Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxblogger

Leicester City's best Number 9's

Forget the Vardy, Nugent, Beckford debate for a moment, let's look at the bigger picture. Who are Leicester City's best ever number nine's?

Prostate Cancer UK and the Football League have joined this season in a charity partnership - to mark it they asked bloggers around the county to name their club's top five number 9's of all time (and the worst). The only rule, the player must have featured in the number 9 shirt for the club.

It's part of a campaign to raise awareness of the fact that prostate cancer will affect one in nine men.

Here's the article - looking forward to seeing if you lot agree.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/do-an-event/football-league/best-no9s/clubs/l/leicester-city

Claridge

Heskey

Joachim

Struggling after that,

Did Dickov wear number 9? It's hard enough trying to remember all the strikers we have had, let alone what number they were.

Did Walsh ever wear the 9 when he was converted into a striker, pre squad numbers?

Ferdinand and Roberts are other possibilities.

Did Dickov wear number 9? It's hard enough trying to remember all the strikers we have had, let alone what number they were.

No.. Dickov was 22 and then when he returned 27. Deane had 27 also.

Claridge

Heskey

Joachim

Struggling after that,

Did Walsh ever wear the 9 when he was converted into a striker, pre squad numbers?

Ferdinand and Roberts are other possibilities.

Yep, against Derby in the play-off final

Yep, against Derby in the play-off final

I thought so but age and alcohol cloud these memories...

So Steve Walsh is the clubs greatest ever number 9,

followed by Claridge, Heskey, Joachim and Roberts.

Ferdinand can fvck off, one season at half effort trying to prolong his career another year, wouldn't have been so bad if that extra year had been for us and not Bolton, he should have given it his all in every game and we may have stayed up.

Difficult remembering who had the no.9 shirt but I used to enjoy watching Mike Newell. Just a shame he wasn't playing in a better Leicester team

Thought Newell was brilliant & was gutted when he went to Everton. It's got to be Ferdinand for me though

Ken Leek

Ken Keyworth

Jimmy Walsh

Derek Dougan

Frank Large

Andy Lochhead

Ally Brown

Rodney Fern

Alan Birchenall*

Frank Worthington

Chris Garland*

Bobby Smith*

Alan Young

Gary Lineker

Alan Smith

Mike Newell

David Oldfield*

Tommy Wright*

David Speedie

Mark Draper

Mark Robins

David Lowe

Scott Taylor*

Ian Marshall

Steve Claridge

Tony Cottee

Robbie Savage

*(I'm sure they wore 9 for a few games)

Early ones from memory, later ones looked at a few old programmes the rest are all down to squad numbers I think

Ken Leek

Ken Keyworth

Derek Dougan

Frank Large

Andy Lochhead

Ally Brown

Rodney Fern

Alan Birchenall*

Frank Worthington

Chris Garland*

Bobby Smith*

Alan Young

Gary Lineker

Alan Smith

Mike Newell

David Oldfield*

Tommy Wright*

David Speedie

Mark Draper

Mark Robins

David Lowe

Scott Taylor*

Ian Marshall

Steve Claridge

Tony Cottee

Robbie Savage

*(I'm sure they wore 9 for a few games)

Early ones from memory, later ones looked at a few old programmes the rest are all down to squad numbers I think

That's sorted then... The winner is 'Tommy Wright'.

:thumbup:

That's sorted then... The winner is 'Tommy Wright'.

:thumbup:

I did think of Tommy Wright, but I only ever remember him wearing the 10, of course that doesn't mean he didn't wear the number 9, thank god the premiership came around and we all have designated squad numbers to avoid such confusion.

Archived