Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Who didn't come up to scratch this season?

From all the players on the City's book who didn't live up to expectations?

I know you can say there are those like Beckford & Danns who Pearson thought indifferently to but I mean the ones who haven't gone out on loan.

Vardy, Waghorn, Wellens & Gallagher all come to mind but there must be others.

Vardy, Waghorn, Marshall, Drinkwater (second half of the season), Dyer (in parts) and, apart from the play offs, I was actually a bit disappointed with Nugent quite a few times this season. 

Pearson end of.Also marshall powder puff should be a decent footballer,kane has never been a footballist,nugent good lad but what is going on ,wood ball bounces off him but im sure he will continue in the game sort himself out,drinky confidence and fitness,smaqll margins but that's how it is in professional sport

Nugent had a great first half but tailed of in performances.  Although his effort has always been top draw and for that i can't complain.  He also plays with a smile on his face the majority of the time which you don't see often.

It's strange when you consider the points we had amassed and all the hard work City had done by the end of January that we didn't maintain that momentum.

It seems too many players went off the boil together. Was the fault of the manager to gee his players up and instill a sense of belief that this was going to be our year.

I know someone said to me the other day; you could have a life size cardboard cut-out of Pearson in the technical area and you would probably get a greater response.

A few months ago, I'd never have expected to be saying this but....

I think the most significant under-achievement has come from Danny Drinkwater. His is the most significant because he played a crucial role in most of our excellent performances in the early part of the season - and we never really replaced what he had to offer once his form nose-dived.

Andy King and Matty James have been excellent in recent weeks, but they're different types of players from Drinky. King offers more of an attacking threat and is an outstanding reader of the game and James must have a very high pass completion ratio, but both tend to play simpler passes than Drinky. Nothing wrong with that, but at his early-season best Drinky was instrumental in creating openings through his quick, accurate long passes to the wings and his ability to spot and execute tricky little through balls. For some reason he lost that (crisis of confidence?), never regained it - and we missed it. I suspect that the fact that we ended up resorting to more long balls in recent months was due to missing his creativity in midfield. Only Knocky really has that same ability to spot and execute a pass that puts opponents in difficulty...and he lack the consistency Drinky had at his best.

Was the fault of the manager to gee his players up and instill a sense of belief that this was going to be our year.

You don't need a manager to tell you that if you win games you are more likely to finish higher up the table. Bloody hell. Football players are not dumb puppets who need their arse wiping and spoon fed.

Vardy - waste of a £1m and we'd be lucky to get half of that if we decide to sell in summer.

Marshall - Maybe too much expectation on our (fans) behalf? He's still young. It's not like he's the complete and finished player but perhaps he needed to deliver better performances when given the chance.

Futacs - didn't take the limited chances he was given. He'll be gone in the summer.

Bit harsh to call Wellens out considering he was injured for most of the season and needed time to recover from such a serious injury, especially at his age. Expected more of Konchesky being one of the more senior players.

Marshall is the biggest disappointment. Konchesky was also no where near the player he was last season.

As for players whose formed tailed off dramatically since January, you could say Nugent, Wood, Drinkwater and Knockaert.

Others disappeared off the face of the earth in the second half of the season, namely Vardy, Futacs, Waghorn, Whitbread, St Ledger and Moore.

Marshall, Drinkwater and Konchesky were the major problems.

Fans and pundits expected Marshall to be a key player this season, when we brought him in and the way he played was magnificent; however he hasn't lived up to expectations. He has been far too inconsistent, so inconsistent in fact, that he didn't deserve a decent run in the side. He has been the biggest worry for me this season, we expected so much and were all excited, yet he has performed crap, the only thing he has done good this season, is get a good amount of assists. 

Drinkwater improved dramatically and turned into a key player in the first half of the season, but in the second half of the season, he went backwards, his performances got frustrating and embarrassing to watch. We have seen a lot of crap midfielders at this club, Drinkwater though doesn't slip into that category he is much better than the likes of Jason Jarrett, Stephen Hughes etc... but in terms of negativity he is one of the worst midfielders I have seen at this club, the amount of times he slows down play, looks backwards and sideways instead of forwards is incredibly annoying. He was like this last season when we signed him in January, then improved from August-January then from February most players were crap during that slump, but he was one of the worst, and one of the most concerning. 

Konchesky has done a Wellens, consistent and brilliant one season, then the next he goes down hill and performs crap. His legs have gone, and I don't think he is capable of playing week in week out anymore, if his wages are a problem, which I'm sure they are, then we will have to let him go, even though I think he would be good enough for back up. Get fresher legs in the side, and develop George Taft as back up.  

Pearson, pure and simple.

Given the way he has set about reducing decent players to a hoofers after a cracking start to the season.

Virtually all our attacking players have gone backwards, Drinkwater included, since NFP ditched our passing and pressing game in some bizarre attempt to make us more solid.

Negative setup and tactics left us with no options in transition resulting in us dwelling on the ball and giving away possession with forced passes. The drift to hoofball from November onwards was relentless, reinforced by our acquisitions in the January window.

Given the squad with which we started the season, I think our finishing position is unacceptable.

Marshall - looked like he'd be that king pin for us in a promotion campaign last season, a really exciting match-winner who was winning us games single-handedly. In reality this season he was weak, inconsistent and at times (Barnsley away) displayed a poor attitude given what he was delivering on the pitch.

Whitbread - I was really excited by him when we first signed him and thought he'd really be key to a strong defence as we went for promotion. In reality he was awful; slow, a liability, made some stupid tackles and terrible on the ball (when I thought he was going to be a ball-playing centre half). It was quite clear that Pearson recognised he'd made a mistake with him, especially as St Ledger who'd been cast to Millwall for the final stages of the season was preferred to him for a bench place in the play-offs.

Konchesky - thought he was fairly solid last season, never really bought into the mass hype surrounding him but he was solid enough. This season, he wasn't. Lost a lot of pace and sharpness, terrible on the ball at times and always susceptible to a horror tackle for which he could see red. Add to this his high wages and penchant for sticking it to his own fans, I'd be happy to see him go this summer.

Archived