Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ian the fox

Away formation ,wtf ?

Before a ball was kicked last night I considered 2 wingers risky & a luxury away from home

I like Pearson & believe him to be a good manager & the best possible man for the job this season ....

However !!!! surely we must field a mored defensive midfield formation away from home , with the onus being on

keeping a clean sheet first & foremost

Had Danns played with the exception of Dyer last night at Charlton we would have won for certain Im sure

Anyone agree ?

we have to start "parking the bus away ".....its got to be a clean sheet first & foremost away

The formation is largely irrelevant, how the players operate within that system is key.

Have any of the posters in this thread seen Blackburn play this season or even know what formation they will play? I often find it is useful to know what your opponent will do prior to deciding which formation we should adopt to combat them.

Doesn't play wingers = Criticised for being negative

Plays wingers = Criticised for being too attacking

Agreed.

Dyer on = Can't cross or shoot

Dyer not playing = We don't have any pace on the wings

Can't win around here.

I would prefer the team to win. Playing more attack minded players will give us a better chance of doing that.

No issues with the team selection or subs last night.

This.

It is not a luxury to try and score goals, that is a necessity in football.

I don't undertand this point of you need to be more negative or pack the midfield away from home. The rules aren't different depending on which ground you play at. We need to mae it so we're good enough to beat every team with the quality of our attack and solid defending. If we are confident in this we can do that at home and away. The onus isn't on us to keep clean sheets at away games, we just need to score more than them. We need to be positive as well as organised.

Nigel was right not to change a winning team, however I think he's still learning about his players and what his best team is, and he'd be right to make a couple of changes for Blackburn. However, I think personnel is more crucial than formation at this stage.

Every team has wingers near enough, why can't you just say if we started Knockaert instead of Dyer?

Because Knockaert made far more of an impact than Dyer.

It's the centre of midfield that's our problem, they ain't good enough.

Our next three games are Blackburn, Blackpool and Wolves.

Those matches will really show what our midfield is capable of, because I can honestly see those three teams dominating us.

Keeping a clean sheet only guarantees you 1 point, scoring goals gives you a chance of winning.

1 win + 1 defeat = 3 pts is better than 2 draws.

Yes we lost but by all accounts people enjoyed the game, I've been to too many away games where we've adopted a park the bus policy and still lost and got absolutely no enjoyment form the game and leaving me feeling thoroughly down and swearing never to go to an away game again.

Keeping a clean sheet only guarantees you 1 point, scoring goals gives you a chance of winning.

1 win + 1 defeat = 3 pts is better than 2 draws.

Yes we lost but by all accounts people enjoyed the game, I've been to too many away games where we've adopted a park the bus policy and still lost and got absolutely no enjoyment form the game and leaving me feeling thoroughly down and swearing never to go to an away game again.

But thats being inconsistant............ :thumbup:

I'd rather we went out all attack at away games rather than be boring and defensive like last season. We will certainly win more away games this season than last if we play how we did last night. We have to possess a winners attitude to get out of this league.

Anyone remember the distinct lack of width we adopted under Sven? All this diamond nonsense didn't really work for us.

We have more width now than we have done in a couple of years and more players at our disposal that can fulfil this approach. I personally think we work better when we employ and promote wide men - so let's keep it that way; home and away.

Yesterday's two goals had nothing to do with shape or formation, they were simple errors of losing possession and failing to clear a long throw-in.

A defensive formation can absorb such errors & mistakes ...... , that the point ............ :pearson:

A defensive formation can absorb such errors & mistakes ...... , that the point ............ :pearson:

Er, no it can't. It would appear to make you more stable at the back but you are still likely to concede goals as you give the home side the initiative.

And it's hard to go to an attacking style from a defensive one in a short space of time.

We've got far too many attacking options to be trying to keep it tight. Our best chance is to just attack. If we play like we did yesterday, we'll win more than we lose. If we go defensive, we'll lose less but draw more.

ATTACK

ATTACK

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!!!!

Er, no it can't. It would appear to make you more stable at the back but you are still likely to concede goals as you give the home side the initiative.

And it's hard to go to an attacking style from a defensive one in a short space of time.

We left the defence exposed again , a problem we couldnt solve last season ,

Wes Morgan shouldnt be put in a one on one situtation by a hopeful hoof out of defence

The back four need protection ,especially away from home

Thats a basic defensive tactic that doesnt mean were playing for a 0-0 for 90 minutes

Archived