Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danny the Fox 95

Home Atmopshere vs Brighton

Just out of interest why do they find it cringe worthy ?

Just out of interest why do they find it cringe worthy ?

Going to try to answer that as best I can without trying to alienate or offend anyone.

It's mainly the older guys I know, I'm 33 but used to attend games with an older relative of mine, when I was 11/12, he is now approaching 50. I used to meet up with a bunch of guys traveling up to Leicester for home games, they are of the generation before the premier league, before families attended on mass.

Not saying they a thugs or anything, but I think they see the fact the fans adopted this whole blue army thing, as coined and used by the mercury as when football started to cross over into the mainstream, they see it as when the game they loved started to change, remember it was the working mans game and working men didn't get pushed around or told what to do, they followed the club but in no way really saw themselves as associated with the media or the club apart from supporting it up and down the country.

The younger generation and families taking on this mantra of the blue army around the brian little play-off era when it came from a media publication just didn't fit with a lot of them.They preferred the more original Leicester songs or something that was a bit more organic in it's origin, in way the same debate that is going on now in a different form, over, do we just want an atmosphere to be proud of, or does the fact that we seem to be coping every other clubs songs and the poznan etc, detract from what L1 and others are trying to do.

Not sure if I have got my point across here, I'm not trying to play devils advocate I'm just taking my own experience of people I attend games with and still see on a regular basis and have always got the impression a lot of people don't like it. Maybe it is just a small percentage but it's the percentage I know.

Strangely our home fans seem to be at their best when we're facing relegation. I'll never forget games when they sang virtually from start to finish when our backs were to the wall. Unfortunately it must be an underdog thing - because we're just not the same when we're winning...not at the King Power.

It's almost as if we don't know how to react - or are afraid to generate a mood of celebration in case it all goes wrong. It's a mood that can be felt among posters on here sometimes - as they imagine all sorts of daft things that might end our run of good form.

Worse though is the fact that everything done in this best practice, canned football, health and safety mad era is done to negate emotions and neutralise the generating of atmosphere.

The souless concourses, the pre-match music, the massive security presence, the lack of standing, the safety gap between opposing fans, the "plaintiff is right" philosophy and the relentless sanitising of everything that might generate emotion means it really is hard to build any sort of atmosphere.

Players are discouraged from celebrating in front of the fans, the endless stoppages help to subdue feelings, the 15 minute half-time break is a pre-conceived cooling-off tactic, the lack of controversial playbacks on the video screens - all these things are connected and they all have one main purpose - to stifle atmosphere.

I can't see it changing.

That's a great post, Thracian.

Until our fans begin to get organised (I don't mean like the Fosse Boys, but an area like L1/K1 in the Kop would help) we will never be able to change the way the club, and relevant authorities, want us to 'enjoy' football.

Am I right in saying we have supporters clubs/trusts? What is the point in them? Do they do anything other than lay on coaches and make ridiculous suggestions when we need a new manager?

We should have a fan club that is started completely independent of the club, one that will only liaise with the club when it has sufficient power to withstand anything the club throws at them. IMO the Fosse Boys tried dealing with the club when it was too small, allowing the powers that be to crush the group at the very first sign of ground regulation incompliance.

For me, the atmosphere at Filbert Way would improve immeasurably if we had a fan club that recruited L/K and anyone who wanted to sing/stand in the Kop, and did the following:

- designate an area in the Kop to be a mini-L1. Probably sparsely populated corner of SK1. May require a few of L1/K1 to move over. For the record, the reasons why I think there needs to be two areas with singing is to ensure the noise goes the whole way around the ground, and L1 is ST only.

- have one drummer/'capo' who never lets the area shut up (but doesn't over do the drum!)

- charged a very small membership fee, collected on the first day of the season, perhaps, that would fund a number of visual displays/get donated to charity.

This doesn't have to be an 'Ultras' group. The concept is fairly alien to British football but fan clubs should not be. I honestly believe it would work so long as there was 100ish takers to begin with.

Any volunteers? Suggestions?

That's a great post, Thracian.

Until our fans begin to get organised (I don't mean like the Fosse Boys, but an area like L1/K1 in the Kop would help) we will never be able to change the way the club, and relevant authorities, want us to 'enjoy' football.

Am I right in saying we have supporters clubs/trusts? What is the point in them? Do they do anything other than lay on coaches and make ridiculous suggestions when we need a new manager?

We should have a fan club that is started completely independent of the club, one that will only liaise with the club when it has sufficient power to withstand anything the club throws at them. IMO the Fosse Boys tried dealing with the club when it was too small, allowing the powers that be to crush the group at the very first sign of ground regulation incompliance.

For me, the atmosphere at Filbert Way would improve immeasurably if we had a fan club that recruited L/K and anyone who wanted to sing/stand in the Kop, and did the following:

- designate an area in the Kop to be a mini-L1. Probably sparsely populated corner of SK1. May require a few of L1/K1 to move over. For the record, the reasons why I think there needs to be two areas with singing is to ensure the noise goes the whole way around the ground, and L1 is ST only.

- have one drummer/'capo' who never lets the area shut up (but doesn't over do the drum!)

- charged a very small membership fee, collected on the first day of the season, perhaps, that would fund a number of visual displays/get donated to charity.

This doesn't have to be an 'Ultras' group. The concept is fairly alien to British football but fan clubs should not be. I honestly believe it would work so long as there was 100ish takers to begin with.

Any volunteers? Suggestions?

People aren't going to move. We've got a decent singing section (comparatively to a lot of other home grounds) and people like it there, partly because it's near the away fans.

The only way the Kop is going to be a proper Kop now is if standing comes back and it's made a standing area. Which won't be happening in the near future.

Time to forget about the Kop. We haven't got enough singers (for the moment at least) to have two effective singing sections at opposite ends of the ground.

You say it wouldn't be like the Fosse Boys but it would fail as miserably if you tried the same tactics.

I think some are underestimating the extent of the club's hostility towards people trying to create what most on here would recognise as a good atmosphere.

What the club wants is an anodyne, family friendly atmosphere that appeals to middle class families, not the traditional working class young male who creates a visceral atmosphere.

All of the things connected with the latter such as standing, sweary chants and insane goal celebrations will be clamped down upon severely. The atmosphere is coming away from home sadly.

Yeah you're right, no point in trying to improve atmosphere. Much prefer moaning about it each week. The prevailing attitude of fans in this country is fvcking appalling to be honest.

What tactics were employed by the Fosse Boys? Like I said, this isn't something that can happen immediately, and it would rely on some serious organisation. Whether that is possible does I admit remain unlikely, but it needs to happen some day else we'll be watching football in seat belts in a decade.

I think some are underestimating the extent of the club's hostility towards people trying to create what most on here would recognise as a good atmosphere.

What the club wants is an anodyne, family friendly atmosphere that appeals to middle class families, not the traditional working class young male who creates a visceral atmosphere.

All of the things connected with the latter such as standing, sweary chants and insane goal celebrations will be clamped down upon severely. The atmosphere is coming away from home sadly.

I'm not underestimating it at all mate. I was there in N block and I witnessed what happened to the Fosse Boys from SK1.

It is clear as day what the clowns at the club think about 16-30s at the ground but I'm not suggesting a group of half a dozen move to a particular area and hope that others join, I'm talking about a concerted effort behind the scenes to drum up enough support that the club would find it difficult to remove 100+ fans.

As improbable as it sounds I can't think of a better plan, sadly.

I'm not saying there's no point, just that the club will fight massively any attempts to improve atmosphere and it'll be very hard work indeed to spread it.

I would argue it's best to stick to where they can't control it, L1 and K1, because anywhere else would need similar numbers to spread the atmosphere. You'd need far more than a few dozen people in the Kop to create anything substantial, FBs definitely learned that. Tactically, mistakes were definitely made by the Fosse Boys and I think everybody involved would admit to that but ultimately it came down to numbers, there just weren't enough lads involved.

Numbers is definitely a more important factor than tactics, look at L Block. There are no tactics at all there, everybody just stands up without thinking about it. It's the fact that Barclay doesn't have the manpower to make thousands of people who want to stand sit down that makes L1 work, not any one leader.

The problem is that fans in this country are way too passive, we just accept whatever shit gets thrown at us. That's not just us, it's most fanbases in the country barring the more hardline fans.

Yeah you're right, no point in trying to improve atmosphere. Much prefer moaning about it each week. The prevailing attitude of fans in this country is fvcking appalling to be honest.

What tactics were employed by the Fosse Boys? Like I said, this isn't something that can happen immediately, and it would rely on some serious organisation. Whether that is possible does I admit remain unlikely, but it needs to happen some day else we'll be watching football in seat belts in a decade.

Yeh because that's what I said. Funny that Thrac's post appealed to you so much considering his was more defeatist than mine.

We can try and improve the atmosphere but trying to move people from the East Stand to the Kop is not the way to do it. I understand their reasons for doing it, but that was never going to work when the Fosse Boys did it that way (they were in the corner between the Kop and the East Stand if you remember). They just didn't have the numbers. If you think you're going to get 100+ (and it would have to be far more than that) to move over there you've got another thing coming.

The best way to realistically improve the atmosphere is for people to get pissed and just start singing. If enough people just put the physical effort in to sing a variety of songs all this organised stuff isn't necessary.

A fans group not affiliated with the club is a good idea, but its not going to change the atmosphere. That would be more useful for protests and complaints about the way certain types of fans (namely the ones who want an atmosphere) are being treated. If these fans can get some influence, maybe in time some important things could change.

If only we could get a spokesperson or someone high up in the club who spoke for the real supporters - someone who believed in creating an atmosphere, bringing back safe-standing etc, I think that is the best thing that could happen to the club.

I'm not saying there's no point, just that the club will fight massively any attempts to improve atmosphere and it'll be very hard work indeed to spread it.

I would argue it's best to stick to where they can't control it, L1 and K1, because anywhere else would need similar numbers to spread the atmosphere. You'd need far more than a few dozen people in the Kop to create anything substantial, FBs definitely learned that. Tactically, mistakes were definitely made by the Fosse Boys and I think everybody involved would admit to that but ultimately it came down to numbers, there just weren't enough lads involved.

Numbers is definitely a more important factor than tactics, look at L Block. There are no tactics at all there, everybody just stands up without thinking about it. It's the fact that Barclay doesn't have the manpower to make thousands of people who want to stand sit down that makes L1 work, not any one leader.

The problem is that fans in this country are way too passive, we just accept whatever shit gets thrown at us. That's not just us, it's most fanbases in the country barring the more hardline fans.

I should point out, the tactics I was on about was setting up near the Kop, as opposed to a bit nearer the current singing section, if the idea was to spread it. :thumbup:

I can see why you set up there but in hindsight it was never really going to work. As you say, you just couldn't attract enough numbers. People are set in their ways and in fairness, it's not like it's the people who want to sing are the issue, so moving them to another area of the ground doesn't really achieve much IMO. Though it's true, when the club is completely against you you've got no chance anyway.

If you want to spread the atmosphere you have to create some some of chain/domino effect - if you're going to have to singing sections they'd need to either be either side of the away fans or with a smaller gap between them so that the people in the middle would get caught up in it.

That is, of course, unless we had safe-standing areas in two different parts of the ground. If the whole of the Kop and L and K were standing I'd wager we'd have a great home atmosphere.

Yeh because that's what I said. Funny that Thrac's post appealed to you so much considering his was more defeatist than mine.

We can try and improve the atmosphere but trying to move people from the East Stand to the Kop is not the way to do it. I understand their reasons for doing it, but that was never going to work when the Fosse Boys did it that way (they were in the corner between the Kop and the East Stand if you remember). They just didn't have the numbers. If you think you're going to get 100+ (and it would have to be far more than that) to move over there you've got another thing coming.

The best way to realistically improve the atmosphere is for people to get pissed and just start singing. If enough people just put the physical effort in to sing a variety of songs all this organised stuff isn't necessary.

A fans group not affiliated with the club is a good idea, but its not going to change the atmosphere. That would be more useful for protests and complaints about the way certain types of fans (namely the ones who want an atmosphere) are being treated. If these fans can get some influence, maybe in time some important things could change.

If only we could get a spokesperson or someone high up in the club who spoke for the real supporters - someone who believed in creating an atmosphere, bringing back safe-standing etc, I think that is the best thing that could happen to the club.

So true.

I sit in the East stand and tbh the ground looked no fuller than normal (maybe the east stand is where the tickets sold?). The family stand was surprisingly thin.

Vocally it was poor tonight although it always is midweek. Tuesday nights are wank.

One word 'Drum' you only sing when he bangs it. The reason why the atmosphere has diminished over the past 6 or 7 years 'Drum'. Everyone is waiting for him to bang his bloody drum. L block you are an absolute embarrassment . At boro a couple of weeks ago there were 20 boro lads singing their little hearts out the whole game they made more noise than 25000 today. Yes I know football fans are not what they used to be and yes I know many years ago we were considered some of the noisiest fans in the country but tonight showed that we are an absolute joke when it comes to noise. May be the digital age teens and 20somethings vent their passion for their club on forums now.

Mind you, you cant be to opinionated because they take your threads off.

Get rid of the bloody drum, the big drummer boy with his own special place provided by the club and his own little drum sticks and sing a song or 2

I am 41 now and I think it's fair to say most of you will disagree with me because (1) you are thick (2) you are too young to know what a good atmosphere is (3) you have no passion for anything other than your x box (4) you were probably playing with your phone during the game checking out champions league result (yes you know it)

By the way, well done the 11 players on the pitch a workmanlike performance today after Saturday's flair.

One word 'Drum' you only sing when he bangs it. The reason why the atmosphere has diminished over the past 6 or 7 years 'Drum'. Everyone is waiting for him to bang his bloody drum. L block you are an absolute embarrassment . At boro a couple of weeks ago there were 20 boro lads singing their little hearts out the whole game they made more noise than 25000 today. Yes I know football fans are not what they used to be and yes I know many years ago we were considered some of the noisiest fans in the country but tonight showed that we are an absolute joke when it comes to noise. May be the digital age teens and 20somethings vent their passion for their club on forums now.

Get rid of the bloody drum, the big drummer boy with his own special place provided by the club and his own little drum sticks and sing a song or 2

I am 41 now and I think it's fair to say most of you will disagree with me because (1) you are thick (2) you are too young to know what a good atmosphere is (3) you have no passion for anything other than your x box (4) you were probably playing with your phone during the game checking out champions league result (yes you know it)

By the way, well done the 11 players on the pitch a workmanlike performance today after Saturday's flair.

I think you are right, the drum was brought in to try and help create atmosphere, It did it's job. But it has also now stifled anything natural. People can't function without it and seem lost without a beat.

Scrap the bloody music, scrap the drum and just go back to people singing and celebrating on their own.

At least they fookin try! The K/L block is the only atmosphere we have got. Yes, atmosphere is different nowadays, but we are at a modern stadium now where it is much more difficult to generate atmosphere than Filbert Street. I'm sure everyone wants the atmosphere to improve but it is harder than you think! Anyway well done lads, we're top of the league!

I am concerned for Saturday. It could be embarrassing with Palace bringing a decent following. It was very poor tonight. I was surrounded by hundreds of cheap ticket silent fans. Tried my best but just couldn't get them going. Even L1 were quiet.

Archived