Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Stars' Debuts

He actually played okay from what I remember, he looked quite tidy - probably the highlight of his LCFC career!

Zeljko "Spider" Kalac's debut springs to mind as a notable debut. I might be wrong but weren't we 2-0 up at HT against WBA at the Hawthorns when McGhee decided to sub Kevin Poole for ZK - at full time we'd lost 3-2 and conceded three terrible goals.

I am sure we were 3 nil up that day , and won 3-2 , his next game was Bolton at home in the cup and he was terrible then too , Kevin Poole back in after that

I am sure we were 3 nil up that day , and won 3-2 , his next game was Bolton at home in the cup and he was terrible then too , Kevin Poole back in after that

And didn't Kamaark get his injury that day that kept him out for quite a while

I remember Lineker's debut. New Year's Day. Absolutely freezing. A scrawny little kid called Lineker played out on the right wing. He never touched the ball in the first half. Didn't reappear after half-time ! We won 2-0. A young lad called Dave Buchanan stole all the headlines on what (I think) was HIS debut, too. He looked stunning and was the only name we were talking about that evening. Funny how life turns out, isn't it ?!

I was there too, in the kop,against Oldham, and as you say it was bloody freezing!

Bobby Smith made his debut that day too, after signing from Hibs, and scored one of the goals.

Lineker done nothing, but Buchanan who was only 16, scored and was fantastic on the day.

In fact Buchanan done really well for the rest of that season, and looked to be a star of the future, while Lineker faded back to the background for a while.

I think "It`s not God it`s only Andy Peake" made his debut the following saturday against Norwich in the cup.

The same day that Weller ("he is the king of filbert street") scored wearing a pair of tights.

Hardly in the mists of time but I won't forget Waggy and N'Guessan's debut in a hurry. We were absolutely shit in the first half and 1-0 down, these 2 came on at half time and completely changed the game. This short lad joggedon and I thought 'who?'. Seems funny saying it now but his touches were sublime and I was raving about him when I got home. Waggy really did look a Premiership talent that season, shame Dany only had 3 of those kind of performances in 18 months.

If I remember correctly , there was quite a buzz around the place when Alexander Forbes (Alan) Young made his debut.

I think he scored twice.

He epitomized that era for me :)

i remember that one , was it Andy Peake's debut too ?

my memory is a bit hazy

Think someone has beaten me to Andy peake being a tad later, but it was such an exciting time to be a City fan - young kids being thrown in at the deep-end every week. Even Bobby Smith looked a world-beater at times on that New Year's day game on his debut, too !

The Alan Young era was fabulous - was that double strike at home to Watford ? I was an ever-present home and away at that time and I think it might have been the third game of the season - when the tables used to get published - to take us top ??????? Bit hazy so apologies if I'm confused.

Think someone has beaten me to Andy peake being a tad later, but it was such an exciting time to be a City fan - young kids being thrown in at the deep-end every week. Even Bobby Smith looked a world-beater at times on that New Year's day game on his debut, too !

The Alan Young era was fabulous - was that double strike at home to Watford ? I was an ever-present home and away at that time and I think it might have been the third game of the season - when the tables used to get published - to take us top ??????? Bit hazy so apologies if I'm confused.

Youngys 2 goals were against Watford in the first league game of that season.

We started the season off though the week before, in the league cup against Rotherham, and lost 2-1 at home, (youngy scored our goal in that game too) and 3-0 away in the 2nd leg.

Your right that after our third game against QPR away, which we won 4-1, we were top of the league, in the first published league table of the season.

I remember Mark de Vries' debut in the FA Cup against Blackpool in 2005. We were awful that day, and Blackpool were a League One side at the time. I think Gareth Williams got a late equaliser for us and we won the replay with a Gudjonsson screamer. I remember waiting for de Vries to come on and immediately he did a Cruyff-turn past their right back and played a neat ball to Connolly for him to waste it. The rest of course, is history.

Also, even though I was 6, I was there for Colly's home debut. If only him and Heskey had a full season together. They looked superb together.

Best debut I remember was Steve Corica, had a weekend up north for opening day of the season away at Sunderland. 1995/96 season. Nobody had a clue who this Corica guy was or where he came from. Played a blinder and scored on his debut, we won 2-1 with Steve Agnew scoring for them and celebrating in front of us. Corica became an instant favourite of mine, was gutted when he went to wolves with McGhee, MON just about managed to make up for that.

I remember Tony James' debut. got man of the match. Seemed pretty solid at the back. Remember Neil Lewis breaking into the team too - had a bit of promise about him.. Also remember a big lump up front- Jari Rantenan making his debut. He was so big they couldnt find a pair of shorts to fit him. Ended up using an old pair of Bob Hazel's .

Collymores Debut was probably my favorite though....

Best debut I remember was Steve Corica, had a weekend up north for opening day of the season away at Sunderland. 1995/96 season. Nobody had a clue who this Corica guy was or where he came from. Played a blinder and scored on his debut, we won 2-1 with Steve Agnew scoring for them and celebrating in front of us. Corica became an instant favourite of mine, was gutted when he went to wolves with McGhee, MON just about managed to make up for that.

Was that like a 40 yarder that bounced on the 6 yard line, or am i thinking of another one of his belters?

Iwan Roberts debut against Wolves,scored 2 and missed a sitter on the goal line for his hatrick

I remember this well. I also remember him missing a similar sitter against Manchester City in a goalless FA Cup game a couple of years later. We could have done with him putting it away, because Georgi Kinkladze tore us apart as City beat us 5-0 at Maine Road in the replay. We were laughing in the end mind; we went up whilst they were relegated from the top flight and went on to play in Europe while they squeaked out of the third tier. Funny how things change.

Hardly in the mists of time but I won't forget Waggy and N'Guessan's debut in a hurry. We were absolutely shit in the first half and 1-0 down, these 2 came on at half time and completely changed the game. This short lad joggedon and I thought 'who?'. Seems funny saying it now but his touches were sublime and I was raving about him when I got home. Waggy really did look a Premiership talent that season, shame Dany only had 3 of those kind of performances in 18 months.

When we were away at Watford that season, I had a couple of blokes sitting behind me moaning about how they looked great on the first day and had done nothing since (the mood wasn't helped after throwing away a 2-0 lead at half time and losing 3-2). Anyway, cue the 90th minure, Waggy puts in a great cross and N'Guessan bulleted his header past the keeper in the top corner! Was a weird game that.

Youngys 2 goals were against Watford in the first league game of that season.

We started the season off though the week before, in the league cup against Rotherham, and lost 2-1 at home, (youngy scored our goal in that game too) and 3-0 away in the 2nd leg.

Your right that after our third game against QPR away, which we won 4-1, we were top of the league, in the first published league table of the season.

if you remembered that without Prof Google then that is awesome recollection. Well done, Sir !

if you remembered that without Prof Google then that is awesome recollection. Well done, Sir !

Yep, it was one of my favourite seasons.

I loved watching us under Jock Wallace, we were not the best footballing side in the world, but full of heart and desire.

We also had a pre season tour of sweden before that season started, and was unbeaten, beating some swedish team 13-1, with youngy scoring 6!

Yep, it was one of my favourite seasons.

I loved watching us under Jock Wallace, we were not the best footballing side in the world, but full of heart and desire.

We also had a pre season tour of sweden before that season started, and was unbeaten, beating some swedish team 13-1, with youngy scoring 6!

The Jock Wallace time was when I first started supporting the City. To be honest I can't really recollect it much it's all a bit of a blur.

Wallace was a real tough cookie though I remember.

The Jock Wallace time was when I first started supporting the City. To be honest I can't really recollect it much it's all a bit of a blur.

Wallace was a real tough cookie though I remember.

Yeah he always came across like you wouldn`t want to get on the wrong side of him, but the players always seemed like they would walk through walls for him.

I was gutted when he left.

Then we had Gordon Milne as manager who seemed the total opposite to Wallace, but he actually done really well, got us promoted, and kept us up.

I remember Tony James' debut. got man of the match. Seemed pretty solid at the back. Remember Neil Lewis breaking into the team too - had a bit of promise about him.. Also remember a big lump up front- Jari Rantenan making his debut. He was so big they couldnt find a pair of shorts to fit him. Ended up using an old pair of Bob Hazel's .

Collymores Debut was probably my favorite though....

I might be wrong but I think Mike Newell made his debut the same day. We won 4-1 & they both scored but it was ages ago so I may be wrong

Archived