Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Stars' Debuts

Would be nice to hear some stories from some of the older members on here about witnessing the debuts of some of our finest players, mainly 60s to 80s with the likes of Linekar, Peake, Weller etc, but also more recently like the first appearance of Izzet, Lennon or Heskey etc.

What were your thoughts on their first appearance, and did you think they'd go on to be so successful for us?

Correct me if I'm wrong,but was Collymores home debut a hat trick against Sunderland.i sometimes thought that man could do anything on his day,wasn't with us for long but when he got the ball you felt he could turn a game.

I was there. :thumbup:

Big old mark Blake I think we signed him from Portsmouth and his first game at home was against them, he wasn't the most exciting player in fact you hardly noticed him at all. Mark draper was a class act though debut against Newcastle lost 1-3 but he looked head and shoulders above any other city player that day

I remember Lineker's debut. New Year's Day. Absolutely freezing. A scrawny little kid called Lineker played out on the right wing. He never touched the ball in the first half. Didn't reappear after half-time ! We won 2-0. A young lad called Dave Buchanan stole all the headlines on what (I think) was HIS debut, too. He looked stunning and was the only name we were talking about that evening. Funny how life turns out, isn't it ?!

I remember Lineker's debut. New Year's Day. Absolutely freezing. A scrawny little kid called Lineker played out on the right wing. He never touched the ball in the first half. Didn't reappear after half-time ! We won 2-0. A young lad called Dave Buchanan stole all the headlines on what (I think) was HIS debut, too. He looked stunning and was the only name we were talking about that evening. Funny how life turns out, isn't it ?!

i remember that one , was it Andy Peake's debut too ?

my memory is a bit hazy

just remembered mark bright scoring 2 against everton on the opening day of the season on a sunny day i was in the dd stand for that one,i think everton won the league the previous season now that was an impressive debut.

just remembered mark bright scoring 2 against everton on the opening day of the season on a sunny day i was in the dd stand for that one,i think everton won the league the previous season now that was an impressive debut.

oh yes , wasn't Lineker playing his first for Everton that day too ?

I was there that night with my dad and i never knew linekar even played , we were both excited by Buchanan , wonder what happened to him .

I remember the first time junior Lewis played for us, what a day.

He actually played okay from what I remember, he looked quite tidy - probably the highlight of his LCFC career!

Zeljko "Spider" Kalac's debut springs to mind as a notable debut. I might be wrong but weren't we 2-0 up at HT against WBA at the Hawthorns when McGhee decided to sub Kevin Poole for ZK - at full time we'd lost 3-2 and conceded three terrible goals.

Archived