Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Nigel Pearson reveals summer target - not earth shattering news.

Merc

Nigel Pearson wants to add a centre back to his Leicester City squad before the start of the new season.

The City boss has sold Matt Mills and Sol Bamba this summer, and released Aleksandar Tunchev.

• 3956720.png
    Leicester boss Nigel Pearson is understood to want Hull defender James Chester

While he was cagey about possible new signings, he did say he would look to bring in a new centraldefender.

Pearson is understood to want Hull defender James Chester.

Pearson has whittled down his squad to what he sees as a more manageable number than when he first succeeded Sven-Goran Eriksson last year, but he said he was still looking to add quality.

"With Sol and Matt Mills leaving, we clearly need to bring in a centre-back," he said. "That apart, we will see what we can do.

"We may do some more business. It is important to try and keep the balance in the squad right and improve the quality.

"There is a workable number in the squad. We had an awful lot of players last season. It must be around 20 who have left since I arrived back.

"We have brought in six but I still think we need a competitive squad. So the number, whether it is around 24 or 25, is a decent number. In that, there will be a few fringe players.

"It is very hard to keep everyone happy when you have 30-plus first-team players."

Pearson said his decision to sell Mills and Bamba were in the best interests of City.

Mills was sold to Championship rivals Bolton for a fraction of the price City paid Reading just a year ago.

The 25-year-old had not played since the 3-2 defeat at Watford in February, so his exit was no surprise.

However, Bamba had become popular with supporters after his entertaining displays.

The Ivory Coast international was sold to Turkish side Trabzonspor for £750,000 last month.

"We have sold Matt Mills and Sol but it is my call to make decisions on what I think is best for the long-term future," he said.

Leicester City's much-awaited new strip will be revealed a week on Saturday.

The launch will coincide with a special open training session on Saturday, July 21.

Nigel Pearson's squad will be wearing the strip, manufactured by Puma, at King Power Stadium, in the session, which starts at 11am.

The new playing strip goes on sale at the Fanstore from 8am on that day.

Fans will be allowed into the Family Stand free from 10am to watch Pearson put his squad through their paces.

There will be no admission to the ground after 10.45am.

It will be a first chance for the Blue Army to see the first team's preparations for the new season, as well as new signings – striker Jamie Vardy, Ritchie De Laet and Matty James – in action.

Don't miss the Mercury for more news about the launch next week.

All sound & good common-sense.

Trimming the numbers for a tighter, more competitive unit with no one left unhappy on the sidelines is the way to go.

Pleased with the way things are going. Roll on the Sunderland friendly.

Where does Pearson actually say that he's got a specific target?

"With Sol and Matt Mills leaving, we clearly need to bring in a centre-back," he said.

By specific target the Merc are referring to a specific position not a specific player.

Winger? Target man? Not looking good...

So much for the "wait to see what Pearson can do now he got a bit of money to play with"

Maybe unlike Sven he understands the concept of financial managment.

Is the new centre back going to be a first team player or back up?

I doubt Morgan or St Ledger will be happy playing back up and if we do sign Chester surely he will be promised first team football otherwise why bother leaving Hull?

Dont think it works like that Royston....Not about buying a player to warm the bench!!

Surly you have 3-4 competant players in said position, and whoever impresses the most and plays well keeps their spot. Play shit, you get dropped. Simples

Well if there is anything to gleam from this, its clear that he has ear-marked Ritch De Laet for the RB role. Some where not sure if he would be played CB or RB as he can sort of do both.... but RB it is.

I still think we need a winger, unless Vardy or Nugent end up playing Left wing?

I wouldn't mind seeing a more combative midfielder as well, although Danns can perform that role well. I'm expecting a big season from him. Last year he was a bit soft for the first few months of the season and was definitely carrying too much weight. I expect him to pick up where he left off towards the end of last season.

Well unless his cards are very close to his chest that say's to me.

Front line happy midfield happy wide men happy keeper n full backs are fine.

So all we are looking for is 1 centre back.

So we can shut the transfer forum now :) :) :D

Dont think it works like that Royston....Not about buying a player to warm the bench!!

Surly you have 3-4 competant players in said position, and whoever impresses the most and plays well keeps their spot. Play shit, you get dropped. Simples

Thats how it should be but look at how St Ledger wanted out last season when he wasnt making the team. The players have no afinity to the club so if they arent playing they will just want to leave anyway.

Would Chester leave Hull where he is probably a guaranteed starter to come here where he isnt held in such high regard?

Basically what we all said. We knew he'd focus on getting a central defender first. Still like to see a target man and defensive midfielder before the season starts. We can add to that if we need to till the end of August or even loan someone in. All a sensible approach from Pearson anyway

Thats how it should be but look at how St Ledger wanted out last season when he wasnt making the team. The players have no afinity to the club so if they arent playing they will just want to leave anyway.

Would Chester leave Hull where he is probably a guaranteed starter to come here where he isnt held in such high regard?

And i'm sure :pearson: will not tolerate such behaviour. No-one is guarranteed a starting place, they have to earn it. Thats how it works, if they dont like it....cheerio :wave:

To be fair, SSL wasn't happy on the bench because he was trying to impress to get into Ireland's Euro squad. With there not being any major international tournament this year, I don't think SSL will mind so much being on the bench at times...

To be fair, SSL wasn't happy on the bench because he was trying to impress to get into Ireland's Euro squad. With there not being any major international tournament this year, I don't think SSL will mind so much being on the bench at times...

That could work the other way round though with SSL thinking because he played at Euro 2012 he should be playing week in week out at club level.

I get what Royston is saying with his post and it could be a problem imo. Let's wait and see.

Do people not see this is how it works? not just at leicester but throughout football?

Chelsea have Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Hutchinson, for two positions.... you cannot just have two good players for the cb position, long season and injuries etc everyone plays a part, if everyone is fit its up to them to earn the spot.

and no i'm not liking us to Chelsea before anyone say's lol

Well if there is anything to gleam from this, its clear that he has ear-marked Ritch De Laet for the RB role. Some where not sure if he would be played CB or RB as he can sort of do both.... but RB it is.

gleam is to shine brightly

glean is to extract information

Do people not see this is how it works? not just at leicester but throughout football?

Chelsea have Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Hutchinson, for two positions.... you cannot just have two good players for the cb position, long season and injuries etc everyone plays a part, if everyone is fit its up to them to earn the spot.

and no i'm not liking us to Chelsea before anyone say's lol

We do get it. Have any of those players you've mentioned come out in the press and said they want to leave though like SSL did when he wasn't playing?

Archived