Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
Happy Fox

Peter Shilton

Recommended Posts

Posted

Great servant and one of our own coming up from the junior ranks. He made some wonderful saves and as someone already said was worth 10 points a season.

Kasper wouldn't get a look in if we had GB or Shilton still playing. Good luck to him.

Posted

Blatant and cheap attempt at self-promotion by the Mercury. Count the amount of times the newspaper's name pops up in this article.

Poor journalism and a prime example of how an elderly couple is used as a tool to market said paper.

And then they wonder why their sales dwindle each year...

Why are you so bloody cynical? Is it time of the month for you, MC?

Posted

Think I saw him make his Leicester debut.. Spurs away, December 1967... We won 1-0 and Shilts was magnificent!!!.... Can anyone confirm that this was his senior debut?

Posted

Played against Peter when he was with Blaby Boys Club and I was with Wigston BC. Saffron Lane pitch. Blaby were so good in those days (or we were so bad) that Peter didn't bother playing in goal. He played Centre Forward and scored some. We didn't score any.

Posted

I saw Shilton on his debut, was just before the 66 World Cup, either Everton or Sheff Wed at home i think, can't remember exact opposition, but I think we won 3-0.

IMO he was a better keeper than Banks. Maybe a bit unfair, but we were strong contenders for the cup in 65/66 until we lost a replay at home 0-1 to Man City. Banks let a simple shot under his body a bit like Shilton against Poland some years later. We had been 2-0 up at Maine Road in the first match only to let the second division side back in the game and then eventually equalise. I was gutted and to this day still remember that Banks error, which as I say a bit harsh, considering all the saves he must have made.

1966 was when I first started travelling to away matches on a regular basis, don't miss the long journeys before decent roads, but do miss the football train specials. They were great fun.

Posted

Why are you so bloody cynical? Is it time of the month for you, MC?

You're quoting a post made over two years ago, DT.

Posted

I saw Shilton on his debut, was just before the 66 World Cup, either Everton or Sheff Wed at home i think, can't remember exact opposition, but I think we won 3-0.

IMO he was a better keeper than Banks. Maybe a bit unfair, but we were strong contenders for the cup in 65/66 until we lost a replay at home 0-1 to Man City. Banks let a simple shot under his body a bit like Shilton against Poland some years later. We had been 2-0 up at Maine Road in the first match only to let the second division side back in the game and then eventually equalise. I was gutted and to this day still remember that Banks error, which as I say a bit harsh, considering all the saves he must have made.

1966 was when I first started travelling to away matches on a regular basis, don't miss the long journeys before decent roads, but do miss the football train specials. They were great fun.

 

BLASPHEMER.jpg

 

A genius he was.. but there is none better the Banks.  :P

 

Ahhh to have that quality of keeper again, we would be a very diferent side, Banks and Shilton gave such a fantastic starting point.

Posted

I saw Shilton on his debut, was just before the 66 World Cup, either Everton or Sheff Wed at home i think, can't remember exact opposition, but I think we won 3-0.

IMO he was a better keeper than Banks. Maybe a bit unfair, but we were strong contenders for the cup in 65/66 until we lost a replay at home 0-1 to Man City. Banks let a simple shot under his body a bit like Shilton against Poland some years later. We had been 2-0 up at Maine Road in the first match only to let the second division side back in the game and then eventually equalise. I was gutted and to this day still remember that Banks error, which as I say a bit harsh, considering all the saves he must have made.

1966 was when I first started travelling to away matches on a regular basis, don't miss the long journeys before decent roads, but do miss the football train specials. They were great fun.

 

Interesting view, especially when Banks is considered one of the greatest goalkeepers ever. But football is all about opinions! Regardless of who people think is better, they both remain two of the greatest goalkeepers this Country has produced and we should be proud that both played for Leicester City!

 

:scarf:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...