Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Chill Out It Was Only The League Cup

I was pondering whether to make this thread or not, but I need to get things off my chest, which some people may agree with but some people will disagree, but im willing to take the rap. After calming down since last night's defeat, I have quite a few things to say.

Yes last night was horrible, one of our worst performances in a long time, but loads of teams were in the same boat as us last night. It was the manner of defeat which of course shocked people, but these results happen all the time in the League Cup, plenty happened in the first round loads happened last night, it was just unfortunate that we were one of the teams, on the wrong end of a shock defeat.

Ipswich lost to League One opposition, Crawley knocked out Bolton(the favourites for the Championship), Hull were 2-0 up and ended up losing to Doncaster, Blackburn lost to MK Dons, Crystal Palace got absolutely hammered, Stoke lost at home to Swindon and Watford were 1-0 up only to lose 2-1 in the final minute.

A load of teams were in the same boat as us last night, it's the League Cup for goodness sake is anybody really bothered about this cup, it's the cup where fringe players are used often by Premier League and Championship sides, playing a weaker side sometimes pays off like it did in the first round against Torquay, and sometimes it backfires like last night.

The League Cup is all about giving players opportunities to show there worth, we were never ever gonna play the first team last night, like some people put in the pre match thread, we was never gonna start the likes of Drinkwater, King, Nugent, Marshall, Vardy etc..., Pearson yet again was willing to give players chances and they simply didn't perform, like Bolton, Hull and Blackburn's fringe players they simply didn't perform last night. The transfer window of course closes in two days time, so obviously Pearson has that in mind, he even said in his post match interview, that the game was simply to see if the back up players were simply good enough, and as the result proves, the likes of Gallagher, Waghorn, Danns, James and Schlupp are not good enough at this moment in time.

Yes Pearson may of got tactics wrong, but to say Kasper is off form is a load of tosh, last night he had a off game he has done well at the start of this season apart from a few dodgy kicks. Whitbread and St Ledger shouldn't of started together that is an obvious mistake, both are just coming back from injury not 100% fit, then they get chucked in the central of defence together, after full time Pearson probably knew he made a mistake on that front.

Danns and James seem to be our back up to central midfield, so it was obvious they were going to get played last night, and yet again they didn't really step up to the plate, but we have King and Drinkwater who seem to be our first choice pairing both of which are on form, you will not see Danns and James playing on Saturday. Gallagher and Knockaert have been back up so far this season, Knockaert took his chance so that is one positive out of the game, but Gallagher didn't take his chance, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave on Friday, as he is behind Dyer, Marshall and Knockaert in the pecking order. While it seemed to be last chance saloon for the likes of Waghorn and Schlupp, they simply didn't perform last night, personally as many of you have probably seen, I think it's time for Waghorn to go, he won't get another chance at this club I doubt, and I can't see him getting over Vardy, Beckford, Nugent and Futacs, while Schlupp is a good young player, along with Liam Moore he is our best talent, but I think he should be loaned out. Futacs, people said he came on and was shit last night; however he scored a goal on his DEBUT and nobody can take that away from him.

We have played really well so far in our League games, Charlton we should of drew, Blackburn we could of easily won, people will say stop giving out excuses but this time on Saturday those people were saying we played well at Blackburn and it was a great performance.

Half the players which played against Burton will not feature on Saturday, some won't even make the bench. Our first eleven have performed so far, Morgan has been impressive, Moore has looked impressive, Drinkwater has improved dramatically, King is back to form, Vardy seems to be a excellent buy, while Nugent or Beckford will also feature.

Give Pearson a break, and see what Saturday brings, if we lose on Saturday then we have a right to fume, but im not too disappointed to see us go out of the League Cup, and when people wake up and realise the frustration is not needed, they will also realise that losing in the League Cup isn't really disappointing, than losing a League game. Blackpool come to us in the best possible form, but our line up will look entirely different our first teamers are capable of beating Blackpool on Saturday.

Just Keep the Faith for a little longer perhaps :thumbup:

Disagree. I care about the League Cup, it's played a huge part in the club's history and although other clubs devalue it we shouldn't stoop to that level.

The players who played last night will be needed at some point this season. For most, the first 90 minutes they've had has been a humiliating home thumping by a League 2 side. Does that inspire confidence?

We threw away a good opportunity to win last night and it shouldn't be dismissed as "only the League Cup".

But still, we'll win the next few league games as we can concentrate on the league, right?

Disagree. I care about the League Cup, it's played a huge part in the club's history and although other clubs devalue it we shouldn't stoop to that level.

The players who played last night will be needed at some point this season. For most, the first 90 minutes they've had has been a humiliating home thumping by a League 2 side. Does that inspire confidence?

We threw away a good opportunity to win last night and it shouldn't be dismissed as "only the League Cup".

But still, we'll win the next few league games as we can concentrate on the league, right?

I don't think many "in the game" care about the League Cup though, at least not the bigger teams and I think that reflects in the results of the first two rounds.

What price an all Championship (or lower) final this year?

It has played a big part in the clubs history, but it is a tertiary competition way behind promotion and then the FA cup, in 1997 the season after we won it we went out in the first round we competed in, losing 3-1 to Grimsby, with quite a strong side, nobody cared.

If resting players and bringing others back to fitness helps us in our league campaign at the expense of the League Cup quarter final exit, then I am ok with that.

I don't think many "in the game" care about the League Cup though, at least not the bigger teams and I think that reflects in the results of the first two rounds.

What price an all Championship (or lower) final this year?

Well, that could've been us Trav, you don't know. The main issue for me is the performance of the fringe players, who have come in and not excelled themselves, and missed out on an opportunity to play more matches.

It has played a big part in the clubs history, but it is a tertiary competition way behind promotion and then the FA cup, in 1997 the season after we won it we went out in the first round we competed in, losing 3-1 to Grimsby, with quite a strong side, nobody cared.

If resting players and bringing others back to fitness helps us in our league campaign at the expense of the League Cup quarter final exit, then I am ok with that.

If we win the next few league games then I can accept this, because we may've learnt from it and we might not have a distraction (although I don't see it that way, you don't need to go full throttle at it early on).

As I replied to Trav, the fringe players could've made an impression and given the manager positive headaches. I doubt that's the case though.

i agree couldn't give a fvk about the league cup. Portsmouth a couple of years ago won 1-2 in the cup, lost 6-1 on the Saturday in the same week.

THE CUP MEANS NOTHING

Yeah don't worry. It's not like the only cup we've ever won...

Disagree.

I care about any cup and every match.

Last night showed two things:

1. Those who were expected to step up to the mark failed miserably

2. Pearson got it wrong. By changing the team so radically has done lots of harm and little good.

Don't smooth it over by saying 'its only the cup'..

That's another excuse.

How many fans BEFORE the game were saying they didn't care if we won. 'it's only the cup'

Very few.

Most of us were saying lets smash them and go into the Blackpool game full of confidence.

Excuses again...

Disagree.

2. Pearson got it wrong. By changing the team so radically has done lots of harm and little good.

That's another excuse.

How many fans BEFORE the game were saying they didn't care if we won. 'it's only the cup'

Very few.

Most of us were saying lets smash them and go into the Blackpool game full of confidence.

Excuses again...

Be honest, do you feel anything like you do after a league loss? I was mildly annoyed at best yesterday. If we lose in the league I'm a grumpy git for about 4 days afterwards (some would say I always am).

I don't want to lose a game, and we shouldn't have lost the game... but I'm not really bothered about it.

I agree, just one of them games in which they scored with every shot. And from it we can learn perhaps who is and is not ready for first team action. for some players it will be a case of them getting fit whilst others a loan move and possibly moving on all together. Despite only a 1point average in the championship the squad looks very good with lots of youthful talent that we bought at a good price rather than overpaying for average middle career players.

whilst we have not got things quite right yet this squad is surely worth our faith and support. Last thing we need is a team does not believe the fans are behind them

i agree couldn't give a fvk about the league cup. Portsmouth a couple of years ago won 1-2 in the cup, lost 6-1 on the Saturday in the same week.

THE CUP MEANS NOTHING

Brilliant example of why the results don't matter, accept for 1997 and 2000 though :whistle:

Be honest, do you feel anything like you do after a league loss? I was mildly annoyed at best yesterday. If we lose in the league I'm a grumpy git for about 4 days afterwards (some would say I always am).

I don't want to lose a game, and we shouldn't have lost the game... but I'm not really bothered about it.

Honest?

Yes I do absolutely..

As I said before the game I love a good cup run.

Last night would have put us in the third round and then anything could have happened.

There's no point being in at tournament if you don't want to progress in it

I remember well the cup runs we had under MON.. Great fun and I'm convinced the buoyancy we got from them did us good in the league too.

Sadly distant memories...

You be honest.. Are you really so accepting of mediocrity that you don't even want to do well in the cup?

If we win on Saturday then this could be put down to a blip, a bad performance. But I was so disappointed at the lack of anything encouraging last night, in contrast to the positives I took from Blackburn.

Honest?

Yes I do absolutely..

As I said before the game I love a good cup run.

Last night would have put us in the third round and then anything could have happened.

There's no point being in at tournament if you don't want to progress in it

I remember well the cup runs we had under MON.. Great fun and I'm convinced the buoyancy we got from them did us good in the league too.

Sadly distant memories...

You be honest.. Are you really so accepting of mediocrity that you don't even want to do well in the cup?

Who said I didn't want to progress or that I didn't want to do well? I want us to win every game, but there are some that if we do lose I'm not really fussed about. And the league cup is one of them.

The fact only 9000 people turned up shows that there are a large majority of people who also aren't particularly bothered. People only get interested in the later rounds when they think we might actually get in a semi etc.

Getting a bit tired of having our failing compared to others last night. First of all Burton in my book worst team in the competition and they didn't even have to play well to beat us, we were poor, horrific to watch, underestimated a side of 11 professional players (players and fans alike) and it is disappointing to be out at such an early stage. They got lucky with a couple of the goals (although I haven't seen a replay of the pen) but Taylors goal was farcical and that was the one that really put us on the back foot. Swindon play some great football and we’ll more than likely get promoted and Wednesday are a decent enough Championship side at home. I find us going 4-1 down to Burton Albion on 68 minutes at home more unbelievable than anything else that transpired last night.

Not the end of the world admittedly but Its a big shame some players trying to break into the team, like Danns, Whitbred, SSL just showed they are either nowhere near fit enough or nowhere near good enough. Doesn't really give us any hope regarding the depth we have nor does it give Pearson viable options to change it up, Danns especially I was shocked with I see Sunday morning players give the ball away fewer times in 90 minutes than he did last night. I actually quite rate him but would suspect it will be awhile before he gets another go, and rightly so.

Even worse was to see Konchesky play under par again and Kasper should of done better with Maghomas goal, great strike that it was. And the likes Nugent and King being bought on to rescue the situation and making little impact. Also Distraught by Pearsons approach towards the end, which was get the ball to Schiemical and whack it up to Futacs, against a side from League Two. Predictable, boring, never going to work.

Try and brush it under the carpet all you want they need to improve, no doubt there will be changes for Saturday and the league games I've have been encouraging at times, but Blackpool are a good side and we need to start winning soon otherwise we'll be climbing a mountain again like we had to last season.

Disagree.

That's another excuse.

Very few.

Excuses again...

Fair enough Col, like I said some people will agree and some people won't.

But surely you would rather lose in the League Cup, than losing a League game whoever doesn't think that is stupid.

We were never gonna win the thing were we.

League Cup is all about giving back up and fringe players opportunities, saying Pearson radically changed the team is a load of rubbish, because it was always going to happen if you like it or not.

At the end of the day, we gave our back up players a chance to perform last night like many other Premier League and Championship sides, at the end of the day they didn't perform and at the end of the day we lost. All of that can't be helped now, we can't help it if our back up isn't good enough, Pearson will obviously rectify this problem over the next couple of days, starting with terminating Kennedy's contract and bringing in Ryan Shotton.

I hope to win every game, its not "just the cup" it is my City playing to win a game. i didnt see the game, but reports suggest that we were very very poor against opposition that we should outplay with our 3rd side.

in my opinion there is no such thing as "just a"

The interview i have read from NP is all well and good that he is unhappy and the players didnt perform.. but again, he does not elaborate on what needs to be done to correct it, or what he is going to do.

People have a right to complain and question.

I think it's a bit sad that it's a huge part in the club's history. For the amount of fans we've got it's pitiful that's the only trophy we've won. Just because we've won it doesn't mean we should cling on to it like it's a huge trophy, because lets face it, it isn't. Technically it's a major trophy, but nobody ever remembers great league cup ties do they?

The big sides don't even play their best team until the latter stages, sometimes not even then. That's why it's the 'Mickey Mouse Cup', none of the good teams take it seriously so it's not considered that much of an achievement. It's nice that we won it twice under O'Neill, but honestly, I would only really start taking it seriously at the semi-final stage. And even then, it's not the FA Cup.

And Pearson obviously doesn't take it that seriously (despite what he might say) because obviously he didn't play a full strength team last night.So yes, it is only the league cup, and that's why people shouldn't overreact, because it's not like we lost badly with all our best players on the pitch.

There was nothing encouraging about last night (or that's the impression I get anyway) but I don't see why people are so dispondent. It's a tournament we're unlikely to do well in and the league is more important. Even the team that played last night probably wouldn't lose to Burton more than once or twice out of ten. It's just one of those bad nights.

As for your last comment, if we do win our next few league games will you stilll be thinking about this one?

As for your last comment, if we do win our next few league games will you stilll be thinking about this one?

No I won't, I'll be pleased because we've sorted ourselves out. The league is most important and it's crucial we pull ourselves up the table.

Fair enough Col, like I said some people will agree and some people won't.

But surely you would rather lose in the League Cup, than losing a League game whoever doesn't think that is stupid.

We were never gonna win the thing were we.

League Cup is all about giving back up and fringe players opportunities, saying Pearson radically changed the team is a load of rubbish, because it was always going to happen if you like it or not.

At the end of the day, we gave our back up players a chance to perform last night like many other Premier League and Championship sides, at the end of the day they didn't perform and at the end of the day we lost. All of that can't be helped now, we can't help it if our back up isn't good enough, Pearson will obviously rectify this problem over the next couple of days, starting with terminating Kennedy's contract and bringing in Ryan Shotton.

Good post KF..

However to be honest mate I see absolutely no reason, none whatsoever, why we shouldn't win both.

ie. why we couldn't win last night and the league game on Saturday.

Why on earth not?

Many people seem to be glossing over the fact that the team we put out last night, in most peoples eyes, was a strong eleven given the opposition.

I'm sat here thinking for the life of me, how anybody can say that last nights game was anything other than a huge let down for all involved.

Get to the third round and we could have had a decent away game to look forward to, now sadly lost.

Anyone remembering the MON days will know what I mean.

I consider it a sad indictment that people can so easily ignore the good that a cup run does for the players, the fans and the image of the club itself.

I'd wager if we won last night and won well, the dispondency that came thereafter would have turned (in some part) to happiness.

This is exactly what I mean.

Disagree.

That's another excuse.

Very few.

Excuses again...

You care so much you watched that jimmy Mcgovern thing instead of listening to the second half.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/83358-burton-match-thread/page__st__180#entry2332360

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 PM

I'm off to watch tele...

We'll win.. 3-1..

You heard it hear first..

Adios all

What was the score?

Was just watching the tele...

Jimmy McGoverns 'accused'.. Fookin brilliant!

4 fookin 2!!!

What the Fook!!!

I didn't go, or listen, I followed on FT, while watching SSN, but then I don't really give a shit about Burton in the League cup.

Archived