Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

3-5-2?

This argument about 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 is pedantic. It's essentially the same formation, the only difference is that the wing backs get told by the manager to be more defensive than attacking.

This. The positions are exactly the same, just the leash is tightened. To say 3-5-2 is different to 5-3-2 is like saying attacking full backs in a 4-2-3-1 is 2-4-3-1 instead.

Alright Foxin Hell get of your high horse  lol

If we were to adopt this formation, would we need to bring in another wing back?

I can only think of one realistic target, and that's Shane Ferguson on loan. 

King had his best season for us playing in the free role under Sousa and Sven. Think he got 15 goals that season.

King didn't really play in the free role though. He's always been better playing deeper and ghosting in with late runs. He's massively under-rated defensively.

Alright Foxin Hell get of your high horse  lol

If we were to adopt this formation, would we need to bring in another wing back?

I can only think of one realistic target, and that's Shane Ferguson on loan. 

Tyler Blackett from Man United would be perfect. Lightening quick and can play anywhere down the left side. Although I still think Dyer could easily play LWB in a 3-5-2 as the main job of the role is attacking width. Michael Cain could quite easily play RWB as well for me.

Tyler Blackett from Man United would be perfect. Lightening quick and can play anywhere down the left side. Although I still think Dyer could easily play LWB in a 3-5-2 as the main job of the role is attacking width. Michael Cain could quite easily play RWB as well for me.

I'd be worried if Dyer was our LWB. Obviously it's unfair to judge him on one game but he was a liability when he played there against Leeds.

Would definitely have to bring in a young pacey RWB. Moore wouldn't hack it and there's not many more options. Schlupp and Konchesky are both perfectly capable on the left so it would just be the right side.

I'd be worried if Dyer was our LWB. Obviously it's unfair to judge him on one game but he was a liability when he played there against Leeds.

He played in a back 4 against Leeds though where his main job was to defend. If you watch Juventus who have brought 3-5-2 back into fashion in Italy their wide players are there to provide width and attack the flanks. The back 3 with a holding central midfielder are responsible for defence, the wing backs just provide cover when under pressure.

We 100% need a new style of playing especially away from home and I think this would suit us down to the ground.

We have the players to do the job and I think it will bring out more in players such as Knockeart, De lat, Schluup etc...

Plus Morgan is like 2 defenders anyway.

This. The positions are exactly the same, just the leash is tightened. To say 3-5-2 is different to 5-3-2 is like saying attacking full backs in a 4-2-3-1 is 2-4-3-1 instead.

It's not the same and may sound pedantic to some but there is a difference between employing defensively minded full backs and attack minded full backs or wingers in the role.

Wing backs Moore & Konchesky will obviously be more naturally defensive than wing backs De Laet & Schlupp. There is room for both.

I'm simply pointing out that one is a defence minded 5-3-2 and one is an attack minded 3-5-2.

Essentially the same formation maybe, but it's different and you'd see the difference if we play both

One thing last season I liked about this side last season was the strength down the wings, where wingers and full backs could overlap with each other and ping diagonal balls to the other flank to their opposite number in space. This, as we saw a lot of last season, allows other teams to overrun the midfield, but when we played well the two tricky wide players would free up space for the CM's and give them options on the ball. When we didn't play well the wide players were anonymous and the midfield got bullied.

If this 3-5-2 system works could we break down teams running the show in midfield easier and more consistently? Yes we have another man in midfield but would pressure on the ball on our CM's give the opposition play as we have only one tired and mentally strained (I refer to the Psyco video posted above where sometimes wingbacks would feel they are just cancelling eachother out) wide players to help, giving less options on the ball to keep possession. Also with a lack of width opposition CD's can narrow and pressure midfielders as there is no danger on their flank.

Obviously the best teams have the quality players who can find teammates under pressure. But do we? We have consistently seen Knockeart, King and Drinkwater get pressured and lose the ball, leading to cries of "anonymity" on the pitch.

the key to good form throughout a whole season is to not be predictable, so I hope we learning it so we can switch between more formations as needed to win games.

watford and hull always played 3-5-2, and cardiff played 4-4-2 as much as we did...

The squad is MADE for 3-5-2

Schlupp on the left, RDL on the right, both better wing backs than traditional full backs.

The question is, will Pearson try it when the season starts?

It worked very well for Hull last season.

Do we have the squad depth for a 3-5-2?

We only have 2 decent wing backs.

Only 3 decent center backs.

Archived