Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chairman of the Bored

Experience of the Play Offs?

How many of the City squad have experience of the play offs? Does it matter? Jonathon Hogg says few of the Watford team have any experience of POs http://www.watfordfc.com/news/article/130508-colney-chat-hogg-814140.aspx

Of our lot, King, Dyer and Gally were in the starting x1 that won in Cardiff in 2010 and Waggy came on. Other than that, I'm not sure.

But does it matter?

Squad. Well wellens was here then too and played his heart out at cardiff. But won't be involved. Logan was here. Other than that and the ones you have listed.

Wes must have played in them for fword. Did kasper play for leeds? Or was he not there then.

Nugent has at Preston, was Wood not at Birmingham last season? Konchesky has over the years i'm sure too.

Wood was at Birmingham but he was at Bristol City by then I think.

If they've been involved in any big games I think that's enough, sepcifically play-off experience isn't that important.

Previously playing at Wembley may help calm the nerves if we get there.

Wood was at Birmingham but he was at Bristol City by then I think.

If they've been involved in any big games I think that's enough, sepcifically play-off experience isn't that important.

Previously playing at Wembley may help calm the nerves if we get there.

Nugent got his goal for England at Wembley - a one foot tap in as I recall. That would do nicely tomorrow and in the final! 

Nugent got his goal for England at Wembley - a one foot tap in as I recall. That would do nicely tomorrow and in the final! 

I'm sure that was in Andorra.

So it won't prepare him for Wembley but it might prepare him for grounds like Vicarage Road ;)

Did he play there in the FA Cup Final for Pompey?

So it won't prepare him for Wembley but it might prepare him for grounds like Vicarage Road ;)

Yes he did, he came on as a sub I believe. He definitely played for Preston in the play-off's too.

You're half right - it was against Andorra in a game played at Barcelona, so maybe more akin to Wembley than Watford?

Dont think it matters. They should play it as they should play any other game. 110% effort and determination. We all know we dont cope well with pressure.

That's way too over-simplified and pretty naive imo. A lot of these lads are young and even the ones that aren't are still going to be very aware of the expectations, the pressure to perform well and the extent of their actions over the coming few games.

It varies by individual but even top players can be affected by it. It might not be an important factor but previous experience is definitely a factor in psychology when dealing with high pressure situations.

Reading that interview, the Watford lot seem to be talking a lot about 'putting Saturday's disappointment out of the way' where as all of our lads are buzzing from the mad scenes at Forest. We're gonna drill them.

Whitbread - Millwall - League One Play Offs , 2008/2009

Beckford - 2 x League One Play Offs with Leeds 2007/2008, 2008/2009

Schlupp - Brentford???

Had a feeling that Paul Konchesky played for Forest in the Play Off's but cannot find anything to back that up.

Wes Morgan - Forest Play Offs x 2 (def played against Swansea)

Nugent - Preston (losing semi final back in 2005-2006)

Wellens - Blackpool 2000/2001, Leicester (1st Leg against Cardiff)

Clutching at straws, but Logan was on the bench against Cardiff, both legs!!

Last but not least Nigel Pearson, I am guessing as a player but more importantly as a Manager. Not sure how many times Zola has managed in the Play Offs! :thumbup:

Not convinced it matters, although it could be a negative impact if the players who've experienced defeat in playoffs play with fear.

I'm interested in experience of seeing a game out, a few times recently we've been very naive

Jumping up from being fouled at Brighton and taking a pointlessly quick freekick (when nothing was on), taking quick throw-ins when we're winning, manager not using a sub to slow the game down at critical time 88th min or whatever, etc & etc

When we're in winning positions we seem to be awful at the negative side of the game which could make all the difference. The young lads are just too enthusiastic maybe

Hope we've learned to be less naive.

Yeh Schlupp played at Wembley in the JPT.

Morgan's actually had 3 play-off campaigns, 2 in this league and one in league 1.

Not exactly the kind of experience we want though:

>_<

You're half right - it was against Andorra in a game played at Barcelona, so maybe more akin to Wembley than Watford?

In Barcelona rather than at. It wasn't played at the Nou Camp, but espanyols ground. Still more akin to wembley, minus the crowd. We had the full length of one stand, half of the other oppositite and I think both stands behind the goal empty.

In Barcelona rather than at. It wasn't played at the Nou Camp, but espanyols ground. Still more akin to wembley, minus the crowd. We had the full length of one stand, half of the other oppositite and I think both stands behind the goal empty.

Archived