Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Nugent needs to up his game.

What has amazed me during this bad run is how little criticism has been put at the door of Nugent.

His performance against Brighton was his first committed performance since January. Since the end of Jan his performances have been atrocious, he has lacked quality, he has lacked goals, but more importantly there has been no desire.

That is the main positive of Nugent's game, 90 minutes of endless work for the team, but it simply hasn't been the case the past few months. We know he has it in his locker, so to not see the effort has been disappointing.

I am sure that plenty will offer excuses....'He is being played out wide' etc. But that is the position he played when he had his first and only ever season of scoring 20 goals. 0 goals in 13 games, in a position which is not uncommon to him is a poor return, the worse thing is, i doubt he has even had 13 shots in total over the 13 games.

Some of you will point out that Wood is not as committed just because he does not run about a lot, which is simply untrue. I even watched him for a number of games whilst on loan at Birmingham and he is very mobile for his size. He is a finisher, and has the ability to run in behind and anticipate where the ball will go, but with the creativity of a side playing like a league 2 side lately, it is no wonder he is not scoring goals. You only have to look at Van Persie at the level above, and Kevin Phillips/Charlie Austin at this level to realise playing as a striker is not all about running around. But when you have already proved that you have the energy in your locker to become a pest up front, you must continue to show it even in times of poor form.

Nugent is the most expeirenced forward in our squad and he needs to stand up and take more responsibility.

Again, no service from midfield and has been playing out of position. He needs to be central... Are you referring to Preston with the 20 goal statement? I always thought they played him as the central striker.

But everybody does need to up their game, as above.

I hope they don't.

If they up their game much more they will both be in the Premier League next season....without us!

Prior to his sending off Morgan's game had definitely dipped and there's plenty of aspects of Kasper's game that he could improve on particularly his distribution. That they were still performing better than most does not mean they don't need to up their game.

The whole team is responsible for our current bad run.

I hope they don't.

If they up their game much more they will both be in the Premier League next season....without us!

I think some people overrate some of our players. Kasper could certainly improve some of his game. There are many goalkeepers avaliable that are just as good as him... Steele (Barnsley) is a good example.

He's 26 and has only played regular in the first and second tier (for Notts County, Leeds and Leicester).

Again, no service from midfield and has been playing out of position. He needs to be central... Are you referring to Preston with the 20 goal statement? I always thought they played him as the central striker.

Behave, he has been up front all bleeding season!

He was put up front with Wood, and he didn't perform.

Looks like he doesn't want to play second fiddle, and hasn't tried in a game for 2-3 months until brighton where Wood didn't start.

Terrible attitude IMO.

Behave, he has been up front all bleeding season!

He was put up front with Wood, and he didn't perform.

Looks like he doesn't want to play second fiddle, and hasn't tried in a game for 2-3 months until brighton where Wood didn't start.

Terrible attitude IMO.

I'm not defending his poor recent form, but it's not just him is it? Plus, he has been up front, but when he was scoring (or at least on a decent scoring run), he was more central. In recent/some games, he has been upfront, but pushed wide in a '433'. I used quotation marks because we seem to play 451 more often than not, where Nugent is one of those wingers. He isn't a winger.

But as I said, I'm not defending Nugent, or any player, for this run of form.

What has amazed me during this bad run is how little criticism has been put at the door of Nugent.

His performance against Brighton was his first committed performance since January. Since the end of Jan his performances have been atrocious, he has lacked quality, he has lacked goals, but more importantly there has been no desire.

That is the main positive of Nugent's game, 90 minutes of endless work for the team, but it simply hasn't been the case the past few months. We know he has it in his locker, so to not see the effort has been disappointing.

I am sure that plenty will offer excuses....'He is being played out wide' etc. But that is the position he played when he had his first and only ever season of scoring 20 goals. 0 goals in 13 games, in a position which is not uncommon to him is a poor return, the worse thing is, i doubt he has even had 13 shots in total over the 13 games.

Some of you will point out that Wood is not as committed just because he does not run about a lot, which is simply untrue. I even watched him for a number of games whilst on loan at Birmingham and he is very mobile for his size. He is a finisher, and has the ability to run in behind and anticipate where the ball will go, but with the creativity of a side playing like a league 2 side lately, it is no wonder he is not scoring goals. You only have to look at Van Persie at the level above, and Kevin Phillips/Charlie Austin at this level to realise playing as a striker is not all about running around. But when you have already proved that you have the energy in your locker to become a pest up front, you must continue to show it even in times of poor form.

Nugent is the most expeirenced forward in our squad and he needs to stand up and take more responsibility.

Not sure if I can take anything you say seriously after you started a thread on Saturday blaming Andy King for our draw with Brighton lol

He's a fans favourite so he's immune from criticism. I am a Nugent fan, but no goals in what, at least 8 games now, is appalling for a centre forward.

He generally offers a decent amount even when he doesn't score, but he needs to start earning his wage again because he's been awful lately. I said before Saturday I wouldn't be against either him or Wood being dropped.

He needs to be played as a centre forward.

This...

In addition, look at the Championship league table of the top 25 'assisters'. Only Marshall appears and he's well down.

Both Wood and Nuge are suffering from a poor midfield who cannot pick a pass to assist enough goals. The quality of the supply is poor in this team.

the midfield has been poor, poor possession, poor defensively, poor give and go, poor picking out quick forward passes, poor crosses, just poor really. they have all decided to hit a bad run of form together, no more 1-2, no more slick attacking play, just negative, frightened square balls. no way any attacker would thrive the way knock, drink, marsh, king have been playing.

I think the whole teams performance is akin to Torres when he moved from Liverpool to Chelsea? At Liverpool he scored 65 goals between 2007 and 2011. Since then he's only score 14 goals?

Mind you he's on £9 million a year.....!!!

Inconsistency has been the form this season, and it looks likely to continue.

The players certainly need to look at themselves more closely, and even consider are they worth what they get paid?

the midfield has been poor, poor possession, poor defensively, poor give and go, poor picking out quick forward passes, poor crosses, just poor really. they have all decided to hit a bad run of form together, no more 1-2, no more slick attacking play, just negative, frightened square balls. no way any attacker would thrive the way knock, drink, marsh, king have been playing.

Agree the midfield is our biggest weekends

Ha ha ment weekness

He's a fans favourite so he's immune from criticism. I am a Nugent fan, but no goals in what, at least 8 games now, is appalling for a centre forward.

He generally offers a decent amount even when he doesn't score, but he needs to start earning his wage again because he's been awful lately. I said before Saturday I wouldn't be against either him or Wood being dropped.

More than that, Wolves was his last goal I think.

Archived