Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Lloyd Dyer

Couldn't agree more. Dyer is a wonderful asset and particularly to the side we have at present. He's an individual who's professional enough to put the team first and do what is asked of him.

Give him the ball in attack and he'll try all sorts to make things happen. Defensively he does the simple things and tries to retain possession. As for his final ball there's rarely a game when he doesn't create significant opportunities and, if anything, he suffers because no-one else quite has the pace to be there quickly enough to take advantage of the chances he makes.

Other times he suffers because we lack a near-post attacker and a genuine aerial threat. But there's no doubting Dyer puts the ball where it can and should hurt the opposition. Yes, I'd like to see him stay more balanced on the ball when he shoots but at least he takes responsibility for having a shot and sometimes they come off.

Whether in the team or on the bench he's never less than a credit to himself, to our club and to his profession. I've nothing but admiration for him.

100% agree - never thought I'd ever say that.

He has another 3 years on a reasonably lucrative contract which was handed to him by Sousa, he won't be going anywhere.

His effort is beyond reproach.

You realise this article is from around 18 months ago when he was practically out of the door?!

Doesn't really matter if he's predictable or not, he gets by his man nearly every time. Always been a fan of Lloyd, wears his heart on his sleeve and I think hes one of the best wingers in the league.

He's not one of the best there are plenty better than him, but he is still a great player and a nightmare to mark

The man has his limitations but I just love the fact that when he get's the ball you never really know what's going to happen. Is he going to skin three players and put a "cross" in or is he going to run straight out of play and give the ball away? Nobody knows, not even Lloyd. For that reason I love him. He entertains me and reminds me that sometimes it's not just about the result.

He also has more assists than Lloyd (3 v 2), as does Ben Marshall.

Suggesting he lacks technique is a nonsense. Last time out he dinked two perfect balls into the edge of the six-yard box and we failed to capitalise. I've counted five low crosses of his that have fizzed across the same area with a team-mate literally inches from making contact into a gaping goal.

It really is a pity you don't have to mark him.

You'd have close-up respect for his technique even at a pace no-one else in the team gets close to. What we need and have needed for years is an instinctive goalscorer. We've got two decent marksmen but no-one to sniff out the momentary chances.

Suggesting he lacks technique is a nonsense. Last time out he dinked two perfect balls into the edge of the six-yard box and we failed to capitalise. I've counted five low crosses of his that have fizzed across the same area with a team-mate literally inches from making contact into a gaping goal.

You'd have close-up respect for his technique even at a pace no-one else in the team gets close to. What we need and have needed for years is an instinctive goalscorer. We've got two decent marksmen but no-one to sniff out the momentary chances.

:appl:

I thought this might be Vardy, Thrac?

It still could well be.

His 'technique' is get 12 yards out, knock it 10 yards past, sprint, cross badly. He doesn't 'dribble', he doesn't keep the ball close whilst running with it, he runs slowly, gets 12 yards out, and knocks it and sprints.

If his amazing fizzing crosses were so amazing I'd have thought that after 4 years someone on the coaching staff might have pointed out to our strike force that they needed to make near post runs. The fact that they don't tells me perhaps Lloyd just aimlessly swings his leg at the ball and hopes for the best.

Still, you cannot fault his effort and he has a reasonably lucrative contract given to him by Sousa.

His 'technique' is get 12 yards out, knock it 10 yards past, sprint, cross badly. He doesn't 'dribble', he doesn't keep the ball close whilst running with it, he runs slowly, gets 12 yards out, and knocks it and sprints.

If his amazing fizzing crosses were so amazing I'd have thought that after 4 years someone on the coaching staff might have pointed out to our strike force that they needed to make near post runs. The fact that they don't tells me perhaps Lloyd just aimlessly swings his leg at the ball and hopes for the best.

Still, you cannot fault his effort and he has a reasonably lucrative contract given to him by Sousa.

It's called kick and run, along with his poor finishing.

Lets just hope he continues to play well for the rest of the season and find the net a few times as with out a 20 goal striker we will need it, if we are to keep up the standard we have set.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting after looking at the player ratings thread - some say Dyer was brilliant with everything going through him, some not as generous but his score ranging from 7-9 / 10.

Before the mud starts slinging, I'd state that this season he has earned his place in the side on merit but.............here's how it seems to me:

1. He runs just a little slower than Usain Bolt but any sort of a product is lacking in terms of passing and shooting.

2. His movement going forward and tracking back is fantastic - this is where he earns his place

3. His shooting is eratic and not really defineable - Shot? Cross? - or 'Dangerous Ball' - His goal yesterday (The defenders goal) is a good example, was it going in? Would Nugent have got there? What was it?

4. Crossing is woeful and he doesn't really attempt to cross the ball in the air any more - to make up for this he plays with the ball at his feet and drives forward from the flag which goes nowhere but does win corners and draw defenders.

5. His passing is great as long as its a ten yard pass back up the line at less than a 60 degree angle when he's hit the byline and run out of headless chicken.

Gotta love Llyod but his fitness is what keeps him in the squad. As he ages he'll drop off dramatically - certainly will never cut it, if we go up.

Interesting after looking at the player ratings thread - some say Dyer was brilliant with everything going through him, some not as generous but his score ranging from 7-9 / 10.

Before the mud starts slinging, I'd state that this season he has earned his place in the side on merit but.............here's how it seems to me:

1. He runs just a little slower than Usain Bolt but any sort of a product is lacking in terms of passing and shooting.

2. His movement going forward and tracking back is fantastic - this is where he earns his place

3. His shooting is eratic and not really defineable - Shot? Cross? - or 'Dangerous Ball' - His goal yesterday (The defenders goal) is a good example, was it going in? Would Nugent have got there? What was it?

4. Crossing is woeful and he doesn't really attempt to cross the ball in the air any more - to make up for this he plays with the ball at his feet and drives forward from the flag which goes nowhere but does win corners and draw defenders.

5. His passing is great as long as its a ten yard pass back up the line at less than a 60 degree angle when he's hit the byline and run out of headless chicken.

Gotta love Llyod but his fitness is what keeps him in the squad. As he ages he'll drop off dramatically - certainly will never cut it, if we go up.

Was having this discussion in the pub yesterday after the game.

Traditional 'wingers' are a dying breed.

We struggled to name many in the Championship who are clearly having a better season than Lloyd. Chris Burke is good at this level and Whittingham is again showing on the stats for both goals and assists. But he's not really a winger in the traditional sense.

All 'wingers' have shortcomings... There are very few now and over the years who have been able to beat a man with pace and to deliver a pin point cross. For City, Guppy was perhaps the best example, but he could cross from deep without having to beat his full back every time. Tommy Wright was another, but he had big Ormondroyd in the side as an obvious target.

Lloyd is worth his weight in gold because he offers an outlet. Give him the ball and 9 times out of 10, he'll skin his full back. His 'final ball' yes is often wayward, but, as I've just said, this is not rare in 'wing men'. But by skinning his full back he gives us time to regroup and to get forward. He 'takes the pressure off' so to speak.

Finally, as you rightly say, his defensive game has improved massively this season.

I think he's having a great year as I thought he would.

Regarding playing in the Prem? How many of our team would go up and look strong? Not many IMO.

Man City didn't deal with him. IMO you definitely can't say he 'certainly' won't cut it when he's performed excellently in recent matches against Prem teams.

Archived