Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Who is a good manager in the championship

As the season draws near to it's conclusion just though i would gauge opinion on who you all think is a good manager at Championship level.

To get things in perspective this is not a Pearson out thread. Just who you believe is a good manager at this level.

Whether you like them or not but their results dictate and what they have achieved at this level. I will start Mick Mcarthy took over a struggling Ipswich side in the bottom three we stuffed em 6 1. They are now comfortably mid table so he is very good at this level, like him or not. For the record I don't.

To get things in perspective this is not a Pearson out thread.

I wouldn't bet it'll last more than a page or two in that state

Nige is man is still want as our manager next season.

But let's look at something... We're 7th. We can still make the play offs, it isn't season over. We don't need a different manager thread every week.

I suppose having not met any of them I can't really judge, but the following have promising records:

Malky Mackay

Steve Bruce

Gianfranco Zola

Gus Poyet

Ian Holloway

Dougie Freedman

Nigel Pearson

Billy Davies

Tony Mowbray

Chris Powell

Brian McDermott

Mick McCarthy

Kenny Jackett

Dave Jones

Mark Robins

Darren Ferguson

Keith Hill

Sean O'Driscoll

It was a very broad question, all in all I think there's only six that I'd say are either completely unproven or have dubious records.

Great managers:

Malky Mackay

Steve Bruce

Gus Poyet

Brian McDermott

Zola (maybe)

Good managers:

Mick Mccarthy

Billy Davies

Nigel Pearson

Neil Warnock

Nigel Adkins

Dougie Freedman

Possibly good managers:

Chris Powell

Mark Robins

Lee Clarke

David Flitcroft

Sean O'Driscal

Darren Ferguson

Nigel Clough

Sean Dyche

Dave Jones

Dean Saunders

Kenny Jackett

Tony Mowbray

Managers i'm not keen on:

Ian Holloway

Michael Appleton

I've probably missed a few.

none of them. they are all dog shit managers with dog shit ideas about football. HENCE why they are plying their trades down here and not up there in the promised land. good champ managers go on to be decent prem managers. Brendan Rodgers, Roberto Martinez. thats literally all i've got. a list of TWO! dog shit

none of them. they are all dog shit managers with dog shit ideas about football. HENCE why they are plying their trades down here and not up there in the promised land. good champ managers go on to be decent prem managers. Brendan Rodgers, Roberto Martinez. thats literally all i've got. a list of TWO! dog shit

Roberto Di Matteo.

Why is everyone saying Powell would be a good replacement for Pearson??

It is amazing how short-term peoples memories are. We got to the play-offs during our first season back at this level when there was a much higher standard, Powell has only got Charlton to mid-table.

As for who is a good manager at this level??

I think Di Canio made a good point about this the other day, without a squad with quality it does not matter how good a manager is. If Bristol City had Mourinho or Fergie in charge this season they would not have got promoted.

Holloway got promotion with Blackpool, Martin Allen has got promotion with Gillingham, Micky Adams has got promotion with Port Vale.

All managers who we deem as 'not great' managers.

Pearson shouldn't go, but if he does Chris Powell would be a much better replacement than a lot of the other candidates.

Why would Chris Powell leave a club he supports? anyway it wouldn't work Chris Powell did a fantastic job in guiding Charlton back to the championship and managed to get them a mid table finish but I can't see him doing anymore than that. Our next boss needs championship experience.

Why would Chris Powell leave a club he supports? anyway it wouldn't work Chris Powell did a fantastic job in guiding Charlton back to the championship and managed to get them a mid table finish but I can't see him doing anymore than that. Our next boss needs championship experience.

He probably wouldn't leave them. But so far he's done a very good job at Charlton, he's exceeded expectations so far and unlike the switch from Pearson to Sousa we'd be going for a similar sort of manager which would be beneficial. I think that Pearson should be staying, but I don't buy that any new manager would need more experience in the Championship than Powell currently has, Malky Mackay's record was nothing special before he got the Cardiff job.

I think the standard of manager in the Champ is actually pretty dreadful. For me, Steve Bruce is a bang average manager, decent but ultimately very limited but in this league he's made to look good.

He probably wouldn't leave them. But so far he's done a very good job at Charlton, he's exceeded expectations so far and unlike the switch from Pearson to Sousa we'd be going for a similar sort of manager which would be beneficial. I think that Pearson should be staying, but I don't buy that any new manager would need more experience in the Championship than Powell currently has, Malky Mackay's record was nothing special before he got the Cardiff job.

He may be doing a 'very good job', but its not as good as when pearson was here last time.

Would love to have seen Pearson's recruits with out current bunch, the morgan and hobbs aswell as wood and fryatt partnerships would have been interesting.

Archived