Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Blackburn Post Match Thread 2-1

You are correct of course. I've not been to an away game this season, though will be going to Wolves with any luck.

Having been to many last season and watching Pearson's two banks of 4 away from home, I'm concerned that some of the similar defensive frailties we suffered away from home are becoming apparent again this season.

However you wish to gloss it over, we have now conceded 4 in two games and those defenders who looked so assured and composed at home against Borough suddenly start making errors.

I'm with you and all the optimists. My prediction for where we finish was 7th. It's still 7th.

We have signed some good players, young eager and enthusiastic.

However, what I don't want to see is the defence starting to be slated (like it was on here last season) when I don't think it is exclusively the back four that is the problem.

It's of no coincidence to me that Mills, Bamba, SSL, Konch, Peltier and now DeLaet were all ridiculed on here by many for being defensively suspect. I saw that the 'defensive problem' last season was a 'team problem' and could not be laid solely at the feet of any particular player. I simply don't want to see the same thing happen again this season.

What's the phrase? 'defend as a team, attack as a team'? The latter looks much better, the former still looks like work needs doing on it. I don't have to attend every game to work out that our goals conceded column doesn't make for good reading already. Like it didn't last season.

Anyway, up the City, I remain positive and can't make myself any clearer than that.

: thumbup:

But once again you are making assumptions on style of play and positioning based on last season and coming up with a solution for something which you think exists.

Wait until you've witnessed us first hand a few more times before proposing remedies. At the minute this is tactical munchousen by proxy.

But once again you are making assumptions on style of play and positioning based on last season and coming up with a solution for something which you think exists.

Wait until you've witnessed us first hand a few more times before proposing remedies. At the minute this is tactical munchousen by proxy.

Of course I am Mike..

I'm a football fan, this is a football forum, I'm passionate about my club and don't want us to continue conceding goals away from home.

Two games in or twenty I'd say the same things. Like you did about Vardy's 'first touch' having seen him play what? Two league games?

Don't be hypocritical mate and accept that I'm as passionate about the team succeeding as anyone else.

And just because I can't afford the time nor the money to watch City play away it don't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about either.

:thumbup:

Yet another holier than thou post which neglects to check whether the 'claims' which so irk him are even being made.

I challenge you to find any 'NP OUT' post from the past week or so. Go on.

I'm seriously considering starting an anti-lynching of black people campaign and just assume that you engage in such lynchings. Its not big or clever to rally against something that NOBODY is suggesting.

I think it is wrong to eat babies, but you know, each to their own. See?

The problem of 90% on here is there is an absolute urge to argue. When someone (me in this case) makes a sound point which a poster does not like, all too often the reaction is to think 'I can't counter the argument they are making, but I do have an angry response lined up to a point they are not making'. Either that or too many here just lack the necessary brainpower to understand my simple and coherent points (I even bullet pointed them for those of you lacking in attention span)

If I was as unable to understand the thoughts of others, rationalise my own thoughts and respond without completely missing the point, I think I'd give internet forums a miss.

Look forwards to the next batch of idiots again missing the points and harping on about 'good performance' (I don't disagree so please don't), we shouldn't sack NP (I don't disagree so please don't) or making pointless and groundless comparisons with previous managers or previous attempts at promotions from other clubs (I don't care - and nothing to do with the points I've made.) Save these no doubt scintillating conversations pieces for your nodding mates down at the pub. Wouldn't want to have to actually think when you can just trot out the same old tired lines eh?

Okay, so just to clarify things, when you made a rather snide response to someone who'd said we shouldn't panic, pointing out that when we didn't panic under Holloway 'that ended really well' you actually meant that the one thing we shouldn't do is panic; we're playing well and contrary to your posts stretching back to March this year you now believe that Pearson is the right man for the job. Is that a fair summary?

Now I know it's massively irked you that we've picked your silly little argument to pieces, but you are the first person to get personal about this and start calling people idiots.

Once again you've moved the goalposts because you've lost the thread of your point. 'Don't put words into my mouth that I haven't said' has now become 'don't put words into my mouth that I haven't said in the past seven days.'

This is your problem here: You did make all of these points which you claim not to have made (and if you check I've gone to the trouble of listing the evidence).

So if an idiot is a person who calmly puts down an argument which you have consistently made for seven months just because you've secretly changed your opinion to being pro-Pearson (in spite of making new posts which suggest that, no, you still want him fired), then yes, I guess we're idiots. Interesting though that you seem to suddenly agree with everything I say when that suits you.

Who, precisely, is 'nodding' compliantly in this argument? You, who scurries sheep-like to the point of view which fits best in any given moment, or me?

In summary then (in case your attention span is short, as you put it); if you say something don't deny that you've said it, or get annoyed when people remind you of it. If you have an opinion, be man enough to stick to it. And if you go around calling people idiots, remember that they might not be entirely gracious in return.

Of course I am Mike..

I'm a football fan, this is a football forum, I'm passionate about my club and don't want us to continue conceding goals away from home.

Two games in or twenty I'd say the same things. Like you did about Vardy's 'first touch' having seen him play what? Two league games?

Don't be hypocritical mate and accept that I'm as passionate about the team succeeding as anyone else.

It's your rational (edited from the autocorrect intelegence) not your passion I'm questioning.

In the two games I have seen Vardy play his touch has been poor so I said as much, I also said he runs around a lot, tries very hard and finds himself in good positions. In the one league game you've seen we've conceded zero goals yet you feel compelled to find a cure (using a hypothesis based on last season) for our defensive lapses inspite of the fact that each goal conceded has come from a completely different source and style.

It's your intelligence not your passion I'm questioning.

In the two games I have seen Vardy play his touch has been poor so I said as much, I also said he runs around a lot, tries very hard and finds himself in good positions. In the one league game you've seen we've conceded zero goals yet you feel compelled to find a cure (using a hypothesis based on last season) for our defensive lapses inspite of the fact that each goal conceded has come from a completely different source and style.

We're going round in circles Mike.

You win my friend

:thumbup:

some Bambaesque moments from Morgan yesterday.

Ran up the pitch dribbling the ball (then lost it though)

some fancy footwork with the ball around an attacker in defence.

Some good headers at both ends.

There's hope for the guy after all ;)

Incleyfox. You win. I'm obviously the idiot. I still don't think you've read and understood my posts on anything but a very superficial and reactionary level but well done you be the big man. I'll keep my concerns to myself in the future.

I've got friends and family to see so I'll leave you to revel in your self righteousness.

Might be broken but not a lot you can do for fingers they tend the just heal themselves. Mine are all crooked and manky from all the fingering I've done. The doctor literally tells me just to piss off when I turn up now with a throbbing digit. So I guess my advice to you is rest that little hand

lol

You've actually made me log in on my PC now to explain myself so here goes. I've done it in bullet point for for a) brevity and b) to assist those with short attention spans - there must be a lot of you

• I don't think NP should be sacked I thing it would be the wrong thing to do. My point was he is ultimately going to be judged on results and so far those results have been poor- but also that there is A time to panic. Not now, but the signs are not good.

Twice in a few days, we haven't got the results our performances deserved. That's unfortunate, but it won't happen for much longer. I can't believe anyone could be thinking about panicking after seeing the last two matches. I've seen how good this team can be, and am confident that as long as they carry on like this, it's only a matter of time before we do start picking up points.

• We have always looked like creating chances. Ok, some games under Sven and under NP we looked a bit bereft of ideas. Often though it was missed chances and 'poor' refereeing decisions (LCFC fans' persecution complex - may come back to this but I'll have to put my tin hat on) and very poor defending at times. These issues are recurring. That is a bad, bad, bad sign. We need to give it time - and I know there are injuries at the back, but you can't ship 2 goals a game and go up (at least it would take a hell of an effort in terms of goalscoring)

We haven't always looked like creating chances, no. If you can't tell the difference between the team this season and last, then I don't know what to suggest.

Yes, people do blame the officials more often than they should, but that's not to say that it's never justified. If Vardy's goal should have been ruled out, then Blackburn's first should also have been disallowed.

I don't think the defending was that bad yesterday. Both Gomes's and Pedersen's finishes were PL class. Yes, we might have done better at stopping them, but in most games in this division, we won't have to, because not many sides in this league have players that can do that to us. You said yourself we do need to give it time, and you're right to say that.

Blackburn only managed to create three real chances all game. We battered a side full of internationals, at their ground, and all that was wrong was only one of either our ruthlessness in front of goal/a poor refereeing decision. If you look at the big picture, these are very small problems, and over the whole season, there won't be many more times they reoccur.

As you said, there are injuries at the back. It is unfortunate that we've only had one senior centre half available for the first four games. I think Moore looks like a good player for the future, but I'm sure we'd do better with a more experienced player in such a key position.

• I very much DO understand the positive correlation between level of performance and level of points gained - but I refer my 'friend/accuser' to the irrefutable assertion that there is a far stonger positive correlation (indeed a perfect correlation) between results and points gained and therefore league position. Remember, this is what LCFC / NP / the players etc will be judged on.

I'm not really sure what your point is. How do you think we should go about trying to get points? By trying to play badly? Seriously, what do you mean? We've tried bossing two games away from home and it hasn't got us any points, so let's try something else instead?

• I don't appreciate the assumptions that I think NP should be sacked. I don't like people putting words in my mouth, especially idiots. I don't think he should be sacked. Please consider my comments a cautionary tale on the 'jam tomorrow' philosophy of 'everything is okay and it will all come right tomorrow/next week/next match/when x is not injured/when we signed 25 goal a season striker'. We have gone down the road of 'we are too good to go down' and 'the performances are good so why worry?' before. That's all I'm saying. Please try to understand that.
  • I'm making plenty of points so if you disagree, why not attack me (if you must?) for one I am making, and not one I'm not making and do not agree with? If I want an idiot to put words in my mouth, I'll PM you.

You're talking about two matches at the beginning of the season. I think you're worrying far too much. Give it another ten games and see if your points are still valid. I strongly suspect they won't be.

People are not putting words in your mouth re: you wanting Pearson sacked. Maybe you've got a short memory, but you did say that not long ago. Apparently, you've recently changed your tune and now you want to have your cake and eat it.

I really don't think you're right to feel aggrieved about others assuming you think x, if you often say x for so long. If you hold one position for as long as you have regarding wanting the manager sacked, then surely it can't be surprising to find out people think you hold that position. A recent complete u-turn without telling anyone won't do anything to change that.

Ta

Yours,

Blue Mongie

Twice in a few days, we haven't got the results our performances deserved. That's unfortunate, but it won't happen for much longer. I can't believe anyone could be thinking about panicking after seeing the last two matches. I've seen how good this team can be, and am confident that as long as they carry on like this, it's only a matter of time before we do start picking up points.

We haven't always looked like creating chances, no. If you can't tell the difference between the team this season and last, then I don't know what to suggest.

Yes, people do blame the officials more often than they should, but that's not to say that it's never justified. If Vardy's goal should have been ruled out, then Blackburn's first should also have been disallowed.

I don't think the defending was that bad yesterday. Both Gomes's and Pedersen's finishes were PL class. Yes, we might have done better at stopping them, but in most games in this division, we won't have to, because not many sides in this league have players that can do that to us. You said yourself we do need to give it time, and you're right to say that.

Blackburn only managed to create three real chances all game. We battered a side full of internationals, at their ground, and all that was wrong was only one of either our ruthlessness in front of goal/a poor refereeing decision. If you look at the big picture, these are very small problems, and over the whole season, there won't be many more times they reoccur.

As you said, there are injuries at the back. It is unfortunate that we've only had one senior centre half available for the first four games. I think Moore looks like a good player for the future, but I'm sure we'd do better with a more experienced player in such a key position.

I'm not really sure what your point is. How do you think we should go about trying to get points? By trying to play badly? Seriously, what do you mean? We've tried bossing two games away from home and it hasn't got us any points, so let's try something else instead?

You're talking about two matches at the beginning of the season. I think you're worrying far too much. Give it another ten games and see if your points are still valid. I strongly suspect they won't be.

People are not putting words in your mouth re: you wanting Pearson sacked. Maybe you've got a short memory, but you did say that not long ago. Apparently, you've recently changed your tune and now you want to have your cake and eat it.

I really don't think you're right to feel aggrieved about others assuming you think x, if you often say x for so long. If you hold one position for as long as you have regarding wanting the manager sacked, then surely it can't be surprising to find out people think you hold that position. A recent complete u-turn without telling anyone won't do anything to change that.

I usually rate your posts mate, as you know, but don't be naive. There's plenty of teams and players in this division that can do this to us if we don't cover well enough. We've seen it already in Wright-Phillips for instance.

I usually rate your posts mate, as you know, but don't be naive. There's plenty of teams and players in this division that can do this to us if we don't cover well enough. We've seen it already in Wright-Phillips for instance.

I don't think I am being naive in saying those types of goals won't happen very often. Both Blackburn's goals and BWP's weren't conceded because of lack of cover - there were defenders in position on each occasion. All three were very good finishes. Maybe the defenders in question should have got a tackle or a block in, and maybe the keeper should do better, but sometimes you will concede goals that you can't do anything about.

Blackburn managed to score because they have Premier League quality players who can provide Premier League quality finishes. If we can restrict other sides in this division to the same three clear chances Blackburn had, 9 times out of 10 they won't score two of them. Usually, with that type of shot, it's off target, someone gets a block in or the keeper saves it. I hate to talk about luck, but it is unusual to be hit by three of them in the space of a few days. You can't realistically expect to stop the opposition from getting any shots on goal at all, so to do as well as we did in that respect at Ewood Park is commendable.

Yesterday's result only hurts so much because we played so well. No team in the second tier ever goes undefeated for a whole season, and if I had to guess three games we would lose, Blackburn away would have been one of them. If someone had told me before k.o. that we'd be all over them all game, and that we'd restrict them to only a few chances on our goal, I wouldn't have believed them.

It's a shame they scored more than us, because that's ultimately what the game's all about, but we were the better side, and to succeed, all we have to do is carry on as we are. I don't think we should be entertaining any thoughts of drastic changes. I don't want us to change our attacking approach, our formation or tactics. Really, the only thing that needs to improve for us to go on a winning streak is our finishing.

I don't think I am being naive in saying those types of goals won't happen very often. Both Blackburn's goals and BWP's weren't conceded because of lack of cover - there were defenders in position on each occasion. All three were very good finishes. Maybe the defenders in question should have got a tackle or a block in, and maybe the keeper should do better, but sometimes you will concede goals that you can't do anything about.

Blackburn managed to score because they have Premier League quality players who can provide Premier League quality finishes. If we can restrict other sides in this division to the same three clear chances Blackburn had, 9 times out of 10 they won't score two of them. Usually, with that type of shot, it's off target, someone gets a block in or the keeper saves it. I hate to talk about luck, but it is unusual to be hit by three of them in the space of a few days. You can't realistically expect to stop the opposition from getting any shots on goal at all, so to do as well as we did in that respect at Ewood Park is commendable.

Yesterday's result only hurts so much because we played so well. No team in the second tier ever goes undefeated for a whole season, and if I had to guess three games we would lose, Blackburn away would have been one of them. If someone had told me before k.o. that we'd be all over them all game, and that we'd restrict them to only a few chances on our goal, I wouldn't have believed them.

It's a shame they scored more than us, because that's ultimately what the game's all about, but we were the better side, and to succeed, all we have to do is carry on as we are. I don't think we should be entertaining any thoughts of drastic changes. I don't want us to change our attacking approach, our formation or tactics. Really, the only thing that needs to improve for us to go on a winning streak is our finishing.

RD is there any such thing as 'luck' in football?

Really?

Why we lost against Charlton wasn't about luck. The BWP goal was about giving him too much time to pick his spot. The MGP was exactly the same. None of our defenders, nor midfielders were close enough to either striker to put them off.

Now, down the other end, it wasn't 'luck' that meant Nugent didn't take his headed chance. It was about two things. Firstly, Nugent didn't put it either side of Robbo, instead heading it straight at him, secondly because Robbo made a great point blank save. That's not 'luck' mate, that's spurning a great chance, and the quality of the keeper.

The only 'luck' that I could see we didn't have yesterday was the offside goal that blatantly wasn't. However, having watched football for donkeys years, officials decisions usually even themselves up over the course of a season.

Defensive errors and missed chances aren't about luck RD. They are exactly what they are. Missed chances and goals conceded to players with quality.

My initial reply to you was to say there's plenty of quality in this division. And players who will punish us if given the chance.

Unlike some others on here I'm not calling for Pearson out. That would be utterly ridiculous at this stage of the season. Nor am I trying to look for excuses regarding why we have only collected 3 out of 9 points.

Let's start turning 'we should have won' into 'we did win'.. Such that optimism becomes reality.

I watched the stream and like a lot of people thought we played well. I have full confidence that the chances will be converted and we'll win games. We do need to have more steel at the back, with a mid fielder tracking back to provide cover. But that will come as they play together more.

It looks like we are playing some nice football and I think we will have a much more settled side this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

So if you have a different attitude how are going to change things? Perhaps you could write a letter or confront Pearson, being a man of action as you are.

I am also not sure you know what the words 'very' and 'dangerous' mean.

Pearson has a job as manager, which includes a responsibility to get results.Is up to him "to change things".

Just because we don't all want to kiss Pearson's a--e, there is no need to stamp your feet, and be petulant. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Really buoyed by our performance again yesterday. It was always going to take a few weeks to find our best side and start playing. We've played 3 teams who are relatively settled and familiarity plays a big part. Confident the results will follow.

Our support yesterday was woeful though. Only about 4/5 rows towards the back singing.

Really?

Why we lost against Charlton wasn't about luck. The BWP goal was about giving him too much time to pick his spot. The MGP was exactly the same. None of our defenders, nor midfielders were close enough to either striker to put them off.

Now, down the other end, it wasn't 'luck' that meant Nugent didn't take his headed chance. It was about two things. Firstly, Nugent didn't put it either side of Robbo, instead heading it straight at him, secondly because Robbo made a great point blank save. That's not 'luck' mate, that's spurning a great chance, and the quality of the keeper.

The only 'luck' that I could see we didn't have yesterday was the offside goal that blatantly wasn't. However, having watched football for donkeys years, officials decisions usually even themselves up over the course of a season.

Defensive errors and missed chances aren't about luck RD. They are exactly what they are. Missed chances and goals conceded to players with quality.

My initial reply to you was to say there's plenty of quality in this division. And players who will punish us if given the chance.

Unlike some others on here I'm not calling for Pearson out. That would be utterly ridiculous at this stage of the season. Nor am I trying to look for excuses regarding why we have only collected 3 out of 9 points.

Let's start turning 'we should have won' into 'we did win'.. Such that optimism becomes reality.

Of course there is luck involved in football, Col. There are things that the team has very little or no control over. Injuries, refereeing decisions, the opposition's performance, etc. Sometimes these things go in your favour, at other times they don't. That's luck. Of course, the players' performances are the biggest factor in a match's result, but luck does come into it as well.

I never said Nugent missing a point blank header had anything to do with luck. He should have buried it.

As I said, it's not realistic to expect to stop the opponents from ever having a shot on goal. You can restrict chances, but it's too much to ask to prevent them from ever happening. When the opposition do have an attempt on goal, you can be lucky enough to be on the receiving end of a shot you are able to deal with or see it go past the post, or on the other hand you can be unlucky and helplessly watch the ball sail into the net.

All I'm trying to say is that if we carry on restricting chances like we did yesterday, we won't concede many goals.

Of course there is luck involved in football, Col. There are things that the team has very little or no control over. Injuries, refereeing decisions, the opposition's performance, etc. Sometimes these things go in your favour, at other times they don't. That's luck. Of course, the players' performances are the biggest factor in a match's result, but luck does come into it as well.

I never said Nugent missing a point blank header had anything to do with luck. He should have buried it.

As I said, it's not realistic to expect to stop the opponents from ever having a shot on goal. You can restrict chances, but it's too much to ask to prevent them from ever happening. When the opposition do have an attempt on goal, you can be lucky enough to be on the receiving end of a shot you are able to deal with or see it go past the post, or on the other hand you can be unlucky and helplessly watch the ball sail into the net.

All I'm trying to say is that if we carry on restricting chances like we did yesterday, we won't concede many goals.

Mate.. We've already conceded 4 goals. And in both games it could easily have been more when we had to go for an equaliser and left ourselves totally exposed?

I think I get what you're saying and im not trying to be obtuse, but we HAVE already lost four goals away from home?

The saving grace I guess is that some of the other teams appear to be getting mullered away from home. Ipswich leaking 6 yesterday makes our two conceded look like small potatoes.

Mate.. We've already conceded 4 goals. And in both games it could easily have been more when we had to go for an equaliser and left ourselves totally exposed?

I think I get what you're saying and im not trying to be obtuse, but we HAVE already lost four goals away from home?

The saving grace I guess is that some of the other teams appear to be getting mullered away from home. Ipswich leaking 6 yesterday makes our two conceded look like small potatoes.

Barnsley and Cardiff (supposed promotion challengers loosing 4-2 to Brizzle City lol ) as well, so it isn't all doom and gloom very early stages in the season I would be very surprised to see the top 2 atm, their at the end of the season.

Still can't work out how we lost yesterday. They scored two good goals (as did we), but apart from that we were comfortable and had plenty of the ball whilst creating lots of good opportunities. Robinson was kept busy and we showed good commitment to get forward and put pressure on them.

Very hard to take, especially when we had a perfectly good goal disallowed (spotted that "offside" didn't you lino?) and we were the better side. But again we take no points from the match and it's worrying, for the third straight year, to see two defeats in our first three matches.

I see plenty of effort and determination, and a positive style away from home, but we've got nothing again and it needs to change. We have to make our periods of superiority count.

Don't want to keep looking back on 'what could have been a win' from our last two games any longer now. The players have got to get those defeats out of their minds come Tuesday and Saturday otherwise we'll be suffering more disappointments. Once we start burying those chances, our season will be up and running.

We played superbly yesterday and completely dominated blackburn for most the game. Swap lloyd for knock and theres our team. However i thought our fans were piss poor. For those that think sitting down doesnt effect the atmos, well your wrong. Watched a good third of our support sit on their hands for 90 mins. If you want to sit, sit in your armchair at home and listen to the radio....had to get that off my chest.

We played superbly yesterday and completely dominated blackburn for most the game. Swap lloyd for knock and theres our team. However i thought our fans were piss poor. For those that think sitting down doesnt effect the atmos, well your wrong. Watched a good third of our support sit on their hands for 90 mins. If you want to sit, sit in your armchair at home and listen to the radio....had to get that off my chest.

'How to dominate with 43% possession by I M Unlucky'

Really?

Yes and no. I prefer to think of it in terms of percentages; the two finishes they pulled out were both very good, but on most days I doubt they would have scored from both, let alone one of them.

Nothing lucky about the finishes themselves, but if they were capable of finishing like that every time, then they would probably be playing for a much better team. It's just out bad luck that they chose that game to put their shooting boots on.

'How to dominate with 43% possession by I M Unlucky'

I've covered this point before - we did dominate possession up untill they got the second goal, at which point they were happy to sit back. It's much easier to keep possession if you're not trying to score again, whereas we were attacking lots and therefore were going to lose the ball more often.

The statistics are misleading - we dominated up untill they tried to kill the game.

Archived