Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Blackburn Post Match Thread 2-1

Got back a couple of hours and I'm still so pissed off. We deserved the 3 points today, absolutely robbed by more cheating and inept officials... who watches and grades these clowns? Somethings never change. Top performance from the lads though. Vardy was EXCELLENT, glad he got his first goal and should have had a second. Knocky was superb once again. Konch wasn't great at all. Schmeichel had **** all to do apart from pick the ball out of his net. Think we will look a more solid outfit when St.Ledger is back.

The club having never won the F.A Cup is disappointing, mainly because (and I don't mean to be all doom and gloom) unless there are some financial fair play rules to bring clubs onto a level playing field, we'll never win it. Just like we'll never win the Premier League and we'll never qualify for the Champions League. We might get promoted to the Premier League in the next few years, we might not.

I used to get so angry when watching/listening to City to the extent where I used to shout/scream/roll around on the floor/get the arse all day - It's just not worth it..If we get the right blend in our squad and the personality, vision and ability of the manager aligns with those qualities, we could do it. You just can't guarantee that, and as a result, I'm not going to get pissed off and bay for the manager's blood when I'm seeing effort and quality (albeit with areas to improve on) in the most competitive and unpredictable league in the world. You're right, it's been a shit ten years.

That said, you pay your money, you can bay for blood if you want to, I just don't see how it helps. In fact I see it as a hindrance.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm behind Pearson, I have said tonight that I don't accept we've got 0 points from the last 2 games based solely on luck (though it did play a part), but I wasn't expecting miracles this early on and he can't be judged on the first 3 games. Things sound promising but there's obviously a bit of work to do at both ends if we want to be promotion candidates.

I'm not really expecting promotion from this season (though many tonight have been trying to convince me they are based on our performances in the first 3 games).

As far as I'm concerned Nigel already worked wonders with us once and that's why I have some confidence in him. I'm not baying for blood, I'm very frustrated with the way we keep losing away games (not being outplayed but conceding a lot of sloppy goals and wasting chances) because that has been the story of our last 2 seasons. However things do look better than 12 and 24 months ago.

Horrible weather, put even more of a dampener on a very frustrating result!

I think it was a good performance, nothing spectacular or fantastic but promising in spite of the number of chances that were, again, not taken. You just knew as each chance passed and we didn't take it that they'd bag their first. I think both today and Tuesday, had we scored we would have won comfortably.

Some points:

I've always liked Dyer, I think his effort can rarely be faulted and he's won us a fair amount of games in his time here. But for the last two games he has been very poor. The thing with Dyer is that he can be a massive threat through the simplest of things. All he has to do is get on the ball, front his full back up, knock it and run. There is no-one in this league that can keep up with him so his reluctance to run at his full back has been baffling recently. When Knockaert comes on and looks a class above (we've got a real player on our hands here), it makes who should start a no-brainer against Blackpool.

Nugent and Vardy was a much improved partnership. Committed, a threat, some neat interplay, both good in the air. I know he splits opinion on here but for me we're so so so much better without Beckford. Keep him as an impact sub Nigel.

I know it has been discussed elsewhere but I still think we need a big, horrible, ball-playing central midfielder in the team. We're looking neat going forward and playing some good stuff but there's no-one in the midfield to do the nitty gritty. And Neil Danns is not answer as he showed today. A lot of puff, not a lot else. And I think he played no small part in the build up to the winner. Drinkwater is, at times, very good on the ball when we're in the opposition's half but, similarly, at times, I think he can slow our momentum down by insisting that everything goes through him when we attack. This is a criticism I've had of Wellens in the past, wanting to dictate play too much when allowing the move to develop by someone driving forward with the ball.

Final mention goes to Andy King. Superb again. Denied by a good block and inches from connecting with a through ball towards the end. For the rest of the time, linking things up and covering every yard.

You've actually made me log in on my PC now to explain myself so here goes. I've done it in bullet point for for a) brevity and b) to assist those with short attention spans - there must be a lot of you

• I don't think NP should be sacked I thing it would be the wrong thing to do. My point was he is ultimately going to be judged on results and so far those results have been poor- but also that there is A time to panic. Not now, but the signs are not good.
  • We have always looked like creating chances. Ok, some games under Sven and under NP we looked a bit bereft of ideas. Often though it was missed chances and 'poor' refereeing decisions (LCFC fans' persecution complex - may come back to this but I'll have to put my tin hat on) and very poor defending at times. These issues are recurring. That is a bad, bad, bad sign. We need to give it time - and I know there are injuries at the back, but you can't ship 2 goals a game and go up (at least it would take a hell of an effort in terms of goalscoring)
  • I very much DO understand the positive correlation between level of performance and level of points gained - but I refer my 'friend/accuser' to the irrefutable assertion that there is a far stonger positive correlation (indeed a perfect correlation) between results and points gained and therefore league position. Remember, this is what LCFC / NP / the players etc will be judged on.
  • I don't appreciate the assumptions that I think NP should be sacked. I don't like people putting words in my mouth, especially idiots. I don't think he should be sacked. Please consider my comments a cautionary tale on the 'jam tomorrow' philosophy of 'everything is okay and it will all come right tomorrow/next week/next match/when x is not injured/when we signed 25 goal a season striker'. We have gone down the road of 'we are too good to go down' and 'the performances are good so why worry?' before. That's all I'm saying. Please try to understand that.
  • I'm making plenty of points so if you disagree, why not attack me (if you must?) for one I am making, and not one I'm not making and do not agree with? If I want an idiot to put words in my mouth, I'll PM you.

Ta

Yours,

Blue Mongie

Well, seeing as you don't want idiots like me putting words in your mouth, I thought I'd use some of your own to make exactly the same point. Took me precisely five minutes to find these little gems, though I'm sure there are thousands more:

"he's not the right man for this particular job at this time" (31 March)

"just take the handsome pay off and don't darken our door again" (24 April).

Oh, and in your predictions for the season you forecast "a relegation scrap with Nigel 'no plan b' Pearson in charge" (July 29).

Almost forgot today's "we didn't panic under Holloway and that ended really well" which, even if it isn't repeating the same point of view you've tirelessly expressed for the past six months (and, frankly, it looks just a little like that), is still likening a side in 18th position after 35 games played with a side that's just lost away to a recently relegated team, unbeaten in the league, after three games of the season.

But clearly you'd prefer him to be our manager after all. I suppose, being an idiot, I failed to read between the lines.

Ta,

Yours,

Idiot xx

Mate, you need to move on - justifying a shit start this year because the performances are better than last year but the results are the same is sounding a bit lame now.

Yes we were poor under Sven's start last season but in a whole year we have gone precisely nowhere points wise. It says a lot that some of our fans are now happy if we lose as long as it is an unjust defeat - jeez

First off who is justifying it, I'm highlighting how one thing was ok for one manager, for the other it's compared to relegation under holloway.

Secondly who is happy? I'm not happy we lost. I'm just a damn site happier with what I have seen compared to last years start performance wise.

The points might not be there yet, but I can overlook that for the moment as there has been enough good play to show the future could be much brighter.

Our results have come down to fine margins. Some of the chances we have missed would get put away more often than not, and some of those conceded are the sort that drift wide or get saved more often than not.

We've not been overrun, or struggled to make chances. We've not been the boring functional team you all predicted.

We have stuff to work on, nobody is kidding themselves that improvement is needed. But we are 3 games into the season, overreacting now is utterly pointless.

Ok so we are dominating teams...and losing. What is going to happen when we aren't on top in matches?

The truth is once again like last year when we come up against teams we NEED to be taking points from, we are losing. The harsh reality is that the performance does not matter in the overall scale of things, we are toothless up front, and porous at the back, these are big concerns to have.

Our next game is against Blackpool...a team who are DESTROYING the opposition at the moment, then we have Wolverhampton Wanderers away. Are we going to dominate those teams like we did Blackburn Rovers today? A team who are shit scared of playing at home? A team who didn't have their main man Kazim-Richards on the park?

We played better than a newly promoted Charlton Athletic side who aren't up to speed yet (and still beat us) and a Peterborough United who are relegation candidates for this year. I certainly wouldn't say we are looking anything like automatic promotion chasers right now.

The next two games could be absolutely critical in terms of our season. We lose or fail to win either and the pressure will be massive, the owners will be getting twitchy, the media will be asking "what happened?", and the fans will be beginning to severely lose patience. We need a win and we need it now. I pray we can come good and deliver.

Exactly.

I recall playing well often last season also. Yet we still leaked goals and didn't take chances at the other end.

I read something about Laudrup today something about him having:

Tactical nous

Shrewd transfers

Good man management.

Big Nige seems to be ok with transfers and that's about it.

Even that is not great how many of his buys here at soton or at hull have gone onto bigger things?

Exactly.

I recall playing well often last season also. Yet we still leaked goals and didn't take chances at the other end.

Tactical nous

Shrewd transfers

Good man management.

Even that is not great how many of his buys here at soton or at hull have gone onto bigger things?

We were not beaten by tactical nous, and we were not unmotivated, we gave everything and did more than enough to win.

We were beaten by a few mistakes that got punished helped by poor refereeing decisions and a some great last ditch defending.

You tit.

First off who is justifying it, I'm highlighting how one thing was ok for one manager, for the other it's compared to relegation under holloway.

Secondly who is happy? I'm not happy we lost. I'm just a damn site happier with what I have seen compared to last years start performance wise.

The points might not be there yet, but I can overlook that for the moment as there has been enough good play to show the future could be much brighter.

Our results have come down to fine margins. Some of the chances we have missed would get put away more often than not, and some of those conceded are the sort that drift wide or get saved more often than not.

We've not been overrun, or struggled to make chances. We've not been the boring functional team you all predicted.

We have stuff to work on, nobody is kidding themselves that improvement is needed. But we are 3 games into the season, overreacting now is utterly pointless.

I tend to think we missed out on the play-offs last season not because of 1-2s against confident newly promoted teams or accomplished, recently relegated sides, but rather because of our results against sides like Peterborough. Likewise, a draw at home to Blackpool next week wouldn't necessarily be a catastrophe.

When you look good in defeat away from home against a team packed with quality, have a goal controversially ruled out and concede one which might well have been offside it's senseless to go overboard.

Nonetheless, the one condition that goes with being positive is that we should remember that we weren't entirely blameless ourselves; which you're clearly acknowledging here. Some of the sensationalist reactions on both sides ('I'm not bothered, we look quality' vs 'time to panic' etc.) distract from a more interesting discussion; namely, what should be done to ensure we take our chances, protect the back-line more and avoid goals like the second today. We all seem to have spent the evening reminding people that (a) there's work to be done and (b) the season is far from over.

Exactly.

Tactical nous

Shrewd transfers

Good man management.

I'm one of Pearsons greatest critics, I do believe if we play like today for the rest of the season, we will bear fruit. I often state my belief of Pearsons lack of ability, but I think he's slowly proving me wrong.

Exactly.

Tactical nous

Shrewd transfers

Good man management.

How can you say he doesn't have good man management you dont fooking know him. He got the tactics right today you dont dominate away from home with poor tactics

Well, seeing as you don't want idiots like me putting words in your mouth, I thought I'd use some of your own to make exactly the same point. Took me precisely five minutes to find these little gems, though I'm sure there are thousands more:

"he's not the right man for this particular job at this time" (31 March)

"just take the handsome pay off and don't darken our door again" (24 April).

Oh, and in your predictions for the season you forecast "a relegation scrap with Nigel 'no plan b' Pearson in charge" (July 29).

Almost forgot today's "we didn't panic under Holloway and that ended really well" which, even if it isn't repeating the same point of view you've tirelessly expressed for the past six months (and, frankly, it looks just a little like that), is still likening a side in 18th position after 35 games played with a side that's just lost away to a recently relegated team, unbeaten in the league, after three games of the season.

But clearly you'd prefer him to be our manager after all. I suppose, being an idiot, I failed to read between the lines.

Ta,

Yours,

Idiot xx

I knew I wasn't making things up.

IMO np is doing a great job, and we are just a bit unfortunate.

But what happens if the team plays badly and we lose the next 2 games?

the owners need patience as NP is not only building a squad, but is also sustaining our future.

The current project may take time to work and new additions may still be required in the future, i didnt have the belief that promotion was possible this year, but from some of our dominance in games i may be wrong.

but lets not expect too much, our squad is young, and full of potential for the future.

By expecting to gain promotion a football fan will never be pleased. as even if promotion was achieved 'it was expected'. lets lower our expectations and just enjoy the football.

IMO np is doing a great job, and we are just a bit unfortunate.

But what happens if the team plays badly and we lose the next 2 games?

the owners need patience as NP is not only building a squad, but is also sustaining our future.

The current project may take time to work and new additions may still be required in the future, i didnt have the belief that promotion was possible this year, but from some of our dominance in games i may be wrong.

but lets not expect too much, our squad is young, and full of potential for the future.

I would +1 you for that but I'm all out. I hope that np is given time because this genuinely looks like the start of something good. **** the results we look like a team an exciting attacking team and it may not be this season it comes to fruition, but when it does we will have a team that can challenge with the best and a team we can be proud of again.

I would +1 you for that but I'm all out. I hope that np is given time because this genuinely looks like the start of something good. **** the results we look like a team an exciting attacking team and it may not be this season it comes to fruition, but when it does we will have a team that can challenge with the best and a team we can be proud of again.

Totally agree.

NP has bought in the right players, containing both quality and work rate.

And if JB isnt performing by Jan, i would love to see us get rid and get a couple of experienced players in.

I actually think our general play is fine, I don't think the defence is terrible, granted some fine tuning needed but with Morgan/ whitbread & ledge as potential cb pairings I can see it improving, the one plus side to all of this is the fact that we are playing well the obvious negative we aren't currently turning these performances into results.

Pearson has obviously worked on making us a footballing side, and I am impressed with what he has done. We don't seem to get pushed over in midfield as much, I thought kingy and drinky handled etuhu well, and what a physical presence he is! As for the goals I think it's a case of finding that partnership, be it vardy/ nugent or Becks they need to find a way of working with each other.

Once the pairing has formed a cohesive partnership we will be fine, as far as a partnership goes, we haven't really had one since fryatt and Howard, I can see a good partnership forming between vardy and nuge, in time they will come good!

It's not like we are going into games and being pushed aside with ease, we are coming away with praise for our play and the fact we have been unlucky, we have said this before but i'll say it again, a team is in for a royal hiding of us soon! And once one result comes and the confidence is flowing we will be a force...a bloody good force!

Faith.. Keep it!

Completely agree with what Pearson said in the post-match interview. Vardy was onside, Pedersen was offside and interfering with play for their first, and like he said, we deserved a lot more from the 2 games this week. Onwards and upwards!

Archived