Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Blackburn Post Match Thread 2-1

A lot more to it than that

I agree, if my company was stupid enough to tie me in to a long contract, when I offered very little to them, and was willing to pay me massive money (relative to genuine hard working people), for doing almost nothing, I would take it. pride? that's for plebeians.

one of the few games i get on tv out here, thought we played very well, so pretty disappointed with the result obviously. Blackburn were shite for long periods, our passing was a bit wayward at times, but on the whole a good performance, and i have no idea how the linesman got that one so badly wrong. felt both konch and RDL looked a bit shakey at times, but everyone seemed to struggle a little with the surface. anyway, keep playing like that and we should be there or there abouts. Dont normally do it, but had a gander at the rovers forum to see what they thought, although im not sure which game some of the rovers fans were watching.. just saw this?!

http://www.roverstal...=4557&start=150

robinson - 8/10 - brilliant saves, just brilliant today kept us in that, without him a loss would be recorded today

lowe - 7/10 decent game for him few nice runs good defensivley, but seriously needs to be playe in CM

givet - 9/10 brilliant from the lil french man. won almost evry header and was a force throughout.

dann - 8/10 - very good game today, apart from that mistake he did very very well, a few important blocks too.

ollson - 8/10 very good from him today, very good pacey runs caused problems, needs to work on final balls though

bruno -10/10 apart from bad first touch, he was quality, fast becoming a cult hero haha was brilliant today realy was

murphy - 9/10 brilliant passing, although at times backwards but still kept possesion very well.

ethuhu - 7/10 works very hard but lost the ball with sloppy passes a lil to often, but a decent game from him

pedersen 7/10 although he scored yes a good goal, his crosses and overall production was a little off.

gomez 8/10 linked up well with all the play that came his way, needs better service and more help uptop, good goal.

edinho - 6/10 brushed off the ball with ease, looked like a lost puppy out there, awfull passing too.

really? 8/9/10, I wouldnt have rated any of them apart from robinson above a 6! loAf

Even i'm amazed at this post.....This is what we really think.

http://www.brfcs.co....3/page__st__260

Hmmmm. Well whilst it wasn't luck that missed our chances or made the oppo finish theirs. I think there is an argument there that we have been unlucky in the sense that those chances we had (Nugent & Vardy headers specifically) would more often than not be scored. And that the oppos goals were the sort that more often than not drift wide or get saved.

Perhaps luck isn't the right word, but for us in both games to miss chances strikers normally wouldn't, and to have been very harshly punished by the goals against from what were really minor blimps and not particularly obviously goalscoring opportunities is harsh. Perhaps I will go with statistically unfortunate. ;)

People having a wobbly at people saying we were unlucky in this game just seems a bit lame really. We were unlucky because we had a good goal chalked off and a decent case for their first to be ruled out for offside. Whether the decisions even themselves up over a season or not doesn't matter. We aren't talking about a game in three weeks time when we might get a dodgy penno, we are talking about the last game. And in that game we were unlucky with the decisions. And statistically unfortunate lol with the missed chances and goals conceded

I think it was about quality.

Nuno Gomes goal was a quality finish. He's been a quality player now for decades.

Gamst Pedersen's goal was a quality finish. Again, he's played for years in the Premiership.

And Robinson's save against Nuge was a quality save. Again, he's been an International keeper and, despite some blunders, is a top keeper at this level. Same as Rob Green was last season for West Ham.

Some of us were suggesting, pre-season, that what could really make the difference to this young, eager and energetic Leicester team is one or two players of real quality, at this level to win a game 'out of nothing' if you like. I still maintain this.

With the exception of Vardy's goal being wrongly chalked-off (and thus out of our control), we didn't lose on Saturday due to 'luck'.. we lost because Blackburn had a couple of players with the quality to pop up with the two goals they did.

It seems that Pearson is sticking with his aim of developing good, young talent with a view to improving them and fulfilling the potential he sees in them. This is commendable and may well reap long-term rewards.

But I still think we could be crying out for a couple of players who are just that bit better, NOW, to bring the others on.

We don't have them, so we will have to see whether Pearson's policy bears fruit.

Some of us were suggesting, pre-season, that what could really make the difference to this young, eager and energetic Leicester team is one or two players of real quality, at this level to win a game 'out of nothing' if you like. I still maintain this.

Yes I believe you mentioned Danny Murphy specifically who our weak midfield bossed most of the game.

Yes I believe you mentioned Danny Murphy specifically who our weak midfield bossed most of the game.

Not Murphy specifically, as you know full well. And many people on here, not only myself, said they would have loved Murphy at the club?

Koren and Spearing were another two I would have been very happy to see wearing a City shirt. But it wasn't to be.

The point still remains.. most of the clubs that get promoted out of this league have two main things going for them. A real team spirit and work-ethic (I think we have that) AND a couple of stand-out players. Last season, for the Saints, it was Lambert and Lallana. For Reading, the signing of Roberts improved them immensely. For West Ham, it was Nolan and Green.

This season for City, I think one of them will be Vardy..the best striker we've signed for many a year IMO. But yes, I would have liked to see another one. Not a player to 'develop', but one who slotted straight into the side and looked completely at home at this level.

This could make the difference.

I doubt it will happen now, so we will have to be happy with the fact that we are looking a much better side and hope it will flourish.

So you think taking a 'no shots at goal' approach might improve our goals tally? Revolutionary.

i think perhaps just better ones would work - what on earth is the use of 7 shots on target if only one beats the keeper - why not have three like Blackburn, and score 2 goals - and the motto of this cautionary tale, for those who can't really understand, is 'take your chances' (I'm looking at you Nugent)

i think perhaps just better ones would work - what on earth is the use of 7 shots on target if only one beats the keeper - why not have three like Blackburn, and score 2 goals - and the motto of this cautionary tale, for those who can't really understand, is 'take your chances' (I'm looking at you Nugent)

Well technically we beat the keeper 3 times, one was disallowed one was cleared off the line and the other was a goal pretty sure king's effort would have beaten the keepertoo but for a toe.

But yeah we get it we lost. The result was disappointing but not unexpected a lot of people thought we would lose pre match. But football is not just about results otherwise we wouldn't go to matches we would just check the result and be done with it. The performance makes me think we will win our next match, that it will be good game and that I'm gutted I can't go. That doesn't change the fact we lost but it does give me optimism for this season and make me think we are on the right track and this team can actual challenge for promotion.

Well technically we beat the keeper 3 times, one was disallowed one was cleared off the line and the other was a goal pretty sure king's effort would have beaten the keepertoo but for a toe.

But yeah we get it we lost. The result was disappointing but not unexpected a lot of people thought we would lose pre match. But football is not just about results otherwise we wouldn't go to matches we would just check the result and be done with it. The performance makes me think we will win our next match, that it will be good game and that I'm gutted I can't go. That doesn't change the fact we lost but it does give me optimism for this season and make me think we are on the right track and this team can actual challenge for promotion.

Very similar to Reading last season they were putting the performances early doors but weren't getting the right results once to two clicked together they went on a run not saying it is likely we will do that but you never know.

I am- positive crowd and no reactionary idiots :)

Who is being reactionary? Another one who sees the name and neglects to read the post following - just because some on here are not 'over' reactionary by claiming that Nige has become the messiah after three games and claiming that Saturday was the best performance City have ever put in and got defeated, despite both right and left back looking like schoolboys for the goals, Dyer looking woeful again, our striker failing to score from point blank range and a late substitution that all but handed Blackburn the game, doesn't mean it is an overreaction to be disappointed in this.

No one is saying sack him now (I don't think) but that doesn't mean he walks on water and cannot be criticised on a message board for some of the errors which, despite everyone's memory lapse from last season, he has now been repeating for around 40 games with us since his return - sure, a couple of the new guys look handy, but with well over £5m spent on them since his return, you would hope and expect that.

Who is being reactionary? Another one who sees the name and neglects to read the post following - just because some on here are not 'over' reactionary by claiming that Nige has become the messiah after three games and claiming that Saturday was the best performance City have ever put in and got defeated, despite both right and left back looking like schoolboys for the goals, Dyer looking woeful again, our striker failing to score from point blank range and a late substitution that all but handed Blackburn the game, doesn't mean it is an overreaction to be disappointed in this.

No one is saying sack him now (I don't think) but that doesn't mean he walks on water and cannot be criticised on a message board for some of the errors which, despite everyone's memory lapse from last season, he has now been repeating for around 40 games with us since his return - sure, a couple of the new guys look handy, but with well over £5m spent on them since his return, you would hope and expect that.

Did I say it was you? We've had a few people on here who want Pearson in/out and change their tune for the next game depending on the result.

He doesn't walk on water, he does make mistakes and I'm not happy about the two defeats. But, I've seen a change in style away from home, a more adventurous philosophy that will hopefully bring some rewards. So he is trying to change things.

We were told not to get carried away after our win last week. Presumably by the same people who get carried away after a defeat. There are positives and negatives from the first week, like with every team (apart from probably Blackpool). I do believe that we will improve, because I've seen signs of it. If I'm wrong them I'll admit it.

The change to a more open, attacking style is there for all to see and has been a constant since half time against Peterboro', the first half being altogether more cautious.

The issue is not whether we have changed our style, that is self evident, what is at issue is why exactly have we played this 'new style' twice and lost twice.

The general concensus is that our play has been much improved and though results have gone against us we have dominated the opposition and been the better side. They also assert that it is only a matter of time before we 'click' and start winning on a regular basis........ :thumbup:

The other school of thought is that although NFP has adopted this 'new style', he has failed to set us up correctly and needs to change our setup, formation, whatever to make our new attacking style more effective.

Personally I am in the second camp and have voiced these opinions virtually from day one and I have been roundly castigated for doing so...... :dunno:

Very much looking forward to how things pan out against Blackpool...... ;)

The change to a more open, attacking style is there for all to see and has been a constant since half time against Peterboro', the first half being altogether more cautious.

The issue is not whether we have changed our style, that is self evident, what is at issue is why exactly have we played this 'new style' twice and lost twice.

The general concensus is that our play has been much improved and though results have gone against us we have dominated the opposition and been the better side. They also assert that it is only a matter of time before we 'click' and start winning on a regular basis........ :thumbup:

The other school of thought is that although NFP has adopted this 'new style', he has failed to set us up correctly and needs to change our setup, formation, whatever to make our new attacking style more effective.

Personally I am in the second camp and have voiced these opinions virtually from day one and I have been roundly castigated for doing so...... :dunno:

Very much looking forward to how things pan out against Blackpool...... ;)

C'mon Dave.. You should know by now that the bulk of FT forum members don't form camps?

:thumbup:

Pearson has returned to city with a more open approach. This explains the problem with the defence. Pearson's previous style was to play narrow and stifle the game. This although not exciting did not leave us open,there was no space for the opposition to play. His new "open" style is much better on the eye but he can not marry a strong defence with with this new venture."

The strikers have let the team down with their poor finishing and decision making in" the last third". The aquisition of Vardy is a massive plus and he brings an enthusiasm to the team which is not shared by others. It would be nice to see "One Round" (Knockaert) play on Tuesday

C'mon Dave.. You should know by now that the bulk of FT forum members don't form camps?

:thumbup:

Maybe I misunderstood, the difference between forming camps and being camp..... :dunno:

I'm just a bit bored with the standard of debate and the constant sniping from some of the more tedious posters.

Any idiot can see that we are too open in defence, the trick is dealing with the issue without completely compromising our new attacking style. Few have even tried to suggest how this might be achieved, most simply believe that it is a matter of 'luck'...... :cry:

Maybe I misunderstood, the difference between forming camps and being camp..... :dunno:

I'm just a bit bored with the standard of debate and the constant sniping from some of the more tedious posters.

Any idiot can see that we are too open in defence, the trick is dealing with the issue without completely compromising our new attacking style. Few have even tried to suggest how this might be achieved, most simply believe that it is a matter of 'luck'...... :cry:

The defensive issue will be dealt when Whitbread comes into the fray I can guarantee the defense will be much more solid :thumbup:

The defensive issue will be dealt when Whitbread comes into the fray I can guarantee the defense will be much more solid :thumbup:

Excellent...... :thumbup:

I am so reassured, does that mean if we lose when Whitbread is playing I can claim my matchday expenses from you, most days about £100 should cover it.

I love an airtight guarantee....... :)

Well I postulated my defensive midfielder hypothesis and was pretty much shot down in flames. With the exception of KingFox to be fair.

Like you, I'm pleased we are better going forward but that shouldn't detract from the defensive side of the game.

The three other suggestions are:

1. We are fine... The goals scored against us were wonder goals which won't happen again.

2. SSL/Whitbread will sort our dodgy back four ( I think they will improve matters actually).

3. Thracian... The defence need to move up a bit to reduce the gap between the two banks of four. Good shout IMO.

That's pretty much about it as far as I could read.

It almost seems like Pearson, in the eyes of many has become the new Keegan (minus the mullet). ie. if we score more than the opposition...

However, yes.. It is early days.

Well I postulated my defensive midfielder hypothesis and was pretty much shot down in flames. With the exception of KingFox to be fair.

Like you, I'm pleased we are better going forward but that shouldn't detract from the defensive side of the game.

The three other suggestions are:

1. We are fine... The goals scored against us were wonder goals which won't happen again.

2. SSL/Whitbread will sort our dodgy back four ( I think they will improve matters actually).

3. Thracian... The defence need to move up a bit to reduce the gap between the two banks of four. Good shout IMO.

That's pretty much about it as far as I could read.

It almost seems like Pearson, in the eyes of many has become the new Keegan (minus the mullet). ie. if we score more than the opposition...

However, yes.. It is early days.

I did say few Col..... :thumbup: A 'proper' defensive midfielder may well work but we would have to go out and buy one (or two if you want cover) thus leaving half our current midfield largely redundant.

No, to my mind a slight change in setup is the answer, closing up that gap between the back 4 and midfield is the starting point, getting our most influential players more involved is next on the list and most of the rest will flow from there.

Not rocket science, in fact it's not even bloody quantum mechanics, it's actually pretty simple...... :rolleyes:

I did say few Col..... :thumbup: A 'proper' defensive midfielder may well work but we would have to go out and buy one (or two if you want cover) thus leaving half our current midfield largely redundant.

No, to my mind a slight change in setup is the answer, closing up that gap between the back 4 and midfield is the starting point, getting our most influential players more involved is next on the list and most of the rest will flow from there.

Not rocket science, in fact it's not even bloody quantum mechanics, it's actually pretty simple...... :rolleyes:

That gap wasn't there all game, it's not like there always a huge gap and our midfielders don't know how to play football but 3 of the 4 goals we have conceded have come from us attacking for a long period and looking for a goal committing men to the attack. We got caught out through naivety we have generally had 2 young lads in the middle but they will learn from their mistakes and grow into it. In the next game they will hopefully keep a bit more discipline, or the forwards will take their chances so we don't put ourselves under pressure to score and we go too far forwards too early in the game. It is not rocket science but is also not something they are not doing for the majority of games. 3 lapses cost us 3 goals it is not like they were getting in behind the midfield and exploiting the gap all game.

That gap wasn't there all game, it's not like there always a huge gap and our midfielders don't know how to play football but 3 of the 4 goals we have conceded have come from us attacking for a long period and looking for a goal committing men to the attack. We got caught out through naivety we have generally had 2 young lads in the middle but they will learn from their mistakes and grow into it. In the next game they will hopefully keep a bit more discipline, or the forwards will take their chances so we don't put ourselves under pressure to score and we go too far forwards too early in the game. It is not rocket science but is also not something they are not doing for the majority of games. 3 lapses cost us 3 goals it is not like they were getting in behind the midfield and exploiting the gap all game.

Didn't expect to count you among the happy clappers, captain........ :dunno:

Didn't expect to count you among the happy clappers, captain........ :dunno:

Nor I you, :P

Your view is not wrong it just wasn't a problem all game long, but due to the complete lack of any attacking threat posed by Charlton and Blackburn we got complacent and caught out, if BWP or gomes had missed instead of rifling it into the bottom corner it probably would have been a wake up call and reminded the midfield of their defensive responsibilities.

In the last 2 games I've seen so much good football that I am genuinely optimistic we are creating a good team and we don't need wholesale changes just a bit more discipline and experience and we will compete with the best of this of league.

Archived