Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshy5

How about Mick McCarthey?

The only managers we can realistically get unless we want to pay compensation are the free agents

RDM, MON, Mark Hughes and Owen Coyle are the standout names for me 3 of them have managed in both the championship and prem effectively.

Then Lennon if he wants a new challenge from the shennanigens in Scotland.

The only managers we can realistically get unless we want to pay compensation are the free agents

RDM, MON, Mark Hughes and Owen Coyle are the standout names for me 3 of them have managed in both the championship and prem effectively.

Surely not????

I wouldn't want McCarthy.

I think he's no better and in the same vein as Pearson.

Both are no-nonsense, dogmatic types who I feel are behind the times.

If we replace Pearson, I'd go for a younger, footballing manager who likes to play the ball on the floor, develop quick and slick passing teams that can unlock defences with pace and creativity.

Much like Watford did to us on Friday night in the first half.

Pearson and McCarthy are not tactically adept enough IMO to be anything more than run of the mill Championship managers. Throw into the mix numerous others... Warnock, Billy Davies, Sean O'Driscoll et al.

Barnsley have got a decent one I believe. Robins may well do a decent job at Huddersfield.

Lets get some freshness into the football club. Some fresh ideas, some modern thinking on how the game should be played.

That would be an improvement I believe and could develop a situation in which, should we be promoted, we'd have a decent chance of staying up.

Even if, by some miracle, we were to go up this season, I can't imagine Pearson cutting it in the Premiership. I believe we'd get slaughtered. The Prem is about pace, quality, attacking quickly on the break etc. We aren't like this. We are too methodical, rigid and ultimately, too easily sussed out.

RDM - Champions League winning manager - unrealistic

MON - Has not shown any signs of wanting to make a return when the manager's position has been vacant previously

Hughes - NO NO NO NO NO, can only spend money - badly and could potentially destroy any financial stability the club has

Coyle - Realistic but his recent record is poor so no improvement on Pearson IMO

Lennon - Guaranteed to win honours and manage in European competition at his current club for at least another two seasons so why would he come here?

Any more?

RDM - Champions League winning manager - unrealistic

MON - Has not shown any signs of wanting to make a return when the manager's position has been vacant previously

Hughes - NO NO NO NO NO, can only spend money - badly and could potentially destroy any financial stability the club has

Coyle - Realistic but his recent record is poor so no improvement on Pearson IMO

Lennon - Guaranteed to win honours and manage in European competition at his current club for at least another two seasons so why would he come here?

Any more?

Curbishely?

Foreign managers route

Marcus Babbell

Solskaer

Worked wonders at ipswich considering the mess they were in when he took over. Also knows how to get a team out of this league. I reckon we could tempt him away from ipswich. Thoughts? Ps pearson bummers thoughts not not welcome!

Why don't you grow up fella? This forum is for all points of view surely? I personally am sick of this hater/lover scenario, at present we still, incredibly,have everything to play for! NP is still our manager so this thread is as pointless as you and your pathetic bummer comment.

Curbishely?

Foreign managers route

Marcus Babbell

Solskaer

Curbishley - he is admittedly a decent manager but has not managed for five years now which is a long time to be out of the game at this level. Not sure how many job offers he's getting but there must be a reason he's not had work for such a long time.

Babbel & Solskjaer - hasn't Babbel been sacked from three different German teams now? In any case, any foreign manager would almost certainly make wholesale changes, something which the club just doesn't need at the moment. We need stability and the current squad to be tweaked, not overhauled.

I can only see the benefit in getting rid of NP if one of the unrealistic but clear improvement options suddenly became realistic. Otherwise, I think there is more to be gained by sticking with him for the time being.

Worked wonders at ipswich considering the mess they were in when he took over. Also knows how to get a team out of this league. I reckon we could tempt him away from ipswich. Thoughts? Ps pearson bummers thoughts not not welcome!

Don't call people who support the manager 'bummers'... Everyone is welcome to comment on every thread because this is a forum, and it doesn't matter what his/her opinion is because it's their opinion and this is a forum to discuss things. It's what it's here for.

In terms of McCarthy, he has done an excellent job at turning Ipswich around. Why would he want to come here when he is still in the process of his Ipswich job? He wouldn't. So, next.

Two automatic promotions with different clubs, kept Wolves up and fighting, and had he been the Ipswich boss from the start of the season they'd be top 6, despite inheriting a woeful squad that were getting hit for six. McCarthy is not similar to Pearson, McCarthy has this division clocked. If we don't go for him there will only be 2 promotion spots available next season because Ipswich will have their names on one.

How many years has Mcarthy been managing in the Championship compared with Pearson?

Guest BlueBrett

I've always liked Mick but can't shake the impression that he's a bit thick. Not sure. I'd probably take him over most of the other names being mentioned.

Mark Hughes.........NO WAY!!!! Never developed a squad SPEND SPEND SPEND would destroy this team/squad and club.

Mark Hughes.........NO WAY!!!! Never developed a squad SPEND SPEND SPEND would destroy this team/squad and club.

Completely agree with this. By his track record, appointing Mark Hughes would have the potential to be completely disastrous for the long term future of the club. Can't understand why his name keeps getting mentioned or how he has managed to keep getting employment all these years.

How many years has Mcarthy been managing in the Championship compared with Pearson?

Since ROI job:

03/04 - Sunderland - Play-offs

04/05 - Sunderland - Champions

06/07 - Wolves - Play-offs

07/08 - Wolves - 7th on Goal Difference

08/09 - Wolves - Champions

12/13 - Ipswich - 1.6 points per game

A bit of an unrealistic name but what about Rafa? He will be out of work come the end of the PL campaign. I know he might demand high wages, but I think he would bring the kind of football that we long to see. And he would also keep us in the prem.

But like I said I think he wages would be far too high for us (and maybe not big enough of a club sadly)

Guest BlueBrett

I agree and I feel the same about the others mentioned in the post you replied to.

RDM would have no interest in being here and feel like he was doing us a favour. Also not convinced he'd have the stomach for a full season or longer in the Championship.

MON seems to have lost his spark. Not just basing that on this season either, he has looked increasingly tired over the last few years and at times comes across as a bit meek and desperate. Not the same man we knew and loved.

As for Coyle, I'm amazed anyone would even suggest him. What has he done? One flash in the pan season with Burnley who he promptly dumped mid season to take over and relegate Bolton? Not exactly a gleaming record. I think he behaves like a conceited little willy puller at times too.

I agree and I feel the same about the others mentioned in the post you replied to.

RDM would have no interest in being here and feel like he was doing us a favour.

MON seems to have lost his spark. Not just basing that on this season either, he has looked increasingly tired over the last few years and at times comes across as a bit meek and desperate. Not the same

I agree

I've said before that McCarthy would be my first choice. Anybody who thinks he is no better than Pearson isn't looking at the evidence. He knows how to get out of this league. Ipswich are nailed on for the top six at least with him in charge next season.

I wouldn't want McCarthy.

I think he's no better and in the same vein as Pearson.

Both are no-nonsense, dogmatic types who I feel are behind the times.

If we replace Pearson, I'd go for a younger, footballing manager who likes to play the ball on the floor, develop quick and slick passing teams that can unlock defences with pace and creativity.

Much like Watford did to us on Friday night in the first half.

Pearson and McCarthy are not tactically adept enough IMO to be anything more than run of the mill Championship managers. Throw into the mix numerous others... Warnock, Billy Davies, Sean O'Driscoll et al.

Barnsley have got a decent one I believe. Robins may well do a decent job at Huddersfield.

Lets get some freshness into the football club. Some fresh ideas, some modern thinking on how the game should be played.

That would be an improvement I believe and could develop a situation in which, should we be promoted, we'd have a decent chance of staying up.

Even if, by some miracle, we were to go up this season, I can't imagine Pearson cutting it in the Premiership. I believe we'd get slaughtered. The Prem is about pace, quality, attacking quickly on the break etc. We aren't like this. We are too methodical, rigid and ultimately, too easily sussed out.

Think Mick McCarthy would be insulted by these two statements, and to be honest I wouldn't blame him. His record at this level is far, far superior to a 'run of the mill' record. He might have a more traditional style, but clearly he still enforces it effectively. Approximately, Ipswich would be 4th if he'd been there from the start of the season, and given the fact Jewell wasted some very comfortable fixtures before he got chopped, added with the fact McCarthy inherited a terrible squad with none of his own players in it, I'd wager that they'd actually be higher than 4th.

Since ROI job:

03/04 - Sunderland - Play-offs

04/05 - Sunderland - Champions

06/07 - Wolves - Play-offs

07/08 - Wolves - 7th on Goal Difference

08/09 - Wolves - Champions

12/13 - Ipswich - 1.6 points per game

Fair play thats not a bad record to be fair.

Archived