Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterlad96

Best LCFC memory?

Don't see how many people could not go with relegation to League 1. Probably one of the only times I've cried over football and is the only justifiable one. I hate it when I see Man U fans etc. crying when they lose a cup final or lose out on the league title; cheer up, you're going to have another chance to win it again next year!

We actually had a good team when we went down so it meant we were going to lose lots of players and we lost one of the few things that gave us claim to being a big club which was the fact that we'd never dropped out of the top 2 divisions.

Still, it worked out for the better and its always nice to see our lowest ever finish at 1st in L1.

The thing with relegation is that, whilst gutting, it had been coming for a while and when it happened there was this briefly gutting moment followed by the promise of renewal.

When Atletico robbed us of a big, European scalp I was younger and more naive and to see my side quite literally scammed like that was both devastatingly heartbreaking and also a huge loss of innocence.

The penalty appeals, the Parker red card, it was like a coming of age. An initiation in to the world of disappointment, mediocrity and let downs that's been following city ever since.

Best: 5-0 Cambridge in play-offs. Also my first game in Feb 1983, my uncle took me (I was 9) and we beat Wolves 5-0. I couldn't wait to go to the next game and was gutted that we could only go every fortnight...

Worst: Blackburn play-off final with Speedie diving, and also hated Leeds away this year, what a shower of shite those Leeds fans have to watch, just an awful, spoiling-tactics game to watch.

Don't see how many people could not go with relegation to League 1. Probably one of the only times I've cried over football and is the only justifiable one. I hate it when I see Man U fans etc. crying when they lose a cup final or lose out on the league title; cheer up, you're going to have another chance to win it again next year!

We actually had a good team when we went down so it meant we were going to lose lots of players and we lost one of the few things that gave us claim to being a big club which was the fact that we'd never dropped out of the top 2 divisions.

Still, it worked out for the better and its always nice to see our lowest ever finish at 1st in L1.

The only thing I was bothered about was losing our record of never being in that division. At the time, I thought it was the best thing for us. We had a decent squad for that level and it was a chance to regroup, get back into the habit of winning and come back strong rather than constantly fighting against the inevitable like Cov had been doing for a long time. So, it's not such a bad memory for me, I look at it more as a beginning

Fair point. But maybe the fact that we still go promoted that season made people not realise (or deny) how bad it really was? Also, Lineker's salvage mission was already in motion when we finally slid under. I remember being genuinely worried, but it was an ongoing thing that always looked like being sorted somehow - at least in my mind. Naive, perhaps, but there we go.

Also, when asked about memories, I guess one moment in time is usually what people refer to (like the day you get promoted or relegated) - rather than a long, drawn out saga? The day we went into administration there were pictures of Lineker in most papers, saying how he was going to save us.

I felt the same at the time, never really felt like we would lose the club, it was just a financial hurdle that we were always going to overcome, the fact we were storming the league at the time took my mind off things, relegation to League 1, on my birthday was a real sickner.

Howard scoring against Leeds, purely for the celebration. I've been to bigger, better and more significant games but for a single moment, that was the best.

2nd would be the second half against Forest in 2010. Just a great atmosphere, everyone was loving it, the victory and the manner of it was so sweet. Especially when they all started to leave after the 3rd goal (in fact quite a lot did after the 2nd one).

Christ it's not much fun supporting us if that's the best I can do lol

beating man city 4-3 in the cup one cold winters night way back in time -len glover nearly broke the bar with a shot.I spent the entire night clinging to the wire fence at the side of the kop.Stopped attending for probably 20 years due to work and family but really enjoying it again now

That Man City game is a standout memory for me as well, although I must admit, at my age, individual games tend to merge together. The abiding memory, though, is of the great evening games at Filbert Street when there were approaching 42000 in the ground creating an electric atmosphere. Sadly, it will remain just a memory as the younger generation of supporters will never be able to experience the intensity created by people packed together shoulder to shoulder creating spontaneous, not orchestrated, noise.

Totally agree, even Hollowhead admitted he learnt a lot from his time here. No I don't feel sorry for him

Howard scoring against Leeds, purely for the celebration. I've been to bigger, better and more significant games but for a single moment, that was the best.

For Walkers moment id have to agree. Never heard the place errupt like that before or since. You could liturally feel the ground wobbling.

Bit older than most sadly.

Best memories;

Alan Clarke scoring in Semmi against West Brom at Hillsborough to put us through to FA cup final in 1969

Joe Waters first goal against QPR in FAcup in 1974

Claridge in 96 Wembley

Claridge in 97 Hillsborough

Cottee at Man U when we won 1 0

Ian Marshall in Madrid in 1997

Best one of the lot:

Keith Weller - quite simply the best player I have ever seen or likely to see in a city shirt

Worst - Easy. Worst night ever as a city fan. Harlow away lost 1 0 in the FA cup replay.

Yes I attended all of those and still go today.

Remember all those and was at the first and the last of your memories!

beating man city 4-3 in the cup one cold winters night way back in time -len glover nearly broke the bar with a shot.I spent the entire night clinging to the wire fence at the side of the kop.Stopped attending for probably 20 years due to work and family but really enjoying it again now

One of my earliest games and one of the most stand out memories of my years being a Fox, great night.

5-0 win against Cambridge in the 1991-92 play off semi final at Filbert Street. Worst moment without a doubt was losing 1-0 at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup (Erland Johnson dive). Still fuming now

The Cambridge play off is my favourite game of all time,a warm sunny night, we were all expecting a really tense tight game

against a strong Cambridge team, what followed was just unbelieveable.

My favourite moment was Walshy scoring against the then' big spending' sheep ( the only time I have shed a tear at a football match)

The Chelsea FA Cup match I watched on telly and is the closest I have ever came to destroying my own TV

I'm well aware winning the League Cup as a Premiership side against First Division opponents isn't necessarily our best achievement ever (although it's certainly in the top 3), but to this day the memory of being there and watching Matt Elliot rise in slow motion to power in the winning goal sets my pituitary gland into overdrive. :scarf:

The Cambridge match was perfect. The play offs were fairly new then and we'd certainly not been involved before. Everyone was nervous before the game as they'd stuffed us earlier in the season (5-1?). If I recall correctly ooh Tommy Wright opened the scoring, followed by Thommo. Rooster headed home at the Filbert Street end early in the second half and that's when I knew we'd done it. A minute later Wright made it 4 and then we got a fifth from Ormondroyd. What a night that was.

As for the Chelsea game.... Don't even talk about it, I was furious. They played so well that night and to have it snatched from them at the end with such a dodgy penalty was so hard to take. I vowed that night that no matter what happened in the future no City defeat would ever affect me so badly again....

Bit older than most sadly.

Best memories;

Alan Clarke scoring in Semmi against West Brom at Hillsborough to put us through to FA cup final in 1969

Joe Waters first goal against QPR in FAcup in 1974

Claridge in 96 Wembley

Claridge in 97 Hillsborough

Cottee at Man U when we won 1 0

Ian Marshall in Madrid in 1997

Best one of the lot:

Keith Weller - quite simply the best player I have ever seen or likely to see in a city shirt

Worst - Easy. Worst night ever as a city fan. Harlow away lost 1 0 in the FA cup replay.

Yes I attended all of those and still go today.

Thought about it a bit more now. Would addShrewsbury FACup at home in 1982, three goalies and won 5 2.Sitting on the wall at Filbo against Man U in 67 or 68. Just after world cup. I was not very old and the match ball came to me. I passed it to Nobby Stiles who ruffled my hair and said thanks. How many world cup winners would do that these days? I hate Man U with a passion but that moment will always stay with me.The away wins at Charlton and Palace in 1996 following the home defeat in the MON early days

Archived