Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

A true legend and arguably the most skilful LCFC player - Ever!

Banks was seemingly disowned by us and became a son of Stoke with a statue yet he won the World cup when playing for us.

I've suggest it before but we should have facially stone plagues fitted to the external walls of the stadium so we can 'remember' a lot more players.

Or a walk of fame . Something like this needs to be done.

We talk a lot about celebrating former players and managers, but nothing ever seems to come of it.

Maybe those on here who are interested could form some form of group and see what we can achieve.

I'm in . :thumbup:

Or a walk of fame . Something like this needs to be done.

We talk a lot about celebrating former players and managers, but nothing ever seems to come of it.

Maybe those on here who are interested could form some form of group and see what we can achieve.

I'm in . :thumbup:

We don't do anywhere near enough to remember the true greats our club has had.

According to that article the Directors have a Hall of Fame

Players’ Hall of Fame display in the Directors’ Lounge at the Stadium.

The fans have nothing, nice to know they care and where their priorities lay.

I think the foxes trust bought part of it to display somewhere.

They auctioned bits off for charity so unless you bought a piece the banner itself is now history

I'm sure they mentioned a museum. Probably thats directors only as well.

A museum has been talked about ever since the idea of a new stadium was proposed, they even collected loads of stuff from fans for it but it was stopped when we went into administration.

They then lost a lot of the stuff that was donated. Since then there's been regular mention of setting one up but nothing ever happens.

The cynic in me thinks that if they do eventually set it up it'll probably cost an arm and a leg to view it.

I'm not holding my breath.

Certainly in my life time.

Happy Birthday Davie Gibson

OS

In the latest of his ‘The Week in History’ blogs, Club Historian John Hutchinson recalls the career of one of the most gifted players in Leicester City’s history.

Seventy four years ago this week, on September 23rd 1938, one of Leicester City’s all- time great players, Davie Gibson, was born in the Scottish town of Winchburgh near Edinburgh.

Scottish international Davie was one of the most skilful midfield players ever to play for the Club. His wonderful skills entranced Leicester fans for nearly a decade. He played well over 300 games for Leicester, most of them in the old First Division. He also appeared in the 1963 and 1969 FA Cup Finals and won the League Cup in 1964 as well as appearing in the League Cup Final in1965.

twih-gibson-4-3-2280-391976.jpg

After playing in Scottish Junior Football Davie was signed by Leicester for £25000 from Hibernian in January 1962. He arrived at the Club in the same month as outside-left Mike Stringfellow, with whom he forged a legendary left-wing partnership during the halcyon days of the 1960s.

Davie told me recently that it was a signing that nearly didn’t happen.

“Leicester wanted to sign Motherwell’s Pat Quinn, an excellent footballer. He was an old fashioned inside-forward. He’d give the ball to you and then want it back. However, Leicester had just bought Stringy (Mike Stringfellow) and he’d never give the ball back. Because of this, coach Bert Johnson kept telling manager Matt Gillies ‘Quinn’s not the player for us’. So when they went up to Scotland to sign Quinn, they got rid of Bert by sending him to watch Celtic play Hibernian. Fate! I was playing. At half time Bert phoned up Gillies at Motherwell and said,‘Don’t sign Quinn. I’ve just seen the fella we’re looking for.’ So they brought me, purely to play with Stringy!

My first league game was against Fulham. We won 4-1. A wonderful start. I was still doing my National Service. I would get the night train from Edinburgh to Birmingham on Thursday and train with the team on Friday.

Soon after joining Leicester I was posted to Aden for about four weeks. I didn’t want to go, but the Military Police persuaded me! I was then sent to Hong Kong and Singapore to play for the British Army.

The army was good for me. I played for the British Army with First Division players. The top man was Jim Baxter (Rangers). He was the most arrogant footballer I ever came across. Playing with him changed my thinkingâ€.

Davie was de-mobbed from the army in August 1962 to become a full-time Leicester City player. He attributes much of his success to Leicester’s first team coach, Bert Johnson

“I loved Bert. He was a professor of football for me. He never stopped talking, but I was on his wavelength.

The 1962/63 season was my best season ever. That winter we won ten games on the trot. When we won at Blackpool in April we went to the top of the League. Then we beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final. We nearly won the Double. It was magical. We had a great system. The defence was superb. We thought that teams would never score against us. We broke very quickly. It’s amazing how McLintock and Cross switching positions during a game threw the other teams. Teams didn’t know who to mark. Liverpool scouts watched us and they copied us. They did exactly the same next season with Tommy Smith and Gordon Milne.

Mike Stringfellow was very brave. He got balls he had no right to. People would praise my passes but it wasn’t a good pass until Stringy caught it, although we did have a bit of telepathyâ€.

Davie went on to recall other highlights of his time at Filbert Street. These included scoring in both legs of the League Cup Final against Stoke City, one of the goals being an improbable header.

He really rated Frank McLintock as a player and as friend, and feels the team was never really the same after he left, as they missed his drive. “ He was inspirational..a winner!â€.

twih-gibson-4-3-3280-391974.jpg

Davie enjoyed playing with the prolific goal-scoring winger Jackie Sinclair in the mid 60s and was very disappointed when Derek Dougan left the club in 1967, for what were effectively disciplinary reasons.

Davie’s favourite goal, two days after his wedding in 1966, was a wedge shot popped over the head of Burnley goalkeeper Adam Blacklaw in a 5-1 win. One of his most memorable games was the famous victory over Manchester City in an FA Cup 4th round replay in 1968. With Leicester two goals down, Frank Large scored twice to inspire a famous 4-3 victory.

He was sorry when Matt Gillies and Bert Johnson left the Club in the 1968/9 season as they had both been such a great influence on him, but Davie finished the season playing another FA Cup Final when Leicester, soon to be relegated, lost 1-0 to Manchester City.

Davie played for Scotland seven times. His shirt from his first international in 1963, (an abandoned match against Austria when the referee stopped the game due to Austria’s indiscipline) and his caps against Wales (when he scored) and Ireland are on display on the main staircase at King Power Stadium. He was also in the Scotland team which beat Spain 6-2 in Madrid in 1963.

Davie has recently been included in a newly created Players’ Hall of Fame display in the Directors’ Lounge at the Stadium. It is highly unlikely that anybody anticipated this honour, or indeed his illustrious playing career, when Davie was born in Winchburgh seventy four years ago this week.

I trained with the club in those halcyon days and watched Gibbo on matchdays week in, week out and he was a true craftsman whose ball skills verged on genius. Even on those muddy pitches he'd often come off the pitch spotless he had such balance and control.

It was his vision and flighting of a pass that set him apart. He could quite literally drop the ball on a sixpence.

Times he'd flight a ball 30 yards over a defender to the onrushing Stringy and the guy wouldn't have to check his stride - the ball would have backspin and it was as if it were being drawn to his boot by magnetism.

No wonder the little Scot was sad to see the Doog go. I was too because Dougan was probably the best centre-forward i saw in a city shirt albeit for too short a time.

The bloke was as charismatic as he was talented - absolutely full of humour - and Gibbo had the ability to place a ball exactly where it was wanted. There was no hit and hope with the guy - everything was precision.

One of his countless party tricks party was to catch the ball on his toe. Some players have a job cushioning a high clearance from the goalkeeper but Gibbo could literally catch it on his toe and often demonstrated the skill by lofting the ball high in the air and letting it drop dead still on his upturned foot.

Modest and understated Gibbo gave credit to all around him but he was a vital cog in the best City team I ever saw in over 50 years - a team that topped the old first division, threatened to win the double and who regularly beat the very best in the land, including the legendary Liverpool sides.

No-one deserves a statue more. He gave so many people such pleasure and his skills helped write so many of the real legends of our club's history. My all-time hero without any doubt and there were some damned good options in those days.

Possible alternative statues:

1) Akinbiyi's shirtless celebration.

2) Beckford remonstrating at Peterborough

3) Stan Collymore letting a fire extinguisher off at La Manga

4) Paulo Sousa

First went Filbo as a starry eyed 6 year old 69/70 season you so don't remember Davie G enough to speak with any authority, do know he was highly rated and seems deservedly so.When you think about it we've had some real quality playersover the years and for the majority of them a selling club operating on a shoestring. That's why I suppose the negativity of a lot of fans bewilders me.Regarding managers MON just ahead of Jimmy Bloomfield for me and that poor bugger was hounded out for finishing 7th in the old first division :blush:

Regarding statues. I've always thought a silver fox on a stone plinth , with the words 'the whole world smiles with you', and situation on that little traffic island at the bottom of raw dykes road (near the scarf selling bloke) would look the mutts nuts.

Happy Birthday Dave Gibson, my old man raves about him.

On the tribute, Lineker would be ours surely, he came from this City and was top scorer in a World Cup, incredible achievement.

No chance of it though, with the politicians running our local council he'll probably lose out to a Keith Vaz statue in a few years.

*and regarding statues - I'm of a younger generation so will obviously regard this as more of an 'iconic' pose against some of the more seasoned posters, but this:

5124160_a84b81b96e_s.jpeg

(excuse photo resolution) is surely one of the most recognisable images in our history, let alone modern times? Would make an excellent statue.

*and regarding statues - I'm of a younger generation so will obviously regard this as more of an 'iconic' pose against some of the more seasoned posters, but this:

5124160_a84b81b96e_s.jpeg

(excuse photo resolution) is surely one of the most recognisable images in our history, let alone modern times? Would make an excellent statue.

Agreed that would make a great statue, definitely the most iconic LCFC picture.

Like you say though, it might not be as fitting if you're from a past or future generation. In 50 years will it still be significant?

Shocking that Stoke have a statue of Banks holding up the World Cup when he won it playing for us what a massive let down by those that were running LCFC at the time.

But then all our owners have lacked imagination and any real rapport with the fans and what they might want. We are totally devoid of Class!

Shocking that Stoke have statue of Banks holding up the World Cup when he won it playing for us what a massive let down by those that were running LCFC at the time.

But then all our owners have lacked imagination and any real rapport with the fans and what they might want. We are totally devoid of Class!

Time to change it then mate. If not for us then future generations of foxes.

Do you think i should email the club to see what they think?.

Time to change it then mate. If not for us then future generations of foxes.

Do you think i should email the club to see what they think?.

I think trying to piss in the wind would be more productive but feel free to do so expect plenty of platitudes and little progress though, we still have no museum that was promised.

Archived