Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

5th Round Draw

Tickets will be cheap for this, but the attendance will suffer due to Wigan's away following.

Wigan-fans-norwich.jpg

See what I mean?

A Premiership side and a decent test of where we are, but no more than 18,000 for this.

Will the Huddersfield game be on TV?

The Brentford forum is saying their replay against Chelsea will be on the 5th round weekend either 16th or 17th feb due to Chelsea's

Europa cup game.

Looks like we will be on ESPN as they have an FAC replay in the TV listings for 12th feb when our replay is due to take place.

No other replays so we must be on TV again......

There support is a disgrace

It really isn't. They are a small club in a small-ish town surrounded by four major teams in Manchester and Liverpool, plus former recent champions Blackburn. And rugby is the dominant sport.

There support is a disgrace

Not really. They're just a small club punching above their weight.

This stuff gets trotted out all the time, that Wigan don't 'deserve' to be in the Premier League because they have a smallish fanbase. Well, last time I checked, it was performance on the pitch that decided what league you play in, not how many people are watching it in the stands.

The fact that they have managed to compete in that division for so long with modest revenues a mark of how well-run they have been over the last decade or so in comparison with clubs like us.

Wigan fan here in piece.....

I noticed the majority of you are not happy with the tie against us....and why not...you would want a big prem team at home, not a prem team who dont get the best crowds etc.

But everyone calls our crowds, but why do people not call QPR's? We have better attendances than them......they dont get slated.....I know they are not good...but someone who posted that picture up of our away following at Norwich, at the time we were playing awful and it is about 6/7 hour journey down there so I wouldnt expect us to take 1000's. If we do get you...I gurantee we will bring a good following. For some reason everyone likes going to the cup games away and against a team in a lower division...I dont know why. We took 2200 against maccs on Saturday and that was sold out within 3 hours, I know it isn't dead far but still people enjoy going the cup games away.If we do get you I think we would bring at least 2000, we took 3500 away to Notts Conuty a few seasons ago. I do think you have a good chance of beating us in all honesty...from the sides he has put out in the other 2 rounds I cant see Martinez putting out a stronger side. Anyways I personally hope we get you and if we do...good luck.

let's face it, if we have Prem ambitions then Wigan are a team we can envisage beating. They could easily be a Championship team next season.

No excuses Leicester get your best team out there against Huddersfield and then let's take a Prem "scalp" before we remove the manchester teams from the competition.

I noticed the majority of you are not happy with the tie against us....and why not...you would want a big prem team at home, not a prem team who dont get the best crowds etc.

But everyone calls our crowds, but why do people not call QPR's? We have better attendances than them......they dont get slated.....I know they are not good...but someone who posted that picture up of our away following at Norwich, at the time we were playing awful and it is about 6/7 hour journey down there so I wouldnt expect us to take 1000's. If we do get you...I gurantee we will bring a good following. For some reason everyone likes going to the cup games away and against a team in a lower division...I dont know why. We took 2200 against maccs on Saturday and that was sold out within 3 hours, I know it isn't dead far but still people enjoy going the cup games away.If we do get you I think we would bring at least 2000, we took 3500 away to Notts Conuty a few seasons ago. I do think you have a good chance of beating us in all honesty...from the sides he has put out in the other 2 rounds I cant see Martinez putting out a stronger side. Anyways I personally hope we get you and if we do...good luck.

You will be offered nearly 5000 do you think there will be any chance of you selling that amount? We clearly wanted a more 'glamorous' tie and I'm sure you did as well but it's fine as, at least our ground won't be full of Manc lovers against you.

Also there's the fact we hve to get past Huddersfield first, who would you prefer to play us or them?

Not really. They're just a small club punching above their weight.

This stuff gets trotted out all the time, that Wigan don't 'deserve' to be in the Premier League because they have a smallish fanbase. Well, last time I checked, it was performance on the pitch that decided what league you play in, not how many people are watching it in the stands.

The fact that they have managed to compete in that division for so long with modest revenues a mark of how well-run they have been over the last decade or so in comparison with clubs like us.

Spot on.

I bet many people don't realise that they actually play good football too. For a team that's been in the premiership for almost a decade now some of our fans are showing a bit of arrogance.

They might not be the best supported, but they're a well ran football club, and they're where they are on merit.

Spot on.

I bet many people don't realise that they actually play good football too. For a team that's been in the premiership for almost a decade now some of our fans are showing a bit of arrogance.

They might not be the best supported, but they're a well ran football club, and they're where they are on merit.

Well said.

It's easy to forget that it was Martinez who set Swansea on their way to being the club they are now. They aren't a big club and they're a good couple of divisions above their weight, but they deserve to be in the Premier League because the eleven men on the field have earned them their place there. This is no gimme.

First of all, I do like Wigan and the way you play football. Also, I have respect for Whelan who seems to be the ideal chairman.

I'm not one of those that say 'Wigan don't deserve to be in the Premier League'. No team deserves anything. You are a club that is most probably overachieving, and fair play, you haven't been relegated since getting into the division for the first time. I understand Wigan is more of a rugby town, and I take into consideration your location... Lancashire has many football teams, four of our biggest teams (United, City, Liverpool, Everton) all play in the County, as well as the likes of Bolton, Blackpool, Burnley, Blackburn and lower down, Rochdale, Bury etc. I imagine people around your area would choose the likes of Manchester United over their local side, Wigan.

I hope we can beat Huddersfield to play you, it will test our quality against a Premier League side. In terms of league, I hope you can stay up (again).

Archived