Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danny the Fox 95

Home Atmopshere vs Brighton

Guest BlueBrett

I think it's arguably more difficult to create atmosphere now that we are at the top of the table because the fact that we have something to lose generates nervousness - particularly when the game pans out like it did last night.

It would be great if we could just support the lads boisterously irrespective of whether we are doing well or poorly in the league but unfortunately that mentality is hard to come by and even harder to maintain.

Don't think league position really counts, I remember Sheff wednesday in our relegation season and the atmosphere was great then for large parts. I want to sing but I find it much easier and have a higher will to sing when I stand and even at the back of SK3 last night people were sitting behind me so I could not stand so singing was frustrating and awkward. There are people that do try so there is hope

I was sat in SK1 and went to the game with a Canadian and an American for their first taste of a city game! Both said the atmosphere was electric but thought the team performance was a bit flat!! They were sat next to me and my lot tho and were a noisy bunch!!

Of course it's a problem, that's what the enjoyment of going to the football is.

I'm disappointed I haven't been able to watch us much this season but much less so when I hear reviews on the atmosphere like last night's.

We're top of the league now - but lets say we get promoted, we won't be top of the Premier League. So if we're lying midtable, where's my enjoyment going to come from if our fans are depressingly quiet?

There was me thinking people went to the football to watch the team they love do well. I'll have to turn my back on the game and bring my song book on saturday, sure i'll enjoy it loads more.

The atmosphere has been a lot worse than it is now in recent seasons, people are over reacting.

There was me thinking people went to the football to watch the team they love do well. I'll have to turn my back on the game and bring my song book on saturday, sure i'll enjoy it loads more.

The atmosphere has been a lot worse than it is now in recent seasons, people are over reacting.

Whether people are overreacting I don't know, I wasn't there last night (though it sounded quiet after the first 20 minutes on the radio).

But saying the atmosphere isn't important if we're top is bollocks. I hate to break it to you but we're never going to do that 'well', we're never going to be hugely successful. But I'd be happy with us being an average top division team, going on the occassional cup run and most importantly creating a good atmosphere home and away with good numbers.

I can't be proud of a soulless club just because the team is doing OK. If I was turning up week in week out and the atmosphere was dead I'd see no point in going, especially at the prices these days.

Whether people are overreacting I don't know, I wasn't there last night (though it sounded quiet after the first 20 minutes on the radio).

But saying the atmosphere isn't important if we're top is bollocks. I hate to break it to you but we're never going to do that 'well', we're never going to be hugely successful. But I'd be happy with us being an average top division team, going on the occassional cup run and most importantly creating a good atmosphere home and away with good numbers.

I can't be proud of a soulless club just because the team is doing OK. If I was turning up week in week out and the atmosphere was dead I'd see no point in going, especially at the prices these days.

If you can find me a single club in this division or outside the top ten in the premiership that has a level of atmosphere on par with filbert street i'll give you a medal.

Don't get me wrong i love the songs and that as much as anybody else, but this knee jerk that we all of a sudden have the worst support in the country is foolish.

If you can find me a single club in this division or outside the top ten in the premiership that has a level of atmosphere on par with filbert street i'll give you a medal.

Don't get me wrong i love the songs and that as much as anybody else, but this knee jerk that we all of a sudden have the worst support in the country is foolish.

I agree, I think people are way too harsh on our support at times.

Then again I have been to some games where it's been absolutely dreadful, there were too many of them last season.

We should always be trying to improve the atmosphere, it could certainly be a lot better more often.

Like I said in the other thread , first 15 minutes it was proper electric and to the side of us it looked great with the scarves etc.. and you lot looked to be boosted by it .

and when the game settled and the ground went quieter the game went flat, make of that what you will.

Just an outsiders opinion like.

Like I said in the other thread , first 15 minutes it was proper electric and to the side of us it looked great with the scarves etc.. and you lot looked to be boosted by it .

and when the game settled and the ground went quieter the game went flat, make of that what you will.

:thumbup:

It's pretty obvious to me than when we feel in control, or the game is boring we get lazy. There's no doubt we can create a great atmosphere at home, I've seen it numerous times, but too often we lack the effort.

I get the impression we need a bit of drama to get going.

I think other then Leeds last season you and Southampton were the loudest fans to visit the KP.

I think other then Leeds last season you and Southampton were the loudest fans to visit the KP.

I never heard them sing apart from the last 5 mins. Swindon, Leeds and Southampton were the loudest I think.

Exactly. How can away fans grasp this in 90mins but we cant grasp it after 6 games. Maybe our lot turn a blind eye or are maybe only interested in swirling scarves. Or maybe they just think we are That good.

If you care what i think i thought you were vocally quality last night

Exactly. How can away fans grasp this in 90mins but we cant grasp it after 6 games. Maybe our lot turn a blind eye or are maybe only interested in swirling scarves. Or maybe they just think we are That good.

If you care what i think i thought you were vocally quality last night

Don't forget we enjoyed one of our most successful spells ever during the MON years and that helped the Filbo atmosphere massively. Nothing at the KP has come close.

There was plenty of "library" moments at Filbo as well, including some of the bigger games, let's keep a check on reality before we get too carried away with the good old days.

It's October, me, I'm buzzing with being top but I understand the point of view that there is a long way to go and folk don't feel it yet.

The double decker helped the filbo acoustics as well, I don't think L/K are that far behind, just sounds weaker because its a more open area.

There were some quality moments of atmosphere last night but we're all a bit nervous because s couple of bad results and we'll drop like stones.

When thr team needed us we were there, thinking about the penalty, if we'd have scored another I think the atmosphere would have been loads better.

Some of you need to chill, COYB!

People just don't make the effort to sing really.

At the bottom part of L1 where I am, hardly anyone makes a peep. They just groan and moan when we do something wrong.

At least I've heard the Kop and the family stand singing from where I am the last few games.

We're really quite loud when we get going, we just don't get going often enough.

It'll come gradually.

From my experience you are one of the only clubs that successfully use a drum to enhance the atmosphere BUT it also seemed like you were very reliant on it. Our support was very poor last night. Also fair play to who ever started "ran from the women" and the jimmy savile chants, a nice change to hear some new songs, made me laugh :giggle:

I've been unable to attend since the first game v Posh because of where I live nowadays but am looking forward to the Palace game on Saturday, which I'll be up there for and hope the atmosphere is better than as described here against the Seagulls! I suppose the atmosphere's always going to be tense though when there's only a one goal lead to defend for most of the game, esp. as we saved a pen. too! I wonder if the Mexican Wave has been going on for any of this season??

What does 30000 at the game got to do with vocal support.

I sit right next to the away fans and yes there were only 2 or 300 but they were taking the piss out of our support the whole game and for someone who has witnessed and been part of some great atmospheres over the years it was just a bit hard to take.

Trust me we will be an even bigger laughing stock next season.

We wont the support isalways much greater when we are not expected to win . Whilst unreasonable we are alwaysexpected to win at home in the championship the possible exception Leeds when the atmosphere is good

No Mexican wave and to be honest I'm glad.

You only get them if the game is boring as it's a distraction to what is happening on the pitch.

On the contrary to the games I've been to re the Mexican wave , esp. towards the end of the Championships play off season of 2009-10 season under Pearson phase one - and of course when we won League One the season before in 2009. Also I liked the simplistic but loud "we're the left side over here", etc chanting - which was always quite atmospheric too I often found, around that same time! Maybe the chants have "moved on" a bit since then, three seasons on - although it doesn't sound much like it reading people's comments on here, more like they've "moved onto" that of a morgue, Jobber's drum apart! The opening game v Peterborough that I last went to was good atmosphere though, early season optimism and all that. Weird at how we're now top yet the atmosphere has been waning in the most recent weeks! Maybe that's where everybody expects us to be and therefore the chanting and general excitement has dried up because of it....?? As said by others on here too though, when the atmosphere is tense because we're holding on to a lead or whatever then I guess this affects the level of chanting as everybody is busy concentrating on the game.....maybe!

Crowd wasnt that bad last night but not great either. I am in the family and for once I heard the kop on quite a few occasions - now that's a first for me in a long time. L1 was a little quieter though.

we have to accept that we won't get the glory days of home atmosphere that we enjoyed in teh 80's and early nineties. why?

1. acoustics at Filbert Street were 10 times better.

2. at Filbo you could virtually reach out and touch the players

3. standing - if we had unreserved seating that a lot more of us could sit next to our mates. people that want to sing and stand could do so and those that want to avoid bad language can up seats and move elsewhere. Club won't do that though owing to accountability and anonymity of peole by moving around.

BTW - OWYS should be sung slower just like those lads in the boozer. only thing they got wrong was the end when it's "Na na na na na" with the hand movement not "aaararghhh". Classic song and it's our anthem!

No Mexican wave and to be honest I'm glad.

You only get them if the game is boring as it's a distraction to what is happening on the pitch.

I was in the family stand and a couple of families with a about 7 or 8 kids to my right kept trying to get one started. I generally hate Mexican waves, but starting one when you're only one goal up is just asking for trouble.

I think we, like the majority of clubs in this country, have an atmosphere that is dependent on what is happening on the pitch.

If things are going well and we're on top in a game then people will sing and cheer and clap etc. There were periods last night when the atmosphere was great (like the first 20 mins).

But when, as was the case for long periods yesterday, we're struggling to get our foot on the ball and Brighton were dominating possession then it does go quiet.

Obviously that isn't an ideal scenario to have and in a perfect world people would sing for 90 minutes win, lose or draw. But I don't feel it's something we should beat ourselves up about since it's a problem faced by most teams in this division.

Archived