago and we should do better than 11/12.

Everyone assumes that all the relegated clubs will be in contention, but that rarely happens. Are Bolton, Blackburn & Wolves stronger than West Ham, Birmingham & Blackpool were 12 months ago? All 3 relegated clubs have players who'll be cherry-picked by Premier clubs; they'll be replaced, but how well? Wolves ended last season in disarray and Blackburn in the Championship are no great magnet to good players.

Likewise, are Charlton, Sheff Wed & Huddersfield stronger than Saints, Brighton & Posh were? All of them are making a jump up; I'd imagine the first 2, at least, will acquit themselves OK, but I doubt they'll do a Southampton or Norwich and go straight through to the Premier.

I can also see 1 or 2 of the old "big names" (Cardiff, Leeds, Boro) continuing to under-perform due to lack of funding or declining squads.

Far too early to tell, of course, before squads are assembled during the transfer window, but with NP having a full pre-season to work on organisation & attitude - and probably only a couple of players short of a decent 1st team squad - I'd expect us to do better than last year, assuming no crazy upheaval ensues.

Blackburn seemingly are a decent magnet though given they've just signed Danny Murphy. As good a centre mid as there will be next season in the championship.

Hadn't noticed that one...surprised at that signing.

There are a lot of good teams, but their fans are going to be looking at us just like we are looking at them and thinking, they've got a manager who has taken sides with a much smaller budget into the top six, a manager with Championship experience, and they'll be willing to spend a bit of money. It's going to be tough but I think we're more than capable of being one of those teams challenging for promotion. We just need to make sure we do things well and not worry about the other teams, we've got no reason to fear any of the clubs in this division.

And despite losing Hoilett and no doubt probably Yakubu an possibly Dann and N'zonzi but they still have a very solid squad. Pedersen, Dunn, Goodwillie, Olsson, Lowe, Formica. I think Blackburn will be a serious contender to win it. Not as worried by Wolves and the promoted teams.

I think they will be strong as well, although others on here don't agree. I still think Bolton are the strongest though, looking at their squad. Actually, the whole of Lancashire is a threat with Blackpool and Burnley up there as well.

Usual suspects of Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Birmingham might challenge, three big clubs in Nottingham Forest, Derby and Leeds will be around the top 10, I still rekon Huddersfield are worth a decent shout, Hull, Brighton, Dave Jones knows his stuff, and has the experience, at Sheffield Wednesday although their squad doesn't look that strong, Wolves might challenge as well, etc. And Ipswich (forgot about them).

A lot of teams, it's going to be another tight season.

I think they will be strong as well, although others on here don't agree. I still think Bolton are the strongest though, looking at their squad. Actually, the whole of Lancashire is a threat with Blackpool and Burnley up there as well.

Usual suspects of Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Birmingham might challenge, three big clubs in Nottingham Forest, Derby and Leeds will be around the top 10, I still rekon Huddersfield are worth a decent shout, Hull, Brighton, Dave Jones knows his stuff, and has the experience, at Sheffield Wednesday although their squad doesn't look that strong, Wolves might challenge as well, etc.

A lot of teams, it's going to be another tight season.

:blink:

It's a hard division for us because we don't get stuck in away from home enough. A lot of it is played in the head. If we're up for it we should do better.

Then we should play in cooling's head, there's less stuff to get in the way.

i said we wouldn't go up last season and that we'd run away and win the league this season. Based on the fact we have a quality manager. Nigel will spread his magic and make fans realise how good he was first time around.

Archived