Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Alan Birchenall - Club Legend

I'm fascinated year upon year just how much this great man does for Leicester City Football Club, the community and local charities.

And for another year he's going to be doing his annual run on Friday.

It got me thinking - has the club ever thought of naming a stand after him? The Alan Birchenall Stand. Has a ring to it.

I, for one, think he deserves it.

And if he should read this - good luck on Friday, Birch!

I'm fascinated year upon year just how much this great man does for Leicester City Football Club, the community and local charities.

And for another year he's going to be doing his annual run on Friday.

It got me thinking - has the club ever thought of naming a stand after him? The Alan Birchenall Stand. Has a ring to it.

I, for one, think he deserves it.

And if he should read this - good luck on Friday, Birch!

I don't think he deserves to have a stand but maybe something smaller would be good.

Mr Leicester City in many ways. Done great things for the club, not matter how cringy at times his plea before the game is or his half time antics, its all for the good of his club. I imagine, that when he is no longer with us, the idea of a stand after him may come about. I'd be in favour for it. Good old Birch

Knowing this club though, if we did name a stand after him it would be soon known by the name of a sponsoring company, I'm pretty sure the family stand is ' The Gary Lineker Stand'? But is it ever referred to as that? No. I wish this club would keep up with other clubs in that respect, Forest have The Brian Clough Stand, United have The Alex Ferguson Stand, and so on and so on. Same thing regarding statues, we have so many great former players, Shilton, Banks, Lineker, Weller etc. Why, especially in Weller's case haven't we built a statue? I cringe every time i see our stadium, it looks like a cheap lego toy that a 6 year old kid has randomly stuck stickers all over.

Got nothing against the man or what he does, but he is an employee of the club. What he does is just his job. It's not like he is doing it for free. He does it because it beats working in a warehouse packing boxes.

I have to say i agree and let's not forget although he may be the one running around the pitch it's the fans that have dug deep into their pockets to give the money.

I wouldn't even class him as a club legend to me the status is earned on the pitch but i guess other people have different measures.

I must be miserable bastard too.

Guest MattP

Got nothing against the man or what he does, but he is an employee of the club. What he does is just his job. It's not like he is doing it for free. He does it because it beats working in a warehouse packing boxes.

Have to agree with this.

We all love the Birch but this is his job, his charity work is great and he has been rightly awarded various awards for it.

Naming of stands etc though has to come from achievement on the football pitch.

Maybe a toilet block.

Never liked the guy as a player and didn't much care for him whenever I met him later on.

He earns a good wedge for doing sweet FA though - I'll give him credit for that.

He was my least favourite player of the Bloomfield era , hated he way he regularly gave the ball away

And stood there laughing. When we bought him ,the Spurs boss was reported to have said ,"£100,000

Pound for a night club singer"! Which was about right.

Since he came back to work for the club it's impossible not to admire his charity work ,so maybe, as languedoc

Suggested a bar would be more appropriate.

yeah , all the charity work he gets paid for doesnt he . and the funerals he goes to too ! twat !

Guest MattP

yeah , all the charity work he gets paid for doesnt he . and the funerals he goes to too ! twat !

Really? He's fiddling?

Met him before the millwall game, shook my hand and said we need it to go our way tonight, huge passion for the club, you could see it meant something and he wanted to see a battle and 3 points, if half of the squad showed the same grit and determination we would be promoted by now.

Nice thought naming a stand after him but I think the club might want to leave the naming rights open to 'The King Power Singha Beer East Asia Air South Stand' In a £10 million sponsorship deal next season just encase we don't win our next 5 games

I know most people see him as great.

I see him as the next to be arrested in the jimmy saville case if im honest. Hes an arrogant dirty old man.

I certainly wouldnt want to sit in a stand named after him ahead of real quality players such as lineker, weller, banks, shilton. Even the naming of a bar is a bit much. Maybe a plaque in the woodies???

Guest MattP

I know most people see him as great.

I see him as the next to be arrested in the jimmy saville case if im honest. Hes an arrogant dirty old man.

I certainly wouldnt want to sit in a stand named after him ahead of real quality players such as lineker, weller, banks, shilton. Even the naming of a bar is a bit much. Maybe a plaque in the woodies???

Best post in the thread. lol

Good to see a range of feedback.

Not saying there should definitely, 100% be a stand named after him - it was a just a suggestion and was wondering if the club had thought of it. And if there was a stand named after him, then I also agree that other players of Leicester's past have a good case of having a stand named after them - Lineker, Banks, Weller especially.

Bayfox, your post did make me laugh!

Archived