Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

St Andrews is one hell of a place, I can't even begin to put it into words. For a golfer and a huge golf fan it was a dream come true and everything I imagined.

I know you see it on the tv but the road hole is just one hell of a hole, the drive, the bunker, the length. Wow. Some of the slopes and undulations on the whole course are not done justice on the tv.

A phenomenal place and I will definitely bite the bullet to play a round there one year because it is just unbelievable.

Only downside is apart from the grandstands it wasn't particularly great viewing compared to other Opens I've been to.

Yes I agree, it's hard work following particular groups. I found myself pottering about the 1st, 3rd, 4th and then the 16th, 17th, 18th. It was just a pain going anywhere else. Phenomenal place though, hard to put in to words as you say. It's almost mythical.

Yes I agree, it's hard work following particular groups. I found myself pottering about the 1st, 3rd, 4th and then the 16th, 17th, 18th. It was just a pain going anywhere else. Phenomenal place though, hard to put in to words as you say. It's almost mythical.

Agree with that, although the grandstands around 11 & 7 were good places to be too.

We tried following Spieth and Garcia on Sunday and as you might imagine, that was borderline impossible. We managed it for 4 holes and then gave up.

Well done Danny Willett on winning today - but I take a weird interest in his interviews.

He always talks in the 'we' or 'us' or 'you' and never in the 'I'

"We had a good week, we putted well, the greens favoured us, we like our chances, you've got to be happy with another win" etc. etc.

Strange. If you listen to Rory, Rosey, Speith and the like, they always talk in the 'I'.

Just an observation lol

Had Keegan Bradley each-way today in the WGC Bridgestone at 33/1, he hasn't had the best of years but was reading earlier that in his last three appearances at this course that he has finished 1st, 2nd and 4th so certainly worth a £5 ew.

Had Keegan Bradley each-way today in the WGC Bridgestone at 33/1, he hasn't had the best of years but was reading earlier that in his last three appearances at this course that he has finished 1st, 2nd and 4th so certainly worth a £5 ew.

Smart betting. Horses for courses.

Great to see a European get their maiden win in the US, Lowry has been threatening to win a big tournament and he's now done it.

I'm looking forward to this week, Whistling S|traits looks immense. All year it's been said that the US Open, The Open and the USPGA were set up perfectly for Dustin Johnson. Will he finally hold his nerve? I'd not touch him for anything other then first round leader where he's more value at 25/1 than in the outright markets of 14/1. He has less holes to mess it up on and always starts majors well.

I'll be having a proper look later today. Patrick Reed will be in there at 66/1, horrible man, but he'll win a major soon.

In personal news, I won my first board competition two weeks ago. Shot 74 gross, nett 68. It'll be great to see my name up in the clubhouse.

Great to see a European get their maiden win in the US, Lowry has been threatening to win a big tournament and he's now done it.

I'm looking forward to this week, Whistling S|traits looks immense. All year it's been said that the US Open, The Open and the USPGA were set up perfectly for Dustin Johnson. Will he finally hold his nerve? I'd not touch him for anything other then first round leader where he's more value at 25/1 than in the outright markets of 14/1. He has less holes to mess it up on and always starts majors well.

I'll be having a proper look later today. Patrick Reed will be in there at 66/1, horrible man, but he'll win a major soon.

In personal news, I won my first board competition two weeks ago. Shot 74 gross, nett 68. It'll be great to see my name up in the clubhouse.

I like DJ but his recent record in 3rd and 4th rounds of majors must be pretty hideous for a player of his talent.

I understand your Reed shout, but I think a better one is Koepka. He has been playing well all summer, hits the ball miles and the USPGA has a habit of throwing up first time major winners (Dufner, Bradley etc.). T7 I believe at Firestone last week and reading through the stats (I think this is only since Firestone was moved before the USPGA), if your man was outside the top 22 last week, he isn't winning this week!

I would love to see Jason Day or Fowler win though, both consistent major performers and it is only a matter of time with both of them.

Congrats on the personal front, a tough one to do, especially as IIRC you play at Hinckley? Good work.

I like DJ but his recent record in 3rd and 4th rounds of majors must be pretty hideous for a player of his talent.

I understand your Reed shout, but I think a better one is Koepka. He has been playing well all summer, hits the ball miles and the USPGA has a habit of throwing up first time major winners (Dufner, Bradley etc.). T7 I believe at Firestone last week and reading through the stats (I think this is only since Firestone was moved before the USPGA), if your man was outside the top 22 last week, he isn't winning this week!

I would love to see Jason Day or Fowler win though, both consistent major performers and it is only a matter of time with both of them.

Congrats on the personal front, a tough one to do, especially as IIRC you play at Hinckley? Good work.

Cheers mate, yes it's my first year back at Hinckley since I was a junior so pleased to get an early win. I've got a kid on the way so this is probably the last year i'll have of playing 2-3 times a week for several more years as well. Came 2nd on Saturday in another comp as well, having a rich vein of form that will no doubt desert me soon! Haha.

I was on Koepka last week, he's certainly got the game for this course. He also was fairly steady at St Andrews and I was on him last year when he finished 4th in the US Open at 200/1.

A very interesting stat is 13 out of the last 15 USPGA winners had already won an event in the same year as winning the USPGA. Koopka got his maiden PGA Tour win earlier this year so that's another plus. Also ticks the boxes for Day, Fowler, Reed and several others. I like looking for first time major winners for this tournament so all of the above come in to this.

What sort of course is Whistling Straights? Does it favour length over accuracy?

Have to say length over accuracy. I could write a long post about the stats to be looking at, but nobody does it better than "@fantasygolfman" on Twitter.

Every week he collates the most relevant statistics in a tally scoring system to try and predict the winner, alongside spreadsheets detailing recent form and as this has been a previous major venue, the finishes and statistics of the players who performed well at Whistling Straits.

Big ones this week: Driving distance, T2G, Par 4 & Par 5 scoring, Scrambling. I'll post a link once here shortly...

http://fantasyinsiders.com/articles/form-stat-trends-pga-championship

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader

Having done a bit of research it seems like it's another course where the big hitters will have the advantage, especially with the course playing quite soft. The USPGA usually throws up someone who has won earlier in the season too, so with that in mind I'm going to be backing these players.

Day (14/1)

Bubba Watson (14/1)

Stenson (25/1)

Koepka (45/1)

Reed (60/1)

Grace (80/1)

Can see DJ being tempting as first round leader again at 25/1 before bottling it again with his length off the tee. Price of the week is Tiger to miss the cut at 11/8. He played terribly at his favourite course last time we saw him and surely in the 3 weeks in between he hasn't improved to compete at this level, especially if he is as wayward off the tee as he has been since 2010.

Tony Finau is huge at 300/1. I am taking DJ FRL only, also JB Holmes and Tommy Fleetwood in the FRL.

My other fancies are Koepka, Reed, Leishman is big at 100s given what he did at St Andrews and has 2-3 other places in majors. I'm also very keen on a couple of huge long shots in case the wind really gets up and it becomes a slog. Marcel Siem at 600/1 and Chesson Hadley at a similar price.

Tony Finau is huge at 300/1. I am taking DJ FRL only, also JB Holmes and Tommy Fleetwood in the FRL.

My other fancies are Koepka, Reed, Leishman is big at 100s given what he did at St Andrews and has 2-3 other places in majors. I'm also very keen on a couple of huge long shots in case the wind really gets up and it becomes a slog. Marcel Siem at 600/1 and Chesson Hadley at a similar price.

DJ has smashed it yet again, thanks for the 25/1! JB Holmes was leading as well at one point but will get a bit of place money back on him by the looks of it.

Haven't been this happy for a winner since Selby won the Snooker World Championships, so happy to see Jason Day finally get over the line, nice guy, cracking player.

Yep, totally agree. Well chuffed for him. Thoroughly deserved and you could see how much it meant to him.

• Like 1