Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mythyaar

Set pieces

Everyone is making a big play about needing a decent striker, and I'd agree, we do.

However, at the Bolton game, we must have had 15 corners, quite possibly more, and 5 free kicks in dangerous areas.

Not once did we trouble the goalkeeper.

A new striker is not the only answer. With the quality we have in dead ball scenarios, we should be far more dangerous at set pieces than we were.

More training ground work required in my opinion.

When you look at how poor we are at them it does make you wonder if we actually practice them.

Why are people constantly banging on about practicing set pieces?? We're a pro football club for christs sake of course we ****ing well practice them. The problem is that we just do not have the height or enough physicality to impact on other teams.

Not scoring from a corner is way down the list of issues for us to address.

Why are people constantly banging on about practicing set pieces?? We're a pro football club for christs sake of course we ****ing well practice them. The problem is that we just do not have the height or enough physicality to impact on other teams.

Not scoring from a corner is way down the list of issues for us to address.

Nonsense. Set-pieces are an important area from which goals can be scored, and when you're misfiring from open play, as we are, it's crucial that we maximise our ability to compensate for that by notching a few goals from corners etc.

Nonsense. Set-pieces are an important area from which goals can be scored, and when you're misfiring from open play, as we are, it's crucial that we maximise our ability to compensate for that by notching a few goals from corners etc.

Couldn't agree more...

I think it's laughable when we get a corner these days and think 'so what'?

We literally look no threat from set pieces, especially corners. This isn't acceptable.

I disagree (obviously). We've made massive strides this season without scoring from set pieces and as for misfiring, we've only failed to score in one game. Would be great to score 3, 4 or 5 a game but the reality is those sort of goal gluts are pretty rare throughout the season.

Would it be nice to score from a set piece? Yeah sure. Is it more important to get an actual left back to cover Konch? Undoubtedly. Is it more important to keep the harmony and spirit within the squad? Of course. Do we want to continue to see attractive, attacking football? Yes.

Just to clarify, i'm not saying its not a problem, i'm just saying its not as big an issue as some are making out and continuously saying, 'yeah but when O'Neill worrere, Guppeh would swing em in and Matteh, Gerreh or Walsheh would purritin' has no bearing whatsoever on the here and now and the here and now is, we've been in the top 6 of the championship for the longest period since NP left the first time. Progress is being made and instead of the stands filling up and the noise levels raising and the enthusiasm going through the roof with the mighty blue army surfing in the crest of a wave, we're talking about not scoring from corners.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone who thinks its a massive problem, I just think that in the grand scheme of things, its as big a problem as an ice cream van not having any coal.

I disagree (obviously). We've made massive strides this season without scoring from set pieces and as for misfiring, we've only failed to score in one game. Would be great to score 3, 4 or 5 a game but the reality is those sort of goal gluts are pretty rare throughout the season.

Would it be nice to score from a set piece? Yeah sure. Is it more important to get an actual left back to cover Konch? Undoubtedly. Is it more important to keep the harmony and spirit within the squad? Of course. Do we want to continue to see attractive, attacking football? Yes.

Just to clarify, i'm not saying its not a problem, i'm just saying its not as big an issue as some are making out and continuously saying, 'yeah but when O'Neill worrere, Guppeh would swing em in and Matteh, Gerreh or Walsheh would purritin' has no bearing whatsoever on the here and now and the here and now is, we've been in the top 6 of the championship for the longest period since NP left the first time. Progress is being made and instead of the stands filling up and the noise levels raising and the enthusiasm going through the roof with the mighty blue army surfing in the crest of a wave, we're talking about not scoring from corners.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone who thinks its a massive problem, I just think that in the grand scheme of things, its as big a problem as an ice cream van not having any coal.

I'm afraid your post makes no sense?

Of course the things you've mentioned are important.

What's that got to do with the subject of the thread (set pieces).

Why can't we have everything you say AND look threatening at corners?

I'm confused.... Our record from corners is shocking. And needs improving.

I'm afraid your post makes no sense?

Of course the things you've mentioned are important.

What's that got to do with the subject of the thread (set pieces).

Why can't we have everything you say AND look threatening at corners?

I'm confused.... Our record from corners is shocking. And needs improving.

Apologies if I havent been clear.

Putting it simply, we cant have it all because we dont have the personel to be effective to a greater extent from set pieces and given that we are doing fine without scoring from set pieces, i'd prefer us to carry on playing to our strengths.

In time i'm sure we'll become the complete team but in order to be dangerous from set pieces, you really need more height than we have. I honestly think that regardless of the quality of delivery, we'd still be ineffective because of that issue.

Apologies if I havent been clear.

Putting it simply, we cant have it all because we dont have the personel to be effective to a greater extent from set pieces and given that we are doing fine without scoring from set pieces, i'd prefer us to carry on playing to our strengths.

In time i'm sure we'll become the complete team but in order to be dangerous from set pieces, you really need more height than we have. I honestly think that regardless of the quality of delivery, we'd still be ineffective because of that issue.

:thumbup:

I honestly doubt it. We've got one the shortest teams in the league. We'd be better off taking them short and just trying to pass into the box.

Morgan, Whitbread, King are all good in the air. You dong have to be tall to win headers.

Morgan, Whitbread, King are all good in the air. You dong have to be tall to win headers.

Agree, height has nothing to do with it. It's all about delivery and knowing where to go and as Bert said attacking the ball. My fav Timmy Cahill was never the tallest but i've seen him score from corners countless times because he knows where to go and when to go.

Why are we so shite at them then?

Delivery, or not attacking them and having less players in the box than the opposition. Generally it's quite rare for teams to score from corners, especially for the amount of corners teams have.

There's no team in the league that have a habit of scoring from a whipped corner first time.

Think we've done it once this season, and cab only remember palaces second against us so far this season. (yes, I know Palace's first came from a corner but not directly scored like their second was)

Agree, height has nothing to do with it. It's all about delivery and knowing where to go and as Bert said attacking the ball. My fav Timmy Cahill was never the tallest but i've seen him score from corners countless times because he knows where to go and when to go.

So you're basically saying our coaching re set pieces is extremely poor?

So you're basically saying our coaching re set pieces is extremely poor?

The coaching/coaches don't whip the ball in. Of course we can gave routines but getting the delivery right is down to the player taking it, no-one else.

Archived