Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

3-5-2?

As I have seen some of you lot mentioning this formation, and a few saying we played it yesterday against Leamington in the first half.

Do you think that formation would work throughout our league season?

We seen Watford and Hull be successful with that formation last season, but could it work with Leicester, or do you prefer if we stick to the basic 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation.

And if we did try 3-5-2, how the hell would we line up, would it give someone like Liam Moore a chance to start in defence, would Marshall be good in a central midfield role, would De Laet be classed as a wingback, if so where does that leave the likes of Knockaert and Dyer to play?

Opinions you lovely people.

I think it's a good idea to practice the formation so that we can use it if needed. We got found out playing 4-4-2 last season and too many times got bullied in the middle of the park. We've certainly got the squad to play 3-5-2 so worth experimenting in pre-season. It might even help re-create the glory of the MON days!

Personally I would love us to play 3-5-2. I've always loved the formation it was all the rage in the late 90s especially at Euro 96 and believe it gives you so many options in that you can switch from attacking to defensive easily without having to make wholesale changes through substitutions. 

I think in Moore and SSL we have 2 players who fit the wide centre back roles perfectly and Wes can be the rock in the middle and all seem comfortable on the ball. RDL and Schlupp are 2 perfect players for WB roles they are both better in attack than defence and are absolute lightening down the wings and are perfect to provide width I even think Dyer could play a wing back role because they are responsible for attacking more than defence. Personally I would play similar to how Nigel played in the first half but instead of Gallagher/Marshall/Danns I would go for Knockaert/Marshall/James. 

As Bert has said in another thread we had our most successful years under MON with 3-5-2, we need it back.

Schmeichel

Moore

Morgan

SSL

RDL

Schlupp

James

Marshall

Knockaert

Wood

Waghorn (Nugent when fit)

I think it depends how it's played .....

It can be a very positive formation and a very negative formation depending on who plays it and how it's implemented.

My worry would be that we'd go for the negative variety .... but happy if I'm wrong!

I think it depends how it's played .....

It can be a very positive formation and a very negative formation depending on who plays it and how it's implemented.

My worry would be that we'd go for the negative variety .... but happy if I'm wrong!

I think that's the beauty of it. You want to be positive against teams you go for 1 holding midfielder and 2 free role attacking midfielders. You want to be defensive 2 holding midfielders and 1 free role attacking midfielder. You want to be conservative 1 holding midfielder, 1 attacking midfielder and a box to box midfielder.

James

King

Danns

Marshall

Knockaert

Cain

All can fill roles in the midfield for a 3-5-2.

I've said for a while I'd be seriously looking at 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 as I think we've got the players who can bomb up and down the flanks, such as De Laet, Schlupp, arguably even Dyer. It plays all of Knockaert, King, James, Wood & Nugent in their position and I think it's very dynamic, three at the back doesn't automatically mean we're sacrificing our defence.

Could even utilise King is his best position behind the striker, when knocky isn't available. This formation could very well be the way forward for us.

That's not King's best position, but I think it is Knockaert's, Marshall's, and maybe Gallagher's. I hope we don't have to resort to picking Gallagher much this season, but I won't be surprised if we can't sell him, and if he has to play, it would probably be best if he plays as an attacking mid.

I don't know if our players are really suited to that formation.

3-5-2 means you need exceptionally quick and agile wing-backs. De Laet probably comes closest to that, but even he had a couple of shockers last season when he failed to defend properly and we got caught on the break.

And Konchesky's too slow to cope with it, so we'd need another left-back or left wing-back to fill that gap.

3-5-2 is a risky formation; with the right personnel, it can work. But Pearson doesn't strike me as a manager who'd let go of a back four.

I just don't see it.

I think 4-2-3-1 would suit us, too.

Knockaert looked most dangerous when he abandoned his right wing and played behind the strikers. Other options for this role depending on the opposition, Nugent played very well there against Watford and it's King's favoured position, too. The left side position could be filled by Dyer, Nugent or Schlupp (we'd probably need another player for the right side).

I really rate RDL but at times, he struggled Knockaert went on the walk about and this left him exposed. With James tracking back, he's free to go forward and support the midfield and recycle possession the way he did against Cardiff at home.

We'd probably need another CM to play alongside James for games where King would be higher up the pitch and a right sided player so that Knockaert could play his best position.

Guest ttfn

King had his best season for us playing in the free role under Sousa and Sven. Think he got 15 goals that season.

I really don't think he was playing a free role. It was more that he was the most attacking of three central midfield players.

I think 3-5-2 was a product of circumstance on Friday - Pearson was just trying to get all his players on the pitch for some game time in familiar(ish) positions.

I'd love to see us try it with Knocky in the hole, but I can't see us lining up with anything other than 4 at the back on 3 August.

Kasper

De Laet (Wing back)

Moore

Morgan

New CB

Schlupp (Wing back)

James 

King

Knockaert

Wood

Nugent.

Hull never played a 3-5-2 last season, they played 5-3-2 with wingbacks.

Guest ttfn

Kasper

De Laet (Wing back)

Moore

Morgan

New CB

Schlupp (Wing back)

James

King

Knockaert

Wood

Nugent.

Hull never played a 3-5-2 last season, they played 5-3-2 with wingbacks.

I am sure that is what 99% of people mean when they say 3-5-2.

I've always liked the 3-5-2 formation with wing backs as opposed to the 5-3-2 with full backs like we used under Little, although that wasn't unsuccessful either.

It's a very solid flexible formation and I hope to see it used this season, but at the moment, would you trust our central defenders to be good enough?

If Wes wasn't in the centre of the 3 I'd have serious worries about the opposite side of the defence

3-5-2 and 5-3-2 are pretty much the same formation, there's always emphasis on the two wingers to be heavily involved in attack and defence.

Personally would like to see this, very much suits our squad. Dyer is our only real winger, so we're constantly playing people out of position in a 4-4-2 and even when we try 4-3-3 (nuge gets sacrificed).

De Laet and schlupp woul excel as wing backs, they know they have the defensive cover and their pace and energy would be potent. Players like Knocky are then allowed to play centrally and there's a freedom to their play. Allows for 2 forwards still as well which is great because then Wood is not isolated and his and Nuge's play compliments each other.

I doubt we'll see it though as big Nige loves his 4-4-2 and playing the likes of Vardy on the wing.

3-5-2 and 5-3-2 are pretty much the same formation, there's always emphasis on the two wingers to be heavily involved in attack and defence.

Personally would like to see this, very much suits our squad. Dyer is our only real winger, so we're constantly playing people out of position in a 4-4-2 and even when we try 4-3-3 (nuge gets sacrificed).

De Laet and schlupp woul excel as wing backs, they know they have the defensive cover and their pace and energy would be potent. Players like Knocky are then allowed to play centrally and there's a freedom to their play. Allows for 2 forwards still as well which is great because then Wood is not isolated and his and Nuge's play compliments each other.

I doubt we'll see it though as big Nige loves his 4-4-2 and playing the likes of Vardy on the wing.

It's not really the same thing. People just lump them all under the heading of wing backs and therefore a 3-5-2.

A 5-3-2 is when you use defensive full backs as wing backs.

A 3-5-2 is when you use attacking full backs or wingers as wing backs.

One is more defensive the other is more attacking

Archived