Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Would you take a mid-table finish this year with our finances back in tact?

196 members have voted

1. 1. Mid-Table and Self-Sufficient?

• Yes
    • No
    • Pearson Out

Who says our finances are in a mess? We have millionaire owners. You people are mental, let the club worry about the finances (which i'm sure they are doing) and let us concentrate on getting behind the club to win promotion. Mid-table? Eff off.

Just because they are rich doesn't mean when they leave they wont want it back.........maybe someone on here knows if they are loans to the club or not.

I think the damage that Sven has imparted on the club will be felt for many years to come. Pearson has an unbelievably tough task to rebuild a team which is financially stable whilst remaining competitive. It genuinely makes me laugh when people criticise him but then I don't get annoyed because I can safely assume that these people are stooooopid.

Erm, the seasons only 3 games old, what's the problem? Bookies are there to make money, they make money by trying to con people into giving it to them, so you make someone the favourite so more people gamble on that team. When that team doesn't go up you get to keep that money.

Yes. While Premier League football would of course be lovely, it is something I can live without. A proper football club, ran with common sense and within its means would be preferable to the circus of the past two years, regardless of the league we are in.

I hope that, if Pearsons remit is to reduce the wage bill while remaining competitive, then he gets ample time to do so and no rash decisions are made.

I think the damage that Sven has imparted on the club will be felt for many years to come. Pearson has an unbelievably tough task to rebuild a team which is financially stable whilst remaining competitive. It genuinely makes me laugh when people criticise him but then I don't get annoyed because I can safely assume that these people are stooooopid.

I am not the biggest fan of Sven and his time here but to blame him for our finances is ridiculous. Any deal he made for players was sanctioned by the club and the final decision on the clubs spending would not have belonged to Sven. The club is to blame not any manager.

Without doubt the appointment of Taylor post MoN must rank as the worst in the history of the club. We have never really recovered from it.

We agree on something! :) I honestly think our demise can be traced back to almost one moment - Roy Essendoh's winner for Wycombe at the old Filbo. It's like everything went wrong from that point onwards.

I am not the biggest fan of Sven and his time here but to blame him for our finances is ridiculous. Any deal he made for players was sanctioned by the club and the final decision on the clubs spending would not have belonged to Sven. The club is to blame not any manager.

I think, albeit naive to levy the entirety of the blame at Sven's feet, Sven was a major factor in the financial meltdown. Without professing to be an in-the-know I do have some, although limited, knowledge of how some of these transactions work. Sven would have made it clear who he wanted - he could have chosen more financially viable players; but he didn't. Of course the club sanctioned the deals but this would have been based on Sven's supposed superior knowledge of the game - "get these players and we will reach the promised land of the premier league".

Unfortuantely no one came out of the Sven era well. Luckily we got rid when did - moreover his poor player recruitment he was very tactically poor... But that's another debate altogether!

We agree on something! :) I honestly think our demise can be traced back to almost one moment - Roy Essendoh's winner for Wycombe at the old Filbo. It's like everything went wrong from that point onwards.

Why do you think no one wanted MON to leave?

And if people think there was some upset after Sven left, it ain't in the same league, not the same universe as the angst suffered when we knew MON was heading north of the border.

:thumbup:

You don’t need to outspend everyone to get promoted; you need a well thought out long term plan, with good management, coaching and recruitment!

Reading, Swansea et al didn’t buy their way out of the division.

I know being a big spending club can be exciting as a fan, but raises expectations, which cause unrest amongst players and fans. I don’t want us to be a Portsmouth or Rangers!

I would prefer financial security and a steady progress, spending money wisely on the academy and up and coming players to build to promote in 2 to 3 years’ time.

Plus we can still do it this year! We have good players and realistic manager, judge them at the end of the season not the end of August!

Before the pre-season games, I said realistically we won't get promoted this season due to having to get the club on an even keel first. I predicted 8th place and would have been very happy with that and being close to self sufficient. After some good signings and a promising pre-season I revised that to 6th. Despite what's happened so far I still think we're well capable of at least that but i'd still accept around 8th knowing the clubs future is secure

Why do you think no one wanted MON to leave?

And if people think there was some upset after Sven left, it ain't in the same league, not the same universe as the angst suffered when we knew MON was heading north of the border.

:thumbup:

Er.... You've confused me there Col! Were you replying to my post? If you were, mine was made a little bit tongue in cheek. I do think that RE's goal was a significant moment but obviously things started to unravel when we replaced MON with P@#%^ T#*%>€.

I love the expression, "Would you take", it implies something is ours by right, thatif we don't get it, we've been swindled.

"Would you be happy with", would be better.

And by the way, "in tact"... one word.

I love the expression, "Would you take", it implies something is ours by right, thatif we don't get it, we've been swindled.

"Would you be happy with", would be better.

And by the way, "in tact"... one word.

If you were going to pull him up for making intact two words, you should have checked your own post first. lol

Well what are the exact circumstances?

If we finish mid-table at the end of the season does Pearson get the sack?

If so who replaces him?

How much can we spend next year?

Do we have to watch Forest spend money and get promoted in the meantime?

What if we don't get promoted for the next 20 years? Is it still not worth a bit of risk then?

Voted no. If you accept it this year then you have to accept it every year until owners who are prepared to spend more than the Thais. Cant see that happening any time soon, so if you accept it this year you're accepting it for the forseeable future.

This thread does confirm my suspicion that a lot of our fans have simply given up on promotion under Pearson, in which case why is he still here?

As frustrating as it would be, yes I would.

This is why I'm a fan of Pearson's - he doesn't piss around with finances, he knows exactly what he's doing and he's always got it under control.

I'd rather have a long-term sustainable success that doesn't arrive within seconds, rather than a short-term honeymoon like Sven was aiming for that'll inevitably fvck us over when it's done.

Sadly we live in a football culture where short-termism is demanded by so many and I blame ticket prices personally.

As frustrating as it would be, yes I would.

This is why I'm a fan of Pearson's - he doesn't piss around with finances, he knows exactly what he's doing and he's always got it under control.

I'd rather have a long-term sustainable success that doesn't arrive within seconds, rather than a short-term honeymoon like Sven was aiming for that'll inevitably fvck us over when it's done.

Sadly we live in a football culture where short-termism is demanded by so many and I blame ticket prices personally.

True, I think a lot of the fun has been eroded from the game as far as supporters go, back in the day the results seemed less important I went for a laugh, cheap tickets, standing etc.......now with so much fun taken out of going to games fans only hope of enjoyment comes from promotions or playing the big teams.

Archived