Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
corbyfox1884

The Golden Rule of Penalty Taking

With one sub left, I would have brought Marshall on, seriously. Knows how to score penalties, if he scores we've done it and if he misses then that's football, we continue not being able to make another sub.

In terms of what happened, nobody said anything to Knockaert. Disappointed me slightly. Knockaert obviously wanted it, he took the ball of of King. He made a mistake and missed, but should learn from this experience... In fact, all the team should learn from this; play better next season to win the league and avoid all of this 'drama'!

Did he? what a mistake if so King would of buried it.

Nobody argued and tried to take the ball off Knockaert. That either says it was agreed before the game that he would be the penalty taker, or nobody else had the minerals to step up and take it.

I agree, only Kane seemed to have anything to say about it and he was quickly brushed aside.

I got the impression Knockaert saw another chance to be a last minute hero and just had to take it. Other players just didn't want it IMO, only Knockaert had the confidence to put the ball down.

putting to one side for a minute the issue if whether it was a pen or not , everyone knows it is never a good idea to let the fouled player take the penalty . There were 10 other players on that pitch wearing blue shirts who should have had the balls to tell Knocky you aint taking it .

Surely Nige was blowing a gasket when he saw who was stepping up to take it - a ridiculous decision !!

Arent these things discussed in training as to who will take pens ?

where was Gally when we needed him the most ?

This wasnt a leicester pen , it was an own goal of the highest order to let that happen .. quite frankly I am scarred for life and cant cope any more ....I've always had a soft spot for the Tigers come to think of it ..

What a load of shit/

This is a silly debate really. Who are we to tell a professional how to take a penalty? The fact is Knocky or any professional footballer will but the ball wherever they like when the pressure is off. The trouble is the pressure pot makes the mind and body do some strange things. You could argue that somebody mentally strong should be taking the penalty but I do believe Knocky didn't fear taking it, it was just that the keeper guessed right and did what he was paid to do.

If Knocky had powered it down the middle and the keeper had just stood up and caught it we'd all still be slating him! Everyone's got a degree in hindsight....

I think that if you look at it from another angle - I'm quite excited that we have a young man (a kid really) in our squad with the self below and confidence to step up and take it. That's quite rare and special IMO. I just hope our fans don't turn on him now and it will make it even more special when he scores important goals in the future.

Don't change anything Knocky. The fact you were in a position to miss the penalty is what makes you special.

The fact is, particularly in such an important game as this, penalty tactics should have been considered before the game and reassessed again at halftime by the manager in conjunction with the captain.

All the players should be made aware of the situation and no-one individual, other than the captain, should pick the ball up in haste. 

We haven't learnt from our Cardiff comedy regarding penalties and that is a primarily a failure of the manager.

putting to one side for a minute the issue if whether it was a pen or not , everyone knows it is never a good idea to let the fouled player take the penalty . There were 10 other players on that pitch wearing blue shirts who should have had the balls to tell Knocky you aint taking it .

Surely Nige was blowing a gasket when he saw who was stepping up to take it - a ridiculous decision !!

Arent these things discussed in training as to who will take pens ?

where was Gally when we needed him the most ?

This wasnt a leicester pen , it was an own goal of the highest order to let that happen .. quite frankly I am scarred for life and cant cope any more ....I've always had a soft spot for the Tigers come to think of it ..

Well he wasn't actually fouled so there goes that arguement. lol

Rush of blood to head really seems it was more arrogance and a desire for it all to be about Anthony Knockaert than bravery that made him decide he was going to take it for me. His execution was little better than Kermits against Cardiff, horrid pen. Still thankfully he'll avoid the unwarranted abuse Kermit got due to his performances throughout the season.

In his defence I didn't see anyone (manager included) try to stop him.

WRONG. First rule of penalty taking is to hit the target. It wasnt a great pen but at least he made the keeper save it, to the extent he should have scored the rebound.

And to say Knockaert shouldn't have taken it is total bullocks. He obviously had the confidence and belief to think he'd score. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I have been telling all my Non LCFC mates that he missed because he was still realling from such a horrific foul. Nearly cut him in half, poor bloke was mugged, lucky to be alive.  :whistle: 

Problem will be with Knocky more than likely burying them each time in training. Pearson was probably quite happy with Knocky taking it. Just like NP picked Kermo to take one, in training he was burying them.

Pressure got to him. Was probably already planning his celebration.

Archived