Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Squad

First I'm not gonna moan about the Squad quality and lack of transfers.

But has anybody thought we are going down the Aston Villa route in terms of producing a young squad. Aston Villa the past two summers have continued to sign players under 23, and the way Pearson has acted since coming back as manager, it seems like he is doing exactly the same with our squad. Last season, all of one signing was either under the age of 24 or inexperienced i.e Vardy. The way Pearson talked in his interview recently, he mentioned about the good young squad we have, and if we do make any transfers, do people think he will mostly sign young players again.

Would that be a good thing or bad thing, considering teams like Wigan, Bolton and other teams are buying better quality and better experience?

Is it better to have a younger squad, stability, and a long term plan in place?

Think you're right. It's quite obvious we're playing the long game now and any times when we thought we may have 'bought' the league are now over.

However, with the three relegated sides strengthening considerably plus Bolton and a few others throwing a bit of cash about, I can only see a bit of a spell in mid table for the next season or 2.

That opinion may change if we make some quality signings but as it is, I see us finishing somewhere between 8th and 12th.

I can only hope that my pessimistic, downbeat nature has got the better of me and I am wrong.

If we signed perhaps 3 proven, experienced Championship campaigners who knew what it took to get promoted and knew how to bring the kids on then I'd instantly revise my prediction to play offs at least.

We have the youth in place, but who is there to carry them through when times are tough, especially away from home? Wes? Nuge? Kasper? All decent players but only the latter I would say has any kind of authority about them. Get the wise heads in and this team can go far.

I like plenty of youth in the side but then would want 2 or 3 older wiser heads in there. When i say older like 27/28 year olds. I think we lacked a bit of experience last season which was one of the reasons for us not going up.

First I'm not gonna moan about the Squad quality and lack of transfers.

But has anybody thought we are going down the Aston Villa route in terms of producing a young squad. Aston Villa the past two summers have continued to sign players under 23, and the way Pearson has acted since coming back as manager, it seems like he is doing exactly the same with our squad. Last season, all of one signing was either under the age of 24 or inexperienced i.e Vardy. The way Pearson talked in his interview recently, he mentioned about the good young squad we have, and if we do make any transfers, do people think he will mostly sign young players again.

Would that be a good thing or bad thing, considering teams like Wigan, Bolton and other teams are buying better quality and better experience?

Is it better to have a younger squad, stability, and a long term plan in place?

Well, that's good of you seeing as they're an actual impossibility unless we get the wage bill down significantly wither through offloading the likes of Wellens, Gally, Danns, SSL etc or as a last resort loaning them out & probably paying a portion of their ridiculous wages.

Like who? Besides Wigan have £23m parachute payment + what they raise from selling a few key players, Bolton are beneficiaries of a huge parachute payment too, signings they make compared to what we're able to make (IF we offload the overpaid non-contributors) are not comparable, but if you think the signing the likes of Mills & Beckford from us is actually quality, then we must have different views on quality.

Personally I'd go for the long term plan every time, we've tried buying quality, spent a fortune on it, really restricting our future and in particular what we can do this season whereas Pearson goes around things the right, and importantly a sustainable way to ensure we even exist as a club in the future.

However, with the three relegated sides strengthening considerably plus Bolton and a few others throwing a bit of cash about, I can only see a bit of a spell in mid table for the next season or 2.

What an exciting prospect. 

A lot of people are getting hung up on having a young side. If you look at Schmeichel, Morgan, Konchesky, Dyer, King, Nugent - all experienced players at this level and those guys made up half the first team more often than not.

I think we almost had the perfect balance of youth and experience last season, perhaps having another experienced CB alongside Wes rather than throwing young Keane in at the deep end would have been a better way to go.

Now the younger players have had a year of first team football, in some cases their first full season, they can only learn from it and get better as well as build a good understanding with the rest of the team.

Odd thread this.

For the first 10 or 11 weeks of last season we put out a fairly young side playing, (for us and NFP) a radically different style of play and despite an early hiccup or two very successfully too.

By October we were top of the league and, perhaps surprisingly, every single player that played in those games are still with us, even at the time of writing, Beckford.

Just find out what we did right, and do more of it...... :thumbup:

Archived