Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DontSellKnockaert

4-2-3-1....

This is the formation that everyone is playing at the moment, with two holding midfielders and then three attacking midfielders then a striker up by himself. Palace have played a similar formation this season and that's meant that Glen Murray has had great service from the flanks with Bolassie and Zaha, then defensively they've done well with Jedinak and Dickagio (however you spell his name)

This is the formation that everyone is playing at the moment, with two holding midfielders and then three attacking midfielders then a striker up by himself. Palace have played a similar formation this season and that's meant that Glen Murray has had great service from the flanks with Bolassie and Zaha, then defensively they've done well with Jedinak and Dickagio (however you spell his name)

we played it when kane came on at cardiff and he looked good in it, when james is back i'd like to play that with king playing behind the striker

For me against Millwall, I would go back to 4-4-2, and assuming everyone is fit:

Kasper

Konchesky

St Ledger

Morgan

De Laet

Schlupp

James

Drinkwater

Knockaert

Wood

Nugent

Some big if's there, but think that could be a creative side and I think we have tried changing formations and it isn't doing anything for us. The big question is will Pearson be in charge?

We don't have the players to play this formation, which of our two centre mids would you class as being defensive?

Just because they play that formation doesn`t mean we have the player`s to implement it aswell.

We have the right players for that, no problem.

The holding players are not purely defensive, there are 2 of them after all, any pairing of King, Drinkwater or James would be fine. With 3 attacking players in front of them and runners from fullback, De Laet and Schlupp preferably, they would have attacking options aplenty and no real need to get that far forward.

They must not sit too deep though, support the front 4 by all means, just keep an eye out for who needs the cover, usually the fullbacks.

Sadly I do not think NFP has a clue how to play that style properly, we actually got quite close earlier in the season when Knockaert and Marshall were given some freedom to roam but that was entirely accidental and too rich for NFP who quickly knocked it on the head.

Why?

Serious question.

Because when we have had two up front it has worked for the majority of the season.

That's what got us in the play-offs in the first place, for me the formation we have been playing now often turns into a 4-5-1, we have played it before and it is the most frustrating formation I have seen us play. Wood basically becomes a lone striker, up on his own and he struggles.

Therefore I think he needs a partner to help him, him and Kane were excellent together against Blackburn, they haven't partnered each other since, while Nugent and Wood has also worked at times.

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Keane

Konchesky (preferable anyone else but lets ignore that)

James

Wellens/King/Drinky

Marshall

Knockaert

Schlupp

Wood/Nugent

Exactly how I'd go..

Bring natural width back. Nugent is not a winger so he could play central in this formation (or Wood). Schlupp over Dyer for me as well. James and Drinkwater covering.

Because when we have had two up front it has worked for the majority of the season.

That's what got us in the play-offs in the first place, for me the formation we have been playing now often turns into a 4-5-1, we have played it before and it is the most frustrating formation I have seen us play. Wood basically becomes a lone striker, up on his own and he struggles.

Therefore I think he needs a partner to help him, him and Kane were excellent together against Blackburn, they haven't partnered each other since, while Nugent and Wood has also worked at times.

Extremely fair comment, 4-4-2 once we allowed Knockaert and Marshall the licence to be creative was by far the best we have played this season, sadly with our recent, 'tucked in to keep the shape' formation nothing is working.

I does not alter the fact that we are a natural fit for 4-2-3-1, all we need is a coach who knows how to play it........ :thumbup:

Archived