Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jumbo mills

Is it time for the Martin George approach

Any older fan of the foxes who can remember the 90s success, the chairman had a policy of appointing young and ambitious managers. appointing Brian little giving us 3 play off finals then the premiership, then they went for Mark McGhee who had us playing good football. Then Martin o' Neill. They all got poached by clubs but that's because they done well. I would say if we went the Martin George way with the ambitious young managers, there is Dean smith at Walsall, Steve Davis at Crewe, Karl Robinson at the mk dons to name a few

Any older fan of the foxes who can remember the 90s success, the chairman had a policy of appointing young and ambitious managers. appointing Brian little giving us 3 play off finals then the premiership, then they went for Mark McGhee who had us playing good football. Then Martin o' Neill. They all got poached by clubs but that's because they done well. I would say if we went the Martin George way with the ambitious young managers, there is Dean smith at Walsall, Steve Davis at Crewe, Karl Robinson at the mk dons to name a few

I'd add Chris Powell!  He also has the advantage, that he knows this club and most of it's players so well.  Did you see him in the Sky studio before the Vicarage Road game, saying how much he enjoyed being at Leicester and how involved he was in helping build up the present squad at the KP?  He still clearly feels an attachment for City.

I'd add Chris Powell!  He also has the advantage, that he knows this club and most of it's players so well. 

Who was here when Chris Powell was here?! King, Dyer, Waghorn, Wellens, Gallagher and Logan?

There's only three of those I'd have anywhere near the team. And how does he know the club 'so well'? He was onlt here for about two full seasons?

I also remember protesting about Martin George every year - He really wasn't liked until the playoff win.

There's one thing the Thais should have emulated from & that's talked only about a multi year plan rather than cranking the expectation & pressure up by talking about promotion then going AWOL when speculation about manager's future is at its wildest.

Regardless of what they said privately which could have been this season or else, they should have publicly downplayed everything to relieve the expectation & resulting anger.

It's easy to look back on the past with rose tinted glasses, but facts were Martin George was almost universally hated with protests of a level I've never seen since, I know... I was naively in my youth in SK2 & outside the boardroom doing them.

The Thais perhaps should have copied Martin Georges sustainable approach that many protested against instead of running up £100m of debt in our name wanting a name manager in charge when a perfectly good one had just got us in the playoffs and a squad that should have been added to & not replaced leading us to do far, far less with far more... The exact same situation we're in now (a squad that needs a few additions & tweaks) along with a manager who's learned the need for a flexible approach.

Who was here when Chris Powell was here?! King, Dyer, Waghorn, Wellens, Gallagher and Logan?

There's only three of those I'd have anywhere near the team. And how does he know the club 'so well'? He was onlt here for about two full seasons?

OK, fair point, but you must also add Schlupp & Liam Moore and agree that he knows the set up of the club (including the other up-and-coming U21 players), so much better than any other potential manager?

No, we shouldn't adopt the Martin George approach.  That means any talented players we have we'd sell to the highest bidder - we were a selling club then, which was why, apart from the O'Neill years  (during which time George relinquished control), we yo-yo'd between divisions.  We no longer need to adopt that old fashioned approach, we're in a good place, if not great, to move forward, and we should be looking forward not backwards.  Our board have the means to make us a success, we've just got to make that promised land.

No, we shouldn't adopt the Martin George approach. That means any talented players we have we'd sell to the highest bidder - we were a selling club then, which was why, apart from the O'Neill years (during which time George relinquished control), we yo-yo'd between divisions. We no longer need to adopt that old fashioned approach, we're in a good place, if not great, to move forward, and we should be looking forward not backwards. Our board have the means to make us a success, we've just got to make that promised land.

Martin George was actually the end of us being a selling club.

We only sold players that we wanted to sell rather than having to, to balance the books.

Martin George seems under-rated, judging by the comments on here; I presume you didn't knew the insight into his tenure?

He helped strengthen the club financially; the period before he arrived, we weren't financially in a great position.

Or Nigel Pearson at Leicester.

Would not be considered up and coming anywhere but here after four dismal seasons in a row ending in failure.....cue low expectation Mark W hammering on about how he saved us from a fate worse than death 5 years ago and therefore should keep the job here for eternity........

As a young Leicester fan growing up, I remember yo yoing divisions, losing managers at a rate of what felt like 1 a year even though I am sure that was just little and McGee, and protest beyond protest against the board, ex managers and current managers (the famous o'neill out campaign)

We now have a settled board and I believe we need a settled squad as well which includes managers, having change of manager every season or even more than once a season won't let us compete with anything, Managers will make mistakes with everything and its the manner of the man how he learns from it.

Give Pearson time to learn from the mistakes made in the latter part of this year and grow from it, that's how experience is made, bringing in a new manager AGAIN will mean a shake up of the squad and set up. Time to settle and yes they will have pre season, but it's not the same as playing actual games, so as fans we will automatically allow a little lea way over the first 5 games or so to get their philosophy across,which could mean starting with a possible handicap

As the saying goes.....be careful what you wish for!!

Archived