Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
southwest fox

another defeat

The performance of the squad is really coming into shape, hope we carry on this way and I think over the course of the season, we'll iron out the creases and fine tune everything - wins should be aplenty. Some points would have been nice today but another all-round good performance. Except Konchesky - don't think i've ever seen him look lost before!

Vardy - definitely showing his worth. Get some smart passes when he's making a run and he will slot it almost every time.

Well reading had an awful start last season so I hope it turns around... However I don't care how well we played... It's irrelevant if we played like Barcelona or Bognor regis... We got 0 points!!!!

So everyone who is happy with the last two performances where we 'didn't deserve to lose' is ok with the fact we got 0 points because we played well?????

Wake up and smell the coffee!! Its about points!

It's exactly the same argument fans use when they say you are " too good to go down". Rubbish. You are as good as the points you get.

Blackburn scored 2, we scored 1. We lost. We were not good enough to win. Simple.

Except for the fact that we clearly were.

I can't see why you don't think performances matter. What doesn't matter is where we are in the table right now. It only matters after the next 43 league matches, and If we carry on playing like we did today, we will be up near the top of the table in May.

People need to realise that although we were dreadful last season, we weren't a million miles away from the playoffs.

This season our team play is a million miles better than it was last season, so chill out, relax, chillax, whatever, we have too good a team not to be in the top 6 by May. Emphasis on "team" not individual players.

We will be fine. We narrowly lost out to 2 tough teams away from home, lets not all go crazy just yet.

I have all confidence that we can and will beat Blackpool. Lets just hope Tom Ince goes to Swansea before next week to make it that bit easier.

Up the city! :scarf:

Blackpool and Wolves two tough games to come up, the pessimist in me says we will get 2 points tops the optimist 3 points come on City lets start getting some results or this season will turn out like last if we aren't too careful.

I wasn't a big fan of NP last season- I found his style of football as drab as him (or what I see / hear from him.

However the Portsmouth game turned me around - I thought we were played some great football and some stylish attacking play. I'm on hols so haven't seen the last two games but everyone I know that's gone to the games has been positive about our play. I've read lots of opinions including opposition fans and it seems we are playing well.

Fantastic - as I've always said - I'd rather watch entertaining football than win-at-all-cost football.... So I'm right behind NP.

I have two concerns though - he's naive - it was obvious to plenty of people on here that we were going into a new season light on CBs. What's been our problem? Conceding soft goals.

He"s just not a lucky manager. Bugger all you can do about that big nige!!!

I genuinely hope he can get results quickly now and doesn't lose faith with the new style of football - you've won me over NP - don't go and get sacked now!!!!

I wasn't a big fan of NP last season- I found his style of football as drab as him (or what I see / hear from him.

However the Portsmouth game turned me around - I thought we were played some great football and some stylish attacking play. I'm on hols so haven't seen the last two games but everyone I know that's gone to the games has been positive about our play. I've read lots of opinions including opposition fans and it seems we are playing well.

Fantastic - as I've always said - I'd rather watch entertaining football than win-at-all-cost football.... So I'm right behind NP.

I have two concerns though - he's naive - it was obvious to plenty of people on here that we were going into a new season light on CBs. What's been our problem? Conceding soft goals.

He"s just not a lucky manager. Bugger all you can do about that big nige!!!

I genuinely hope he can get results quickly now and doesn't lose faith with the new style of football - you've won me over NP - don't go and get sacked now!!!!

Wow, that was a long time ago and we were pretty terrible in both games against them :P

Again I keep asking the question but nobody answers. Tell me what games we bossed and lost last year?

Our problem last year was that we lost and didn't boss games. The only similarities to last year are the number of points on the board.

Gonna have to disagree a bit there, there were numerous away games which we should have got more out of, but let ourselves down with sloppiness at both ends. But I agree in the main we just didn't play well at all.

Such as Forest (twice) Cardiff, Watford, Blackpool, Peterborough.

The season before it was also a common theme, (we'll ignore Sousa's reign because it was him) Watford again, Bristol City (how we keep conceding 3 to those 2 is anyone's guess) Preston, QPR and Middlebrough.

I'm not suggesting we played as well as we have done so far in any of those games but I certainly recall us saying the same things we are now after those games - we were the better team, we were robbed, missing chances cost us, conceding sloppy goals cost us but we deserved at least a point probably 3....

I'm not trying to get on Pearson's back, I'm just pointing out it is a similar story to the last 2 seasons, though it's not a huge issue this early in the season, we need to iron these problems out soon.

Ive never been totally convinced by NP (mainly drab tatics/personality), however i was at the game yesterday, and when we equalised (thoroughly deserved) the NP of old may have been tempted to "shut-up shop" and play out for a point (which im sure most would have excepted pre game), but we were so on top and playing some good attacking football we went all out for the win. I was horrified by the result yesterday yet encouraged by the team performance and tactical ethic, providing our luck changes quickly i feel were on the right track

Watched the game on WIZIWIG. Their goalie made 3 outstanding saves, we had one cleared off the line and one disallowed. I can only remember them having 2 decent shots at goal and they both went in! We bossed the game and they looked poor for most of it. What the heck is going on??

long term we're on the right track.

i just pray we don't lose next week. i fear our fickle fans and eager owners could make some disastrous and irrational calls which would be completely counter-productive.

That's a realistic concern...and the last thing we need right now.

This is not just a pretty team of attacking bottlers we've got, it's a side that works, competes and keeps pressing. It's the best basis of a real team that I've seen here since the MON days and that had its hiccups in the beginning.

Instead of carping our fans need to help the team come through. Strikers don't need telling they've just missed a sitter, they need to hear their name being chanted and the encouragement to have another go.

Hell it's not long ago that we only dreamed of a strike force like Vardy, Nugent and Beckford so let's get behind them and let's hope our managment find the way to get the best out of them and the back-up players who also offer s muich potential.

Cos I feel I owe em already. At long last I'm enjoying watching our football again. There's a bit of a buzz when we get the ball and start surging forward and, often, the thrill of goalmouth drama at the end of it.

We've made a long habit of returnign with disappointing results and performances. Now at least the latter is offering a glimmer of hope and with a little patience and encouraement I'm sure the results will finally follow and remember this time as the real turning point in our footballing fortunes..

We are playing fantastic football and long may it continue the bottle is finally sinking with NP i hope don't return to cautious predictable sideways passing football with no penetration because that goes nowhere, this is the type of football to get promoted you need to play this way because you stand a good chance of staying up in the prem if we make it, as Thracian alludes to stick with the philosophy and the results will follow I will be bemused if it doesn't happen to be honest.

We are playing fantastic football and long may it continue the bottle is finally sinking with NP i hope don't return to cautious predictable sideways passing football with no penetration because that goes nowhere, this is the type of football to get promoted you need to play this way because you stand a good chance of staying up in the prem if we make it, as Thracian alludes to stick with the philosophy and the results will follow I will be bemused if it doesn't happen to be honest.

When has NP ever played sideways football with no penetration?

The last time he was here we made the play offs and very very nearly got to the final.

What are you talking about? Seriously?

That play off side was based upon a very solid defence, with Brown and Hobbs complimenting each other very well in most part.

It was based upon control, organisation and hitting the opposition often on the counter attack when away from home.

The 'bottle is finally sinking' (is that a phrase?) with NP?

I simply don't know where you're coming from?

When has NP ever played sideways football with no penetration?

The last time he was here we made the play offs and very very nearly got to the final.

What are you talking about? Seriously?

That play off side was based upon a very solid defence, with Brown and Hobbs complimenting each other very well in most part.

It was based upon control, organisation and hitting the opposition often on the counter attack when away from home.

The 'bottle is finally sinking' (is that a phrase?) with NP?

I simply don't know where you're coming from?

But we didn't get to the final let alone win it and we were a distance off the top two places we should have been aiming at. And what about Blackpool. Holloway tried cautious fotball when he was here and the one thing it seemed to teach him was "nver again".

He's sue intent on scoring now and after almost performing the footballing of a minor miracle in keeping Blackpool in the Premiership he's intent on attacking his way back again with considerable impact.

We played some goddam awful football using Hobbs and Brown and we've had season upon season of similar dross. Why on Earth would we wish to head back in that direction. We have three games of a new beginning, playing an attacking style of football that excites the fans and promises the potential for success and you seem to argue for out.

Hell three games against over 10 years of failure. For heaven sake let's give the system a chance, make such adjustments and fine-tuning as might improve us still further and let's stay and join the party.

It's not as if we couldn't or even shouldn't have maximum points now alongside Blackpool. Holloway had his disappointments but, my life, he's not quit on his attacking approach and that's because it's the only way his club will ever be more than mundane.

Seems to me we've made a start but the defence haven't quite joined the cause, particularly as a group. Getting Schlupp in for Konch might help. A fast, skillful, attacking full-back because I didn't think Konch helped Dyer one bit against Blackburn andhe certainly didn't help our goals against column.

He needs to drive forward the same as attackers track back and if he's no longer got the energy or conviction then let him hand over to someone who has. And let the rest of the defence join in too and close down the space through which the opposition can launch their counter attacks.

We may be attacking but we've a way to go before we're doing it as a unit. Gary Neville knew what attacking meant. He was as often found in the front third as the back. Bale's the same and Evra too. You've gotta have nerve and belief. Attacking is not a tactic so much as a philosophy...and the only philosophy that gives a club any chance of being relevent.

And that philosophy has to be built into everyone. Brown and Hobbs offered next to nothing going forward, with Brown being an attacking liability much of the time.

Slate Hobbs and Brown all you like, we've not had such an assured centre back pairing since they left the club. Neither particularly good footballers but both defensively sound and, most importantly, knew each others game.

Or would you rather have Heskey?

:thumbup:

Slate Hobbs and Brown all you like, we've not had such an assured centre back pairing since they left the club. Neither particularly good footballers but both defensively sound and, most importantly, knew each others game.

Or would you rather have Heskey?

:thumbup:

Their limitations got highlighted at Forest, unfortunately. They were no more than decent IMO, but nothing special. I'm hoping Morgan and Whitbread turn out to be a better pairing.

Archived