Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Who is a good manager in the championship

Why is everyone saying Powell would be a good replacement for Pearson??

It is amazing how short-term peoples memories are. We got to the play-offs during our first season back at this level when there was a much higher standard, Powell has only got Charlton to mid-table.

As for who is a good manager at this level??

I think Di Canio made a good point about this the other day, without a squad with quality it does not matter how good a manager is. If Bristol City had Mourinho or Fergie in charge this season they would not have got promoted.

Holloway got promotion with Blackpool, Martin Allen has got promotion with Gillingham, Micky Adams has got promotion with Port Vale.

All managers who we deem as 'not great' managers.

Ive always thought adams did a decent job for us

I think the standard of manager in the Champ is actually pretty dreadful. For me, Steve Bruce is a bang average manager, decent but ultimately very limited but in this league he's made to look good.

Steve Bruce has got an unfair press for me especially in recent times. Granted it went a bit pearshaped towards the end at Sunderland. But before that they were mid table respectability. He was also in charge of Birmingham and took them to a top ten finish in the Premiership their highest finish in decades and kept them there for 4 seasons. He took them down but got them automatically back up before leaving. He then took Wigan to an 11th place finish in the Premiership which was credible achievement. He has now got Hull back in the big time against all expectations. He has achieved more as a manager than most in the Championship.

Great managers:

Malky Mackay

Steve Bruce

Gus Poyet

Brian McDermott

Zola (maybe)

Good managers:

Mick Mccarthy

Billy Davies

Nigel Pearson

Neil Warnock

Nigel Adkins

Dougie Freedman

Possibly good managers:

Chris Powell

Mark Robins

Lee Clarke

David Flitcroft

Sean O'Driscal

Darren Ferguson

Nigel Clough

Sean Dyche

Dave Jones

Dean Saunders

Kenny Jackett

Tony Mowbray

Managers i'm not keen on:

Ian Holloway

Michael Appleton

I've probably missed a few.

You've got Adkins in the wrong bracket there he's a top manager probably the best on the list when you take in to account the money he spent at Scunny then Southampton!

You've got Adkins in the wrong bracket there he's a top manager probably the best on the list when you take in to account the money he spent at Scunny then Southampton!

But Blackpool had a similar budget to scunny, and they got promoted to the premier league

Roberto Di Matteo.

WTF? I don't get the RDM loving on here recently (in a few threads he's been mentioned a 'the man for the job'. He took a Chelsea team full of quality and made them doggedly defend for their lives and somehow - almost by the opponents failing as much as anything else - fluked a Champions League win. And yes, fluked is probably not far off being the right word when you consider how they did it. I don't believe it was won because of RDM but instead by the senior players knowing it was their last realistic chance (Terry + Lampard). I don't see him as somebody I'd want at the club.

WTF? I don't get the RDM loving on here recently (in a few threads he's been mentioned a 'the man for the job'. He took a Chelsea team full of quality and made them doggedly defend for their lives and somehow - almost by the opponents failing as much as anything else - fluked a Champions League win. And yes, fluked is probably not far off being the right word when you consider how they did it. I don't believe it was won because of RDM but instead by the senior players knowing it was their last realistic chance (Terry + Lampard). I don't see him as somebody I'd want at the club.

You can't fluke a Champions League win you muppet. You wouldn't want him at the club? I don't want morons like you at the club, your opinion is worthless.

You can't fluke a Champions League win you muppet. You wouldn't want him at the club? I don't want morons like you at the club, your opinion is worthless.

Fluke or not, have you seen the statistics for that final? I'd like to think with one of the most expensively assembled teams in the world you wouldn't need to rely on your opponents to fail to score more than one goal with 40 shots (including a missed penalty).

Edit: I'm not actually making any judgement on who I would/wouldn't like as a manager before someone goes mental at me.

Personally think RDM is the most overrated manager. He might actually be good but he is pretty unproven,

Yes he won the CL final but Peter Taylor got us top of the prem. I got the feeling RDM just let Terry, Lampard and Drogba run the roost and it worked in the short term.

In the end he got sacked after having to manage them in a proper season.

I've heard people rave about Nigel Clough but I've never found him to be "any good" if thats the right way to put it! Starts off well in the leagues but fades quite quickly and become a nothing team. The main criticism with it is that he's never had the money but if you ask me plenty of managers have master minded successful runs on budgets.

A decent championship manager? Gus Poyet although I'd consider him more of a premiership manager.

I felt he fluked it to be honest, all his tactics were is "parking" the bus and hit with a counter!

I've heard people rave about Nigel Clough but I've never found him to be "any good" if thats the right way to put it! Starts off well in the leagues but fades quite quickly and become a nothing team. The main criticism with it is that he's never had the money but if you ask me plenty of managers have master minded successful runs on budgets.

A decent championship manager? Gus Poyet although I'd consider him more of a premiership manager.

Agree with Gus Poyet, think he is a great manager and seems a nice bloke when he was on TV. Also think Clough is a wasteful manager, has no ambition, will come out at some point every season and say their aim is to stay up.

Think we're lucky in the sense we bought Wood for around the same price they bought Sammon. Good business.

Who?

I haven't heard any over the top praise since he joined Derby.

Archived