Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

Serious Question

I'm genuinely interested in this. When people boo players, phone phone-ins to complain, tweet at players etc., what are you hoping to achieve? Not so much posting on here, but giving negative feedback that is likely to reach the players and/or managers.

I'm not questioning your right to do so, nor asking when it is/isn't appropriate, just wondering what you hope the outcome will be?

Thanks...

Booing after the whistle is just a way to show displeasure about what you've seen, let the club, manager or players know you're unhappy. That's always the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned, move on & everyone look to better things to come, hopefully.

The phone-in is no different to online really, it pre-dates forums like this becoming popular

As for Tweeting players, people always say stuff they'd never say in real life, never seems that appropriate to me & if it's just moaning or being derogatory in some way, it is highly, highly counter-productive.

It's not all that complicated. People think that by voicing their anger they'll either shake players from their easy stupor or awaken the manager / board to the need for change. So if it makes picking, say, Vardy harder for Pearson, or if it encourages Konchesky to answer his critics, then it may work.

I'm worried, however, that you equate someone ringing the phone-in (which I've never done, but which in theory isn't all that far off writing on a forum) with booing a player, which I don't do.

However, while it's not my personal choice there is still a clear logic to it. When fans booed De Vries, Blake, Clapham, Lewis, Lee Marshall or anyone else it served to remind the manager that, while said player might be high in their estimation, it isn't the case with everyone else. I've seen a few players hounded out of the team by such an approach and can't say it's always been a problem.

I don't want to add the usual point that fans at all the big clubs boo when they are playing badly, but would like to remind you that there was plenty of sporadic booing when the atmosphere at Filbert Street was at its best, and one manager actively encouraged it, saying that 'some noise is better than no noise' and that it reminds players that expectations are high.

Surely it's expressing disapproval with the performance?

I don't do it personally but I can totally understand certain people who did last year when they saw the effort of the likes of Beckford whilst it was costing them a few days wages to take the family down.

Doing it when you are having a great season and achieving expectations is beyond daft though.

it's not a serious question though is it. it's your way of saying that booing is pointless. it's like asking "if you have a bad holiday, what are you hoping to achieve by going on trip advisor and complaining". you're hoping to let the people that can do something about it know that the product wasn't good enough. in this case the product being the performance of the team. sadly now that football is a business and players are earning vast sums of money, is a product, and hence expectations are higher. you wouldn't boo your kids on a Sunday morning because its not a product you're consuming, it's a bit of fun, which is what football should be.

Booing after the whistle is to, in my opinion, highlight your opinion about the performance you have just seen. Nothing wrong with that, I've always said that, because fans pay the money. The phone in is just another form of a forum, it's like when people post on here critisizing players. Again, I can't see nothing wrong with it. Tweeting players abuse is what I've never understood. I haven't got twitter anyway like, but I certainly wouldn't target an individual about his performance.

I'm genuinely interested in this. When people boo players, phone phone-ins to complain, tweet at players etc., what are you hoping to achieve? Not so much posting on here, but giving negative feedback that is likely to reach the players and/or managers.

I'm not questioning your right to do so, nor asking when it is/isn't appropriate, just wondering what you hope the outcome will be?

Thanks...

Boooo ! What a rubbish question. Boooo !!! Boooo ! OxfordFox83 out, OxfordFox83 out !! Boooooo !!!!!!!! :)

Guest BlueBrett

The only player I have ever booed is Beckford and that **** had it coming. He knew it was aimed specifically at him too because I started off with an intro that went something like this "OI Beckford you lazy ****..BOOOOOO"

I think asking people what they hope to achieve by booing is little different to asking what they hope to achieve by cheering and chanting really. In all but exceptional circumstances both make literally **** all difference to what happens on the pitch. I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed when people boo the team but that is probably just me being delicate and I doubt it really has much impact on the players. It's still their career in the balance every time they play so they can hardly just decide to be rubbish to spite the boo boys.

it's not a serious question though is it. it's your way of saying that booing is pointless. it's like asking "if you have a bad holiday, what are you hoping to achieve by going on trip advisor and complaining". you're hoping to let the people that can do something about it know that the product wasn't good enough. in this case the product being the performance of the team. sadly now that football is a business and players are earning vast sums of money, is a product, and hence expectations are higher. you wouldn't boo your kids on a Sunday morning because its not a product you're consuming, it's a bit of fun, which is what football should be.

It is actually. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to guess that I don't do it (if I did, I wouldn't be asking), but I genuinely don't understand what people hope to achieve in doing it.

The answers have been broadly helpful, in the sense that most people booing are either trying to chastise the players in the hope of better performances, or let the manager know that a certain player(s) are not popular.

It is my view that booing is more likely to make good players/managers leave, keep confidence and performance low or give prospective players incentive to join a less knee jerk club. Nothing written so far has changed that. But it really isn't my opinion that I'm interested in and I appreciate the posts that have been made. Hopefully people continue, as someone might yet make a really compelling case for it. Cheers.

remember the days before social media and even t'internet?! You might hear the pub bore droning on with his opinions about this and that and what is wrong with the club , you might get the odd boo or invective at a game- now the whole world knows what some of these gobshites think ("think" might be overstating it a bit)

The only player I have ever booed is Beckford and that **** had it coming. He knew it was aimed specifically at him too because I started off with an intro that went something like this "OI Beckford you lazy ****..BOOOOOO"

I think asking people what they hope to achieve by booing is little different to asking what they hope to achieve by cheering and chanting really. In all but exceptional circumstances both make literally **** all difference to what happens on the pitch. I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed when people boo the team but that is probably just me being delicate and I doubt it really has much impact on the players. It's still their career in the balance every time they play so they can hardly just decide to be rubbish to spite the boo boys.

With support like that sort of makes you wonder why he wanted out of the club really.

It is actually. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to guess that I don't do it (if I did, I wouldn't be asking), but I genuinely don't understand what people hope to achieve in doing it.

The answers have been broadly helpful, in the sense that most people booing are either trying to chastise the players in the hope of better performances, or let the manager know that a certain player(s) are not popular.

It is my view that booing is more likely to make good players/managers leave, keep confidence and performance low or give prospective players incentive to join a less knee jerk club. Nothing written so far has changed that. But it really isn't my opinion that I'm interested in and I appreciate the posts that have been made. Hopefully people continue, as someone might yet make a really compelling case for it. Cheers.

There is a time and place. I very, very rarely Boo our own side but I remember doing it at home against Cardiff Under Levein (As well as shouting Levein out at the top of my voice) and I did it because I wanted him gone, sometimes it's just the right thing to do to show the club that you as a group of fans you have lost patience.

Doing it on Tuesday was stupid though.

Guest BlueBrett

With support like that sort of makes you wonder why he wanted out of the club really.

It was at full time at Peterborough away last season when he stood on the half way line with his hands on his hips when we were 1-0 down and had a 93rd minute free kick about to be launched into the box. I wanted him to want out because that was it for me. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

We've already made a compelling case for why people boo, it will be harder to make a compelling case for it being a constructive thing to do.

From a devil's advocate perspective, I'd say that the intense boos aimed at Pleat in 90-91 led to his sacking (Shipman didn't want to pull the trigger and himself resigned when forced to make the decision) and, indirectly, to the appointment of Little. Similar episodes may have contributed, albeit to a less obvious extent, to the departures of Taylor and Levein.

Booing the board in 1999 definitely helped crush the 'Gang of Four' takeover and, as a consequence, gave us six more months of O'Neill, a top ten finish and a League Cup.

The fans have played a part in several clearly substandard players leaving or being dropped: Lee Marshall under Adams, De Vries and Maybury under Kelly spring to mind. They have also led to some players apparently trying to prove their critics wrong - Ormondroyd had a very good spell in 93-94 after publicly stating that he wanted to make a point. The same could go for Gilchrist in 99 and Kisnorbo a few years back.

Even managers arguably respond well to booing. The run which led to making the play-offs in 94 came after a fierce attack on Little at half-time against, I think, Notts County. You might even point to the Sheffield United game in 96 as a turning point for O'Neill, or the Burton game this season for Pearson.

There's a counter-argument for pretty much all of the above (at the time I was furious at the way Little and O'Neill were treated, even Megson whose exit may have caused our relegation in 08, and felt we undermined several important players like Oldfield and Guppy by booing them) but when you look at how a team like Barcelona responds to half-time boos, it would appear that it's not always detrimental.

Thanks...

just venting a bit of frustration, its safer than beating the wife.

remember the days before social media and even t'internet?! You might hear the pub bore droning on with his opinions about this and that and what is wrong with the club , you might get the odd boo or invective at a game- now the whole world knows what some of these gobshites think ("think" might be overstating it a bit)

You're kidding aren't you? I remember planes carrying 'Pleat out' banners in the early 90s and after-match protests in which windows were smashed and managers obliged to speak to the mob as late as the O'Neill era.

Archived