Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
katieakita

Tonight's officials.

Too many blatant decisions wrong:

- corner in the opening minutes missed

- gave a throw in Watford's way then changed his mind to us (didn't have a clue at first)

- Watford corner when I'm convinced it went out for a throw

- didn't give us the corner when Nugent's flick came of Doyley

- Anya dived for Schlupp's card

Off the top of my head, in a game of such importance, that's too many wrong.

Did well in as much as he let the game flow.

However, judgement of final touches was absolutely shocking. I counted 4 clear corners that were given as goal kicks, and so did 27,500 others in the ground. Quite a few suspect shouts for handball he let slide, though they could be put down as petty, so I take them as fair enough since it kept the game flowing and none of them really affected the game.

I will admit that he was poor for their sake as well - Schlupp should have gone. With the hindsight of Sky replays, however, Keane got the ball every day and should never have conceded a free kick, let alone get a yellow card.

Referees have an eerie tendency to stick up for other referees. But, from time to time, it makes me wonder whether that's precisely the problem: Namely that absolutely everyone who goes into the profession is entirely the wrong sort of person to go into it.

The ref was appalling. Straightforwardly. If everyone apart from referees can see that, then the wrong people are referees.

All those saying "he could've been worse, could've sent Schlupp off", he should've sent Schlupp off going by the rest of his decisions, so that was another he did very badly on.

There were just basic, basic things he kept missing. Handballs, clear corners/goalkicks (for both teams), a few free kicks for absolutely nothing. One time Wood went to plant his foot in the ground and slipped because it'd been raining for about 24 hours. No Watford player even attempted to challenge him. He hit the deck put his head in his hands because he knew he'd slipped and lost possession and this mongrel of a ref gave a foul. Just shocking all round.

And I notice Matt hasn't been in this thread, seen as he constantly assures me there's only ever complaints about the ref if we lose. Well what d'ya know Matt, we won and we've got 3 pages.

on the plus side he didn't send Schlupp off when he blatantly should have...

Would have been harsh but by the letter of the law we got way with one.

At the game I thought some of the bookings were harsh, having watched it back on TV the referee had a decent game overall apart from the odd missed corner.

Guest BlueBrett

The Keane booking was 100% correct, he went through the player to get the ball.

Schlupp caution was also correct, he deliberately pulled the player back, the second possible caution I think the ref also got right, was more of an accidental collision.

Overall, and speaking with 14 years experience as a referee, he did reasonably okay, although he missed some blatant ones for corners.

I thought Anya went down very easily for the Schlupp yellow.  I've seen a replay and Jeff puts his arm across him briefly but definitely doesn't pull him.  Free kick would have sufficed in my opinion but I'm happy to defer to your greater experience.  I was actually happy to see Anya go down and Schlupp take the card because it was a clear as day indication that Anya knew he couldn't do Jeff for pace.

The corners were a bit of a joke, especially the first one, but I'm usually more inclined to blame dodgy calls like that on the lino.  He was right next to it I can only think he was sending a text message or something at the time.  It's almost like they knew they were making bad calls because they just seemed to take the ear bashings they got from Knocky and Nuge on the chin.

Happens all the time when Premiership referees come down to the Championship. They don't understand the different dynamic in how the game flows compared to the Premiership and constantly think people are trying to con them.

Some of the booking last night were embarrassing. 

Thursday 9th May 2013

npower Championship Play-Off first leg

Leicester City v Watford

NEIL SWARBRICK

Harry Lennard and Ronald Ganfield

Fourth Official Roger East

Friday 10th May 2013

Crystal Palace v Brighton and Hove Albion

MICHAEL OLIVER

Michael McDonough and Adrian Holmes

Fourth Official Stuart Attwell

Sunday 12th May 2013

npower Championship Play-Off second leg

Watford v Leicester City (12:30)

PHILIP DOWD

Mark Scholes and Matthew Wilkes

Fourth Official Geoff Eltringham

Monday 13th May 2013

Brighton and Hove Albion v Crystal Palace

MARK CLATTENBURG

Steve Child and Gary Beswick

Thursday 9th May 2013

npower Championship Play-Off first leg

Leicester City v Watford

NEIL SWARBRICK

Friday 10th May 2013

npower Championship Play-Off first leg

MICHAEL OLIVER

Sunday 12th May 2013

npower Championship Play-Off second leg

PHILIP DOWD

Monday 13th May 2013

npower Championship Play-Off second leg

MARK CLATTENBURG

I'll just shut up now.

Thursday 9th May 2013

Leicester City v Watford

NEIL SWARBRICK

Friday 10th May 2013

MICHAEL OLIVER

Sunday 12th May 2013

PHILIP DOWD

Monday 13th May 2013

MARK CLATTENBURG

Seems we've done ok to avoid Clatenburg then!

Doubt it with a full programme of PL fixtures.  Hope you are right though, a game of this magnitude surely warrants a decent team of officials.

Nope. Phil Dowd is our ref on Sunday.

I've been told that it's Stuart Atwell.

Stuart Atwell has not been given a Watford ever since the phantom goal against Reading, I believe that the FA were politely told that he would not be welcome back at Watford

Archived