Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
undey

*Move some players on!*

Probably going to get abuse for this but here goes! Ok so I am here thinking of a potential starting 11 against Peterborough and coming up with a decent squad which I believe is very capable! Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan, Whitbread, Konchesky, Knockaert, Drinkwater, Danns, Marshall, Nugent, Vardy. Then I come to think of who I have left out and think of Futacs, James, King, Beckford Dyer. All players who I think would get into a championship squad. So here are my points, 1. Some of the left out players are new signings who I can't imagine will be pleased to join a new club and sit straight to the bench! 2. I can see this leading to more fallouts like last season and bringing a hostile squad environment which obviously isn't going to help! My conclusion, move on players such as King (yes the player we were worried about losing to a premier league club this time last year for a couple of million! Wasn't that million dollar man this season was he?) Gallagher aswell, yes he scores a Marshall goal every now and again but no consistency. I believe we are entering a new era and want to let these once good servants to our wonderful club move on and let us fulfill our goal of reaching the top flight of English football! But hey ho in Nigel and 'Shakey' we trust!

To be fair, all the new signings will know about the competition for places. Also, I think they will know that they may sit on the bench. I can't see it leading too many fallouts really, I mean, surely all the players know we have a squad. We can't play them all. If they want to play, they'll have to work hard to impress, which I can't personally see anything wrong with.

Probably going to get abuse for this but here goes! Ok so I am here thinking of a potential starting 11 against Peterborough and coming up with a decent squad which I believe is very capable! Schmeichel, De Laet, Morgan, Whitbread, Konchesky, Knockaert, Drinkwater, Danns, Marshall, Nugent, Vardy. Then I come to think of who I have left out and think of Futacs, James, King, Beckford Dyer. All players who I think would get into a championship squad. So here are my points, 1. Some of the left out players are new signings who I can't imagine will be pleased to join a new club and sit straight to the bench! 2. I can see this leading to more fallouts like last season and bringing a hostile squad environment which obviously isn't going to help! My conclusion, move on players such as King (yes the player we were worried about losing to a premier league club this time last year for a couple of million! Wasn't that million dollar man this season was he?) Gallagher aswell, yes he scores a Marshall goal every now and again but no consistency. I believe we are entering a new era and want to let these once good servants to our wonderful club move on and let us fulfill our goal of reaching the top flight of English football! But hey ho in Nigel and 'Shakey' we trust!

You seem to presume that we will use the same eleven every week. So King "our once good servant" should be repaid for that service by moving him on after one poor season in which we had a number of under performers?

Sorry 'stevelcfc' don't think I mentioned Beckford to go I personally like him! And the other guy about same 11 don't you want to see consistency and a strong squad we are all familiar with! Southampton played pretty much the same 11 each week providing fitness? Yes we aren't Southampton but they got promoted and we didn't..

Why do we need to move anyone on? We've got a really good looking squad now with quality throughout - the players know they aren't going to be getting games every week and no player is guarenteed a starting berth, except perhaps Schmeichel and Morgan.

I think the squad is just about right now, there's enough cover to see us through even the most serious injury crisis and the players we've added all seem to add quality to the overall squad. Say if we sell Gallagher and then Marshall breaks his leg and is out for half a season? What would we do then? Say we have a couple of injuries and suspensions in midfield and we've sold King, what will we do then?

You say you want to move them on to 'let us fulfill our goal' of getting promoted to the PL - my question would be, how exactly are they stopping us?

I agree Happy Fox but if players don't lose form which is too good to be true and we are lucky with injuries for once what then? I think in some areas we need to keep them such as defence if you look at the current situation..

And the other guy about same 11 don't you want to see consistency and a strong squad we are all familiar with! Southampton played pretty much the same 11 each week providing fitness? Yes we aren't Southampton but they got promoted and we didn't..

So if Nugent plays 15 games and doesn't score we should stick with him regardless? If Danns misplaces every single pass and gives away posession every time he's on the ball, we should stick with him for consistency? Have a word with yourself.

And you'd rather see king of last season ahead of Danns, Drinkwater and Marshall?

Well for one, Marshall is a winger, so no - I wouldn't want to see King getting in the team ahead of him. I'd rather have the King of the three seasons before last season in the side over those two any day of the week. One bad season doesn't make you a bad player, form is temporary, class is permanent.

IndieRich I suppose but what if the players who you say can fill in don't end up filling in?

What does that even mean? Gallagher and King have proven time and again that they are quality players at this level, despite what anyone says about them. Their goal and assist records prove that. They've both certainly got their faults, but if they were perfect they'd be playing at a higher level than this for sure.

So I suppose you'd rather sell them and throw some untried, untested youth team player in? And that's going to win us the league is it?

A strong SQUAD is absolutely key in this league - something we've not really had for a while now.

Sorry 'stevelcfc' don't think I mentioned Beckford to go I personally like him! And the other guy about same 11 don't you want to see consistency and a strong squad we are all familiar with! Southampton played pretty much the same 11 each week providing fitness? Yes we aren't Southampton but they got promoted and we didn't..

And you'd rather see king of last season ahead of Danns, Drinkwater and Marshall?

Rather keep King than Beckford, although I don't want to see him leave either. Marshall doesn't play the same position and what if Drinkwater and Danns suffer lengthy injury?

IndieRich I suppose but what if the players who you say can fill in don't end up filling in?

That would be the appropriate time to think about selling.

Well a fit andy king that got double figures from midfield YES maybe I would, I've seen nothing from drinkwater yet to suggest he is a better player and everton weren't interested for nothing, I personally have said all along he would suit everton, playing in the old tim cahill role.

Are you saying that if they could fill in, there is no need to move anyone on? If so then your original point should maybe have been, do we need to replace/upgrade some of our back up players, rather than just move some on?

For the umpteeth time, you can not sell players like cattle. You can't just say, 'Player X, you are off'. Players don't necessarily want to move whether it be family, money or just being happy at a club. Also a player will very rarely request to leave as he loses his loyalty bonus.

A manager has to be careful who he sells too. Gallagher is clearly a massive part of team morale, so you sell him you disrupt team spirit. Cazorla is apparently only picked for the Spain for that reason (he rarely gets more than 90 mins in a team full of midfield talent). Dyer is a honest, hard worker despite his limitations...you sell him it sets a standard that hard-workers get nowhere.

Similarly the same thing works with Mills, upsets manager...manager gets rid asserting his ruthless streak to rest of squad. Length of contracts plays a part too and was a clear reason for Peltier's depature; twelve months on his contract with interest from elsewhere.

It is not simple to sell and buy players.

For the umpteeth time, you can not sell players like cattle. You can't just say, 'Player X, you are off'. Players don't necessarily want to move whether it be family, money or just being happy at a club. Also a player will very rarely request to leave as he loses his loyalty bonus.

A manager has to be careful who he sells too. Gallagher is clearly a massive part of team morale, so you sell him you disrupt team spirit. Cazorla is apparently only picked for the Spain for that reason (he rarely gets more than 90 mins in a team full of midfield talent). Dyer is a honest, hard worker despite his limitations...you sell him it sets a standard that hard-workers get nowhere.

Similarly the same thing works with Mills, upsets manager...manager gets rid asserting his ruthless streak to rest of squad. Length of contracts plays a part too and was a clear reason for Peltier's depature; twelve months on his contract with interest from elsewhere.

It is on Football Manager :ph34r:

Agree

This - I'd be pretty happy to keep the squad as is until Christmas and then try to trim then. That said, I can see Wellens and a striker going once it all shakes out after 15 or so games

WE

NEED

A

SQUAD

Everyone who starts the season with us will have a role to play, whether it's first choice, bench, backup or whatever. The last thing we want is a bare bones squad, or one where players think they are guaranteed a place in the starting 11. That kind of complacency breeds arrogance and failure. We may have a couple of youngsters who go out on loan, but apart from that we have a well balanced squad across most positions now, and in the next 10 months we'll likely need all of them. Players like Gally and King got a lot of stick last season, but nobody can deny that even if they are no longer starting 11 material, they have the ability to change a game off the bench. To start trying to get rid of them or anyone else is naive to say the least.

Archived