Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

Serious Question

You're kidding aren't you? I remember planes carrying 'Pleat out' banners in the early 90s and after-match protests in which windows were smashed and managers obliged to speak to the mob as late as the O'Neill era.

were we sitting in an automatic promotion spot at the time ?

were we sitting in an automatic promotion spot at the time ?

You never mentioned that, but no. And come to think of it, we weren't come full time on Tuesday either. We were in the play-offs though, just as we were when fans spat at Little in 94. And we weren't far off when fans turned on O'Neill in 96 - indeed we ended up winning them that year.

I'm genuinely interested in this. When people boo players, phone phone-ins to complain, tweet at players etc., what are you hoping to achieve? Not so much posting on here, but giving negative feedback that is likely to reach the players and/or managers.

I'm not questioning your right to do so, nor asking when it is/isn't appropriate, just wondering what you hope the outcome will be?

Thanks...

They don't hope to achieve anything, they are just sounding off a little.

The people that really irritate me are the ones who phone in on Monday nights and are really negative about everything and constantly moaning. Negative thinking is really just lazy thinking, and it gets you absolutely nowhere. Have they any idea how boring they are?

I'm genuinely interested in this. When people boo players, phone phone-ins to complain, tweet at players etc., what are you hoping to achieve? Not so much posting on here, but giving negative feedback that is likely to reach the players and/or managers.

I'm not questioning your right to do so, nor asking when it is/isn't appropriate, just wondering what you hope the outcome will be?

Thanks...

I don't think it's about 'achieving anything' directly.

I've always thought its about ventilating.

People have a need to ventilate in many ways, going to the gym, getting pissed, eating too much, having an argument with the Missis.... The list goes on.

Some fans are completely wrapped up in football. Football is their way of ventilating. When some of the fans boo at football, I doubt, psychologically, that directly they feel they will change anything or achieve anything. They are simply making themselves feel better by venting their frustrations in a way that feels appropriate for them at the time.

Maybe these people lead frustrating lives?

Maybe they are angry people anyway?

Maybe they are hard up and are pissed off that they are watching players earning 30k per week not putting in the effort?

Booing therefore is a complex phenomenon..

It's bound up in a persons psyche, current situation etc etc etc.

I don't boo personally, as I don't feel the need to. Sure, I get pissed off with some of our performances and found the Sven/Beckford/Mills time very challenging!

But I also don't knock people that feel the need to boo. Because they have their own reasons for doing so....

I don't like it, but don't pretend to understand it.

Perhaps a psychological study regarding the need of certain fans to 'boo' would yield greater understanding? I'd read it...

I'd guess it would discover three important things:

Firstly, the individual personality type of the 'booer'.

Secondly, the current level of performance of the team vis a vis expectation.

Thirdly, group dynamics... The more people who start to boo, the more people join the bandwagon.

Anyway, it'd be a fascinating study.

You never mentioned that, but no. And come to think of it, we weren't come full time on Tuesday either. We were in the play-offs though, just as we were when fans spat at Little in 94. And we weren't far off when fans turned on O'Neill in 96 - indeed we ended up winning them that year.

We were still in the top two when our game ended. We started earlier than Hull.

I have no problem with a grumble of discontent at the END of of poor performance. The booing of our own players I can't stand during games or when subs come on.

So if it makes picking, say, Vardy harder for Pearson,

No, just no.

Voicing concern over a teams poor performance is one thing, attempting to use it to make a manager do something YOU want rather than what he wants it's ridiculous. Look at the tantrums we had about not picking Futacs on here, that campaign has suddenly died a death fairly sharpish.

Leave team selection to the professionals, it's not like we're struggling at the foot of the table, we were top two at the time and people thought they knew better than someone who sees the players day in day out.

No, just no.

Voicing concern over a teams poor performance is one thing, attempting to use it to make a manager do something YOU want rather than what he wants it's ridiculous. Look at the tantrums we had about not picking Futacs on here, that campaign has suddenly died a death fairly sharpish.

Leave team selection to the professionals, it's not like we're struggling at the foot of the table, we were top two at the time and people thought they knew better than someone who sees the players day in day out.

As I said, I was playing 'devil's advocate'. I wouldn't boo a player during or even after a game, I'm just pointing out that there is clearly a logic to it. Namely a) to influence a manager, b) to influence a board, c) to wake a player up.

And, as regards the idea that we shouldn't attempt to influence a manager, well there are plenty of managers' favourites who, over time, the fans have been quite right to want out of the side. I can think of plenty of times when the fans have been correct in their criticism - Pleat Out / The Gang of Four saga / criticism of Lewis / Lee Marshall / De Vries / Maybury / Beckford.

Unfortunately booing has also wound a few decent players, and managers, up the wrong way in the past. Personally, and it's a purely personal thing, I'm not confident enough that I am 'right' to turn on players. But it doesn't have to be morally repugnant either.

And I'm especially 'not convinced I'm right' when we're up in the play-off zone!

The season is, on balance, going well. But no more than that. There'll be plenty of people on the board, and many neutral pundits, who feel that we're far from fulfilling expectations this season.

If it helps keep a few players on their toes; riles the likes of Konchesky, then it's possible (and no more) that it'll serve a purpose.

no - the point I wanted to make is that if there is a real problem with the running or management of the club then the manifestation of anger and protest you describe (except spitting of course) is probably the only way to make oneself heard. Where I have a problem is that after any setback (and by setback I mean losing a football match) there is a lot of hysterical abuse of players and management which irrespective of the position the club is in is always forthcoming from certain quarters. If you want an example of the sort of intemperate emotional incontinence I'm talking about take a look in a match day thread when the opposition score a goal!

As I said, I was playing 'devil's advocate'. I wouldn't boo a player during or even after a game, I'm just pointing out that there is clearly a logic to it. Namely a) to influence a manager, b) to influence a board, c) to wake a player up.

And, as regards the idea that we shouldn't attempt to influence a manager, well there are plenty of managers' favourites who, over time, the fans have been quite right to want out of the side. I can think of plenty of times when the fans have been correct in their criticism - Pleat Out / The Gang of Four saga / criticism of Lewis / Lee Marshall / De Vries / Maybury / Beckford.

Unfortunately booing has also wound a few decent players, and managers, up the wrong way in the past. Personally, and it's a purely personal thing, I'm not confident enough that I am 'right' to turn on players. But it doesn't have to be morally repugnant either.

Apologies, missed the devils advocate thing. I'm with you on most of what you're saying.

Tin hat time, only retards will boo players off the pitch.

If you don't like the performance then shout, sing whatever but booing is hideous.

I have never booed but also like Tuesday I won't clap after the final whistle if it was poor.

If they walked off to silence it would still get the message across.

When people boo players, the fans are hoping the players will listen and up their game for the next half, or next game.

Phone in's are just for weird fans who know nothing

People tweet players, to get retweets and replies. However some of these fans are the best arse lickers in the world. "I love you Anthony", "You are the next Messi"...proper arse licking then Knockaert retweets these, which is embarrassing.

Phone in's are just for weird fans who know nothing

Did you hear the numpty on Tuesday after the match, one of the last callers he said something like 'well we have got Wigan next week in the second leg of the cup'.

This was after he struggled to get a sentence together about the game that night, no doubt wasn't even there and these get on my tits as well. How can you phone in to comment on a game you weren't at but either listened too or watched on TV instead.

If you weren't there you have no right to grumble.

no - the point I wanted to make is that if there is a real problem with the running or management of the club then the manifestation of anger and protest you describe (except spitting of course) is probably the only way to make oneself heard. Where I have a problem is that after any setback (and by setback I mean losing a football match) there is a lot of hysterical abuse of players and management which irrespective of the position the club is in is always forthcoming from certain quarters. If you want an example of the sort of intemperate emotional incontinence I'm talking about take a look in a match day thread when the opposition score a goal!

Yes, though I maintain we were prone to booing irrationally long before social media came along. And let's be honest, Tuesday wasn't a complete disaster. We're spared a game at the weekend and if we're at the end of a five game slump then at least two of those games came in the Cup and we got six points from the three league games. As for Huddersfield itself; Wellens was better than in the first game, Gallagher, James and he will have gained match fitness and we perhaps learned a lesson with Futacs and the other strike options.

If you boo your own team then i rather expect you are the kind of parent likely to boo your own kid for losing the egg and spoon race. In which case you shouldn't be having children and i'd rather you didn't try to communicate with lcfc players.

I wouldn't chant maniacally from the sidelines either, or pay thirty quid for the privilege. But point taken.

As a High School teacher I once found myself at a feeder Primary's sports day event and found it very darkly amusing to see one or two parents actually heckling their kids. A little piece of me died that day.

There is a time and place. I very, very rarely Boo our own side but I remember doing it at home against Cardiff Under Levein (As well as shouting Levein out at the top of my voice) and I did it because I wanted him gone, sometimes it's just the right thing to do to show the club that you as a group of fans you have lost patience.

Doing it on Tuesday was stupid though.

This, and inckley Fox, have stated it perfectly or me. Tangible lack of effort, or sustained poor performances/signings/results etc are just causes. I guess this was pretty much the answer I was hoping for.

So at this point, where our season is going better than most people hoped at the start and where the bulk of criticism is for lack of class or form rather than effort, maybe the question is what are people hoping to achieve now? A change of manager? Getting rid of players? I guess the answer will be the boos are supposed to incite more visible effort. Oddly, I'm expecting this mostly from the same people who slag off Vardy and Waghorn, both of whose effort levels are beyond reproach...

Again, no agenda or vitriol, just want to understand fellow fans...

/edit: Failed to acknowledge the 'people just do it' responses, Col and Brett, which are absolutely fair. I suppose I was aiming this more at the motivation of people who say it's their right to boo (which it absolutely is), I just wanted to to know why, if they think about it, they choose to.

Did you hear the numpty on Tuesday after the match, one of the last callers he said something like 'well we have got Wigan next week in the second leg of the cup'.

This was after he struggled to get a sentence together about the game that night, no doubt wasn't even there and these get on my tits as well. How can you phone in to comment on a game you weren't at but either listened too or watched on TV instead.

If you weren't there you have no right to grumble.

The phone in is always the same, most callers know nothing, or just say stupid things, thinking we are going to get relegated and Pearson is not good enough.

Always been like that, then the people who listen to it complain about it, if you don't like it don't listen to it is my motto.

i dont boo , but ive never clapped a bad performer off nor do i lick ass . how can i be positive about the last two games ? i am also honest , we were awlful from the manager to the subs . surely foxestalk is for that talk , surely i can moan to others that had to pay to watch shit in the freezing cold , even soft twat nugent would stand for that talk ?

The phone in is always the same, most callers know nothing, or just say stupid things, thinking we are going to get relegated and Pearson is not good enough.

Always been like that, then the people who listen to it complain about it, if you don't like it don't listen to it is my motto.

That's a crap motto if you don't mind me saying so.

Couldn't you have thought of something more inspirational such as "Death Before Dishonour" or " Through Wisdom Lies Liberty"

Maybe it would sound better in latin .

Couldn't you have thought of something more inspirational such as "Death Before Dishonour" or " Through Wisdom Lies Liberty"

Si non placet audire non

No, even in latin with a fancy font, it's still wank

You're on a roll today !

Archived