Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Lloyd Dyer

Surely people realise his importance to us at the moment. He is really our only outlet, along with perhaps De Laet. Teams are forced to double up on him, as Brighton did last night.

His final ball, crossing etc may let him down from time to time, but anyway there last night would have seen him put 3/4 really good balls in from the byline which on another day we would have scored from. His work rate is seriously impressive also. He was covering in our own area countless times in the last twenty minutes last night, and he genuinely seems to be playing with confidence.

Sometimes he is slightly off the pace or too readable, but for now he is vital to us and i hope he continues playing consistently.

I thought he had a good game last night. He worked phenomenally hard, caused them problems from limited opportunities, his crosses were better too. Maybe more could have been made of several. When he is part of that '3' behind the striker, I think he is a valuable member of the team, let alone squad. I was one who secretly thought he might not get huge game time this season, but he's there on merit right now for me.

I absolutely love Lloyd.

That block he made in our box right at the death last night says everything about his commitment to our team.

He's much much better going forward than many here give him credit for.

OK some of his passes are not perfect, but nor are Knockaert's yet no one seems to slate him.

Sven missed a trick by sidelining Lloyd, but again it is testament to the man that he stuck by the club.

I'd go as far to say he is my current favourite player, when he gets on the ball and starts running at the opposition it is exhilarating.

Ben Marshall over Dyer any day. Dyer is not a goal threat and can't cross. He is great when running at players, but needs to cross the goal cleaner and quicker than he does.

Except Marshall cant beat a man for shit

have to agree with you there; just nice to have a player in the team who just put there head down and get on with the job.

has to be 1 of the few players that gets me off me seat when he takes on the full backs.....pace wise

I know he goes hot & cold from time to time form wise but all in all rather have in on our team than against us.

Love Dyers commitment to the club and the way he plays, always giving 100%.

So furstraiting that he misses the easier chances, due to his unintelligence more than anything, but its not going to change in his game now when he's 29 or thereabouts.

Been a good servant to the club and I'm glad he is playing week in and week out.

...and heading.

But I still love him, his attitude, his work rate, very good player, not as bad as people make out, his crossing isn't the greatest, but it isn't helped by the fact that we don't really have anyone in there who is great in the air. I can only think of Morgan on the first day of the season actually winning a header and scoring, our other headed goals have been free headers (I think).

The thing is though, he is actually decent at the little cutbacks. Similar to someone like Aaron Lennon (obviously not as good); Lennon is not great at whipping in crosses for people to head but in terms of getting to byline and cutting it back, there is nobody better. Dyer is just a poor man's Lennon. I will take that.

Dyer is playing at his best, he is committed, works hard and has taken his chance, all of which is great. He still is what he is fast on his feet, slow with his decision making. This will never change as it this is the way you are born. Maybe Col is judging him on his past performances instead of what is needed.

Dyer is playing at his best, he is committed, works hard and has taken his chance, all of which is great. He still is what he is fast on his feet, slow with his decision making. This will never change as it this is the way you are born. Maybe Col is judging him on his past performances instead of what is needed.

You're a WUM....

lol

:thumbup:

a consistent 7/10 man.

Have to disagree quite strongly here, I really, really like Dyer but if there's a key reason people aren't too sold on him it's crippling consistency issues. One week he's Ronaldo, the next he's Ali Dia.

It's always great when players we've bought to the club become a success and stick around for a while, it's almost impossible not to have an affinity with a man that's been through the last few insane years at this club with us. Same applies with King.

You're a WUM....

lol

:thumbup:

Who me ? No never lol

I just wish the stats guys could say X amounts of assists. It looks as if Dyer is benifting from Knockerart being in the side and their games of keep ball at the end of the match was fun to see, but how the guy who flattened Dyer, when he broke away, was not booked I fail to understand. And yes he is undertaking his defensive duties well, unlike last season when at times he was quite literlly running around in circles. Bamba has a lot to answer for.

Now I was quite impressed with Brigtons No 9 in the first half.

Who me ? No never lol

I just wish the stats guys could say X amounts of assists. It looks as if Dyer is benifting from Knockerart being in the side and their games of keep ball at the end of the match was fun to see, but how the guy who flattened Dyer, when he broke away, was not booked I fail to understand. And yes he is undertaking his defensive duties well, unlike last season when at times he was quite literlly running around in circles. Bamba has a lot to answer for.

Now I was quite impressed with Brigtons No 9 in the first half.

Yes you are you rascal...

I'm not basing my opinion on the Dyer of the past, my OP was talking about this season.

I think he is a real threat in this team and still don't concur with his crossing being 'awful'.

His pace is a double edged sword IMO. He's so rapid that the forwards can't always keep him with him, such that sometimes his crosses are not met by any of the strikers because they just aren't there!

What I'd like to see Lloyd do more of is to pull the final ball BACK a little... Such that it falls at the feet of an oncoming player.

But he's a dependable asset to this team, as many of us thought he would be.

Regarding Knocky... He's quality, I love him.. But I'm sure I saw him give the ball away on Tues might more than Dyer did?

Yes you are you rascal...

I'm not basing my opinion on the Dyer of the past, my OP was talking about this season.

I think he is a real threat in this team and still don't concur with his crossing being 'awful'.

His pace is a double edged sword IMO. He's so rapid that the forwards can't always keep him with him, such that sometimes his crosses are not met by any of the strikers because they just aren't there!

What I'd like to see Lloyd do more of is to pull the final ball BACK a little... Such that it falls at the feet of an oncoming player.

But he's a dependable asset to this team, as many of us thought he would be.

Regarding Knocky... He's quality, I love him.. But I'm sure I saw him give the ball away on Tues might more than Dyer did?

He also has more assists than Lloyd (3 v 2), as does Ben Marshall.

Lloyd's pace is not the reason his crosses don't find a man, LLoyd's lack of technique is. No one disputes that he is a willing team player, he is just severely lacking in technique. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, the fact he has a further 3 years on his contract means he wont be going anywhere any time soon.

He also has more assists than Lloyd (3 v 2), as does Ben Marshall.

Lloyd's pace is not the reason his crosses don't find a man, LLoyd's lack of technique is. No one disputes that he is a willing team player, he is just severely lacking in technique. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, the fact he has a further 3 years on his contract means he wont be going anywhere any time soon.

Dyer is and has been pretty much an ever present for a manager I respect and currently is playing in a team who are leading the championship.

He can't be as bad as you make him out to be Mike. It simply doesn't make sense.

If you have trust in Nigel Pearson you must surely also trust that Lloyd is currently keeping Ben Marshall out of the team?

Regarding his technical ability... Yes I agree I guess. But if he was adept in all areas of his game he would be a Prem player IMO.

Like Waghorn, I'd like to see us 'fans' looking at the strengths that these players bring to the squad, rather than continuing to focus on the weaknesses.

I swear that some of you will not be happy until we are 20 points clear with a quarter of the season left.

I think he is a real threat in this team

I agree with on this, thank god he has stopped turning sharp right every time he gets the ball .

What I'd like to see Lloyd do more of is to pull the final ball

No his crossing is awful, and unpredictable, he did a lovely little chip in the second half from the edge of the box which caught everyone out !!!

And if you are saying stay wide, hit the byline and the aim at the penalty spot. Yep 100% with you, or win a corner

But he's a dependable asset to this team,

Fair point we do know what he can do and so far this season he has always put a shift in

Do you have a death wish saying that on here ?

But your not wrong made a lovely run late on down the middle and as the guy behind me said that pass was straight out of the Dyer book of passing.

And I do give him full credit for his defensive cover and let's hope continues to dhow this level of play for the rest of the season.

Dyer is and has been pretty much an ever present for a manager I respect and currently is playing in a team who are leading the championship.

He can't be as bad as you make him out to be Mike. It simply doesn't make sense.

If you have trust in Nigel Pearson you must surely also trust that Lloyd is currently keeping Ben Marshall out of the team?

Regarding his technical ability... Yes I agree I guess. But if he was adept in all areas of his game he would be a Prem player IMO.

Like Waghorn, I'd like to see us 'fans' looking at the strengths that these players bring to the squad, rather than continuing to focus on the weaknesses.

I swear that some of you will not be happy until we are 20 points clear with a quarter of the season left.

He can be as bad as I make out Col. If we persist with 442 then he would be in my starting XI as the only alternative is a badly out of form Ben Marshall. I'm not complaining about the way we are performing (if memory serves me you were adement we needed to sign a DM despite the fact that you'd not seen us play and I and many others were confident things would turn on our favour) I'm just highlighting the fact that Lloyd hasn't got any better.

Finally, I'm not asking for him to be adept in all areas Col, I'd just like him to be able to cross a ball with a modicum of consistency.

He can be as bad as I make out Col. If we persist with 442 then he would be in my starting XI as the only alternative is a badly out of form Ben Marshall. I'm not complaining about the way we are performing (if memory serves me you were adement we needed to sign a DM despite the fact that you'd not seen us play and I and many others were confident things would turn on our favour) I'm just highlighting the fact that Lloyd hasn't got any better.

Finally, I'm not asking for him to be adept in all areas Col, I'd just like him to be able to cross a ball with a modicum of consistency.

Ill say again.. We have a team currently top of the league... That's good enough for me

The manager has faith in Dyer... That's also good enough for me.

If we start to lose matches, playing badly and I think Dyer has gone off the boil, I'll make comment on what I think may be the problem. Until then, I'm enjoying where we are and how we are playing.

Re. The DM.. That was an idea I had when we were losing away from home. Like others, I suggested where I thought we may be somewhat lacking. If I was wrong in this then so be it... No problem for me to be proven wrong.

I just wanted to make a brief comment about Lloyd Dyer.

Pre season some folks on here, including myself, stated that we thought he was going to be an important player this year, in terms of supplementing the 'squad effort' that Pearson has often spoken of.

However, some also suggested he was just not good enough and should even be sold.

I think he's having a really good season and his pace and trickery IS having a great impact on our attacking play. Last night, he was also tip top in his defensive duties.

I'm really pleased for Lloyd. He comes across as a very unassuming man and a consummate professional. It's of no surprise to me that he's in the team at the moment.

Couldn't agree more. Dyer is a wonderful asset and particularly to the side we have at present. He's an individual who's professional enough to put the team first and do what is asked of him.

Give him the ball in attack and he'll try all sorts to make things happen. Defensively he does the simple things and tries to retain possession. As for his final ball there's rarely a game when he doesn't create significant opportunities and, if anything, he suffers because no-one else quite has the pace to be there quickly enough to take advantage of the chances he makes.

Other times he suffers because we lack a near-post attacker and a genuine aerial threat. But there's no doubting Dyer puts the ball where it can and should hurt the opposition. Yes, I'd like to see him stay more balanced on the ball when he shoots but at least he takes responsibility for having a shot and sometimes they come off.

Whether in the team or on the bench he's never less than a credit to himself, to our club and to his profession. I've nothing but admiration for him.

Archived