Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

so here we are....

Mr Pearson has had most of his pre-season with the players. The general consensus last year was that NP suffered from Sven's 'mistakes', and that once he'd had a pre-season to build his own team, things would be better. Well here we are.

Luckily kasper has stayed, so we should be ok in his department, although his form did drop under NP last season.

We've had a reshuffle at the back. No major signings. This is one area in which I have faith in NP to get the balance about right, so it should be ok, although I can't see there being any improvement on last year.

We've added nothing worthy of note to the midfield. Last season we were overran time and again and there was no creativity from the midfield. In some games they might as well not even have turned up. Pearson stuck to his poorly performing favourites and will do so again this year. This will cost the club a shot at promotion and eventually Pearson his job.

Up front, again there has been no improvement. NP has added a hoofball plan b in futacs but when your plan a is hoofball up to Nugent it doesn't really help. With such poor service from midfield none of strikers will score more than 12 goals. Vardy will flop. Futacs will score 2 goals in about 30 late substitute appearances.

NP will be given time by our owners who will be keen to show that they realise the need for patience. But with us in 14th in late Jan they'll make the change, and then we'll all start talking about how the new manager needs a pre-season, and thus the cycle of failure continues

What is this? Go back over all the signings with an open mind, and you'll see how ridiculous this reads. We have yet to see a league match with any of the new guys, but Pearson's signings so far make the squad look a lot more versatile than we at the start of last season. Don't be an idiot.

Mr Pearson has had most of his pre-season with the players. The general consensus last year was that NP suffered from Sven's 'mistakes', and that once he'd had a pre-season to build his own team, things would be better. Well here we are.

Luckily kasper has stayed, so we should be ok in his department, although his form did drop under NP last season.

We've had a reshuffle at the back. No major signings. This is one area in which I have faith in NP to get the balance about right, so it should be ok, although I can't see there being any improvement on last year.

We've added nothing worthy of note to the midfield. Last season we were overran time and again and there was no creativity from the midfield. In some games they might as well not even have turned up. Pearson stuck to his poorly performing favourites and will do so again this year. This will cost the club a shot at promotion and eventually Pearson his job.

Up front, again there has been no improvement. NP has added a hoofball plan b in futacs but when your plan a is hoofball up to Nugent it doesn't really help. With such poor service from midfield none of strikers will score more than 12 goals. Vardy will flop. Futacs will score 2 goals in about 30 late substitute appearances.

NP will be given time by our owners who will be keen to show that they realise the need for patience. But with us in 14th in late Jan they'll make the change, and then we'll all start talking about how the new manager needs a pre-season, and thus the cycle of failure continues

brilliant post! nothing like being optomistic is there. we've not even played a league game yet.

moose brain, not moose breath

:| really? that is what you think?? Must be a WUM surely?? I'm sure even the biggest NP haters on here agree that AT LEAST one of his signings has improved the squad from last season? you my friend are in a league of your own and if you could stay there that would be grand!

We have added more pace and quality in the wide areas i.e Vardy and Knockaert.

We have a target man that isn't useless and falling to pieces aka Howard.

That defensive lynchpin in the centre of the park would be nice and I feel probably be the last piece in the jigsaw, but if we don't sign him, then the squad at present is good enough for the playoffs as a minimum, and if we get that consistency in performances from all the team than automatic promotion is a possibility.

You've had a mare mate. Pearson will get it right, signing big names with a big name manager didn't work - time for a different approach to this promotion thing.

Moose Breath, change you name to shitbreath because that my friend is what you are talking!

i do feel we need to strengthen physically in the midfield. we have tons of options but i feel players like king, drinkwater, marshall will be best utilised with a foil allowing them to play their natural game. for me that foil isn't dans or wellness. both are good players but have proven to be too inconsistent. this is what concerns me is that fundamentally our midfield hasn't hanged much from last season. its full of players with good ability but so inconsistent.

however, the proof is in the pudding and we will see if it clicks when the league season kicks off. i enjoy watching them play when they are on their game its just getting the right combinations in the middle which i feel will give us that consistency.

if we play 'hoofball' at times when its right then fine. i feel too much is made of this. its almost as if if pearsons dour demeanour suggests we must play hoofball all the time when actually we don't and never did under him.

theres good pace in attack and we needed a target man as an option for sure.

I honestly do agree with some of this... Defence I have no problem with, although one disadvantage maybe the pace. Still, we have a lot of cover around this area in De Laet, Peltier, Morgan, St Ledger, Whitbread, Kennedy, Konchesky, Moore and even James and Taft. I'd rather us have the likes of Morgan instead of Bamba. Old fashion Pearson-type defenders, I like it.

The midfield is a slight problem for me. I don't think we're strong enough, even with the addition of Matt James. Last season, and the season before if you like, we were knocked off of the ball to easy and other teams could easily glide their way through our midfield. King isn't strong enough, and I don't rate him. Drinkwater and maybe James offer that bit of 'grit' but I still doubt it is that strong/powerful. Wellens is creative and has been good since signing, but his legs are going, and in addition to his injury, he is at the end of his career. He can still hold the ball the best though, in my opinion. Danns offers energy up and down the field, I just think we need a Lennon-type midfielder with him, even though we have many midfielders. In my opinion, we could easily ship out the likes of Gallagher and King to create finances for a player like Jay Spearing.

On the wing, I have confidence in Marshall. I dont rate Gallagher, and Dyer is too inconsistant for me although his pace can be an essential addition for the team from the bench late on in matches. I'm excited to see the new lad out wide, and I hear good things about him, so I'd like to see him start wide-left because I do believe Pearson will start a flat 4-4-2 regardless of the formation yesterday/in previous friendlies.

I'm pleased Futacs signed because we always needed that target man to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game. Last season, we couldn't hold the ball up, and Nugent/Beckford/Schlupp/Waghorn are not target men strikers that will hold up the ball and wait for support. I have confidence in Nugent, he should be starting, no doubt. Waghorn and Schlupp are still learning, and I still believe Beckford has the ability to score at least 15 goals next season. Haven't seen Vardy yet, but heard good things about him.

I have faith in Pearson. His more direct style isn't to my liking that much, but considering we tried football under Sven and Sousa, and failed both times I am abit cautious. Like the last time he was here, I believe Nigel will build us a good, solid defence. The creative midfield area is a big ask in my opinion.

If you play around with formations with the players we have so far, then 4-4-2 looks by far the weakest to me due to only two central midfielders.

Even though Pearson has played 4-4-2 in every friendly, I really hope he plays a different formation in the league. I'm sure players who looked lightweight in a midfield two will look much better with an extra player or players.

Even attacking midfielders should help out with defending.

I'm interested to know what he counts as a major signing? And the Major signings he's comparing them to from last year?

I think we've made good solid signings that will improve the team and help us be consistent which is what we need

Archived