Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Not a bad week for me but promised so much better. I thought Tony Finau was a shoe in for a place at least half way through his 3rd round but he fell away and that's a shame. However I am more than happy to mop up the DJ FRL and JB Holmes place plus Kopeka finishing T5.

Delighted for Jason Day. He's a salt of the earth and deserves this. There's not been a player out there whose contested as many majors as he has in the last few years. Hope he goes on to win a load of them now.

Anyone of you people that know more about golf than me (not much) fancy Koepa to be first round leader today? 25/1 on Betfair 1/5 odds for top 5

It's not a bad shout, he's definitely capable. Without having looked into it myself I can't give you a more definite answer as to whether I would go with it. He finished 4th last week in the major and didn't have a very good first round at all, shooting 64 in the final round so he's definitely capable of a low one.

I don't know what's important (length, accuracy, GIR etc) on this course without looking, so look at @Fantasygolfman on Twitter who does some very good work every week for PGA tour events on what's important. Even if you don't have Twitter you can still get to it, I believe I posted a link earlier in this thread but I don't know whether it will be specific to that tournament.

I'll save you the leg work: http://www.fantasyinsiders.com/pga

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader

It's not a bad shout, he's definitely capable. Without having looked into it myself I can't give you a more definite answer as to whether I would go with it. He finished 4th last week in the major and didn't have a very good first round at all, shooting 64 in the final round so he's definitely capable of a low one.

I don't know what's important (length, accuracy, GIR etc) on this course without looking, so look at @Fantasygolfman on Twitter who does some very good work every week for PGA tour events on what's important. Even if you don't have Twitter you can still get to it, I believe I posted a link earlier in this thread but I don't know whether it will be specific to that tournament.

I'll save you the leg work: http://www.fantasyinsiders.com/pga

Cheers for that! I've started following Golf Betting Guru on facebook at the recommendation of a mate. That guy seems to think accuracy is key on this course.

Cheers for that! I've started following Golf Betting Guru on facebook at the recommendation of a mate. That guy seems to think accuracy is key on this course.

Likewise with the guy I have suggested.

A more specific link to the three stat sheets from him I regularly use is here: http://www.fantasyinsiders.com/articles/form-guide-stat-sheets-wyndham-championship

Good luck!

Just started getting into Golf (about 3 months ago) so have begun betting on it too (naturally). Been watching quite a lot of a lately. Jason Day what a man. Had £7.50 e/w on him at 12/1 for WS. 

Gone for Grace in the latest tournement. 22/1.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen on Twitter, that DJ has driven a par 4 green today... With an iron?! Did anyone see it?

If he did that's bloody ridiculous..

Just googled it, 289 yards, with an iron. Mental.

I didnt see this myself, but im suspecting down wind and with roll?

A low trapped chaser with a 2 iron would be my guess? the sort of tee ball youd see on a fiery links

Extremely impressive no matter how he did it.

Edited by Donut

I didnt see this myself, but im suspecting down wind and with roll?

A low trapped chaser with a 2 iron would be my guess? the sort of tee ball youd see on a fiery links

Extremely impressive no matter how he did it.

I've just found it online.. 2 iron, takes two bounces and then feeds out maybe 7-8 feet.

Watching the video it doesn't look like a chaser (doesn't mean to say it isn't), looks like a standard/high ball flight. Outrageous.

I've just found it online.. 2 iron, takes two bounces and then feeds out maybe 7-8 feet.

Watching the video it doesn't look like a chaser (doesn't mean to say it isn't), looks like a standard/high ball flight. Outrageous.

Wow, that really is outrageous.

When you watch the big hitters live , their power is mesmerising. The ball flight is typically high, but boring as well. The ball just keeps going forwards, not upwards, but forwards. Its so hard to describe but guys like Dustin can regularly generate 300 yard CARRY, which is just freakish

Is 289 yards with a 2 iron that outrageous for the likes of DJ who at times hits 7 irons comfortably over 200 yards! They hit it outrageously far, the mind boggles. If I flush a 2 iron I can carry one about 205-215 yards maximum and then get a bit of run as well but these boys would do that with a 6 iron with an easy swing. Frightening.

• Like 1

I'm more impressed that anyone can hit a 2 iron. I struggle to do anything with a four.

Exactly. Thank the Lord for hybrids/rescue clubs. I'd be fooked without mine. Big respect for those who can melt a 2 or 3 iron.

Up in Scotland at the minute playing my first experience of proper links style courses.

Today I played at Glen golf club in North Berwick, absolutely fantastic. Some terrific holes, every hole was different and I dread to think what it is like playing in a howling gale. The slopes on some of the greens (particularly compared to my "home" course) I found difficult to bring myself to hit them that far out. Particular favourites were the 8th, 12th, 13th and 18th. I enjoyed the links style fairway bunkers too, a proper punishment for being in one off the tee, which I'm hoping to learn from for tomorrow's outing!

I was also pleased that the indices reflected the hardest holes of the course, I know it sounds obvious, but it doesn't always!

For anyone interested (which I doubt) we are playing a combined stableford amongst our 4 ball across 4 rounds and my 33 sits second, unfortunately though, 5 behind!

Following on from yesterday and my post (I have no idea if anyone is interested in reading, I expect probably not!!), I have just returned from playing at St Andrews today, unfortunately not the old course although we did walk on and take our touristy photos as you would!

We played the Eden Course and I was thoroughly impressed with the first impression as we checked in and received a pitch repairer, stroke saver, pin position sheet and scorecard all handed to us there and then. The course was a really good test, particularly the greens as you had to get at pins that were protected by quite severe slopes, if you didn't quite get it up there it sure came back to you or ran off into a collection area.

I liked the layout of the course, very interesting holes and undulating greens. The greens themselves when you were on them didn't look particularly great, but ran very true with no bobbles as you would expect. The 14th and 15th are quite strange as you are somewhat taken away from the links style of the game as there is a huge pond to the left of the 14th. I liked the par 3's and there were a few good risk and reward holes too most notably 4 and 12, both reachable from the tee. I would say it is definitely a course worth playing, in comparison, the Glen has much better views and scenery.

After a hideous pull hook off the first into the gorse, things did get rather better (bar a pair of sloppy doubles on the 4th and the 9th) and I finished with 37 points. I was pleased to only be in one bunker today and to have seemingly learnt a bit from yesterday, just need to stop the big numbers as I have made at least two "blobs" both days so far. My 37 has closed the gap slightly to the top spot, I am only now 3 behind. Aggregate scores reading 73, 70, 69 & 64.

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader
  • Like 1

I'm more impressed that anyone can hit a 2 iron. I struggle to do anything with a four.

Iron play is my strongest part of my game, i've always found hitting any iron ok. In fact i'd say i'm more accurate and consistent with long irons than short irons. My wedge play needs more work than I give it.

Exactly. Thank the Lord for hybrids/rescue clubs. I'd be fooked without mine. Big respect for those who can melt a 2 or 3 iron.

It's bizarre as I cannot get on with hybrids or fairway woods, I hit big raking hooks. I've tried various different models, had lessons and still compared to long irons i'm nowhere near as good. Give me a 2 iron and a nice springy fairway lie and i'll send one like a bullet. Give me the same with a hybrid or fairway wood and i'll spray it all over the place!!!

Up in Scotland at the minute playing my first experience of proper links style courses.

Today I played at Glen golf club in North Berwick, absolutely fantastic. Some terrific holes, every hole was different and I dread to think what it is like playing in a howling gale. The slopes on some of the greens (particularly compared to my "home" course) I found difficult to bring myself to hit them that far out. Particular favourites were the 8th, 12th, 13th and 18th. I enjoyed the links style fairway bunkers too, a proper punishment for being in one off the tee, which I'm hoping to learn from for tomorrow's outing!

I was also pleased that the indices reflected the hardest holes of the course, I know it sounds obvious, but it doesn't always!

For anyone interested (which I doubt) we are playing a combined stableford amongst our 4 ball across 4 rounds and my 33 sits second, unfortunately though, 5 behind!

Mate, some of the courses up by North Berwick are absolutely stunning. Very jealous, I played North Berwick and that's it, but walked around Gullane and went past Glen Golf Club and both looked ridiculous.

Following on from yesterday and my post (I have no idea if anyone is interested in reading, I expect probably not!!), I have just returned from playing at St Andrews today, unfortunately not the old course although we did walk on and take our touristy photos as you would!

We played the Eden Course and I was thoroughly impressed with the first impression as we checked in and received a pitch repairer, stroke saver, pin position sheet and scorecard all handed to us there and then. The course was a really good test, particularly the greens as you had to get at pins that were protected by quite severe slopes, if you didn't quite get it up there it sure came back to you or ran off into a collection area.

I liked the layout of the course, very interesting holes and undulating greens. The greens themselves when you were on them didn't look particularly great, but ran very true with no bobbles as you would expect. The 14th and 15th are quite strange as you are somewhat taken away from the links style of the game as there is a huge pond to the left of the 14th. I liked the par 3's and there were a few good risk and reward holes too most notably 4 and 12, both reachable from the tee. I would say it is definitely a course worth playing, in comparison, the Glen has much better views and scenery.

After a hideous pull hook off the first into the gorse, things did get rather better (bar a pair of sloppy doubles on the 4th and the 9th) and I finished with 37 points. I was pleased to only be in one bunker today and to have seemingly learnt a bit from yesterday, just need to stop the big numbers as I have made at least two "blobs" both days so far. My 37 has closed the gap slightly to the top spot, I am only now 3 behind. Aggregate scores reading 73, 70, 69 & 64.

Well in mate, some decent scoring there on some very tough courses. What a part of the world, hey?

Mate, some of the courses up by North Berwick are absolutely stunning. Very jealous, I played North Berwick and that's it, but walked around Gullane and went past Glen Golf Club and both looked ridiculous.

Well in mate, some decent scoring there on some very tough courses. What a part of the world, hey?

Yes indeed. A fabulous part of the world, we are renting a house almost smack in the middle of Glen Golf Club and North Berwick Golf Club, we have walked to each and played Glen as I mentioned.

Funny you mentioned Gullane, that is tomorrow's outing for us!!

Some decent scores considering I'm not at what I would consider my sharpest, I went through a stage about 2 & 1/2 - 3 years ago where I could seemingly do no wrong, particularly at my home course. I can barely remember playing off 6, 7, 8 & 9 as that summer my handicap collapsed from 10-5 in a short space of time but have never really recaptured that type of form since!

Forgot to continue here..

Gullane was my favourite course of the lot, we played the No.2 course and it was terrific, a thoroughly enjoyable test. The greens were really top notch too and we each got a basket of range balls to hit before our round which was a nice touch. The 17th was a really interesting hole, particularly enjoyed the back 9 as a whole actually.

The last day we played at Eyemouth which was another great course, definitely need to play it a few times though as some of the greens were huge and had shelves in the middles that you really needed to be in the right place on the green or else it had 3 putt all over it. One of the most interesting holes was the 6th, 167 yards into a howling gale, after hitting a stinger 5 wood about 30 yards too far, I was dead. The green was sloping away from me and there was a mound surrounding the back of the green to go over. But played a quite miraculous chip to 3 feet and rolled it in for a par. The memory of which will keep me going for weeks!

A bit more locally, I played at Belton Park in Lincolnshire and that was a terrific course as well, the greens were terrific. A very good course if you get the chance to play.

Forgot to continue here..

Gullane was my favourite course of the lot, we played the No.2 course and it was terrific, a thoroughly enjoyable test. The greens were really top notch too and we each got a basket of range balls to hit before our round which was a nice touch. The 17th was a really interesting hole, particularly enjoyed the back 9 as a whole actually.

The last day we played at Eyemouth which was another great course, definitely need to play it a few times though as some of the greens were huge and had shelves in the middles that you really needed to be in the right place on the green or else it had 3 putt all over it. One of the most interesting holes was the 6th, 167 yards into a howling gale, after hitting a stinger 5 wood about 30 yards too far, I was dead. The green was sloping away from me and there was a mound surrounding the back of the green to go over. But played a quite miraculous chip to 3 feet and rolled it in for a par. The memory of which will keep me going for weeks!

A bit more locally, I played at Belton Park in Lincolnshire and that was a terrific course as well, the greens were terrific. A very good course if you get the chance to play.

Superb. How much did you spend up in Scotland? You've played some top drawer courses there, must have stung you a few quid? On a side note, anyone going Woburn in October for the British Masters?

On a side note, anyone going Woburn in October for the British Masters?

Yeah, I was considering going but heard it was sold out? I'm only 20 mins from Woburn so fancy going but didn't Sky give away thousands of tickets? Must check out the website and see the state of play. Would be crazy not to go as its so close and see Poulter etc.

Edited by Izzy Muzzett