Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Greatest Leicester City XI - Goalkeepers

Goalkeepers  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

• Gordon Banks
    • Tim Flowers
    • Kasey Keller
    • Sandy McLaren
    • Peter Shilton
    • Ian Walker
    • Mark Wallington

Only ever seen Walker, Keller and Flowers as well. For some reason I don't remember much of Tim Flowers but can remember bits and bobs. But I remember a lot more of Keller who was around before Flowers.

I do have recollections of Walker, too.

But for me, it's Kasey.

Mark Wallington was fantastic in 1976's TV show "All In The Game" (does anyone else remember it, didn't we win the second series?)...

But it has to be Banks

We did indeed win the "All in the Game" tv series.

They never did another series either, and so we have that Trophy for keeps, and as far as i`m aware, is still in the clubs Trophy cabinet.

As for the goalkeeper debate, well judging it on what they were like with us, rather what they went on to achieve after they left us, it`s very difficult to choose between Banks and Shilton.

Can`t we give them one half each!

At a push, i will choose Banks, who didn`t really want to leave us, but was pushed out to make way for Shilton, where as Shilton was a greedy git, who wanted to leave his home town club for more money. 

A big mention for Wallington too, who was fantastic, and had it not been for being around in the same era as Shilton and Ray Clemence, would surely have played for England too.

We were truly blessed for Keepers down here in those days.

Shilton for me, though him and Banks are in any case the two best England goalkeepers, without doubt.

Shilton received 125 caps, if it hadn't been for that ex Leeds manager/jerk, Revie who gave that Liverpool goalkeeper so many caps instead of Shilton, he would have got and should have got nearer 200 caps.

Gordon Banks is the best keeper that City and England have ever had.

No one else even comes close, I watched Gordon from the Double Decker and you could see his position between the sticks in relation to where the ball was it was always perfect.

I watched his successor and although he was good and made some great saves, he had to because he was out of position so often.

Kasper has been brilliant for us and is still improving all the time.

'John Anderson (1949-59) is unlucky to not make our shortlist with 277 appearances for City, one Scottish cap and a couple of Division Two titles to his name. An agile and brave keeper, Anderson’s career at City was effectively ended by the emergence of Banks'

Very sorry but the above is incorrect! Indeed, there is a glaring omission. Johnny Anderson was replaced as first choice keeper by DAVE MCLAREN. Anderson featured in the first 27 games of the 1956/57 season until Jan 26th '57 when one Harvey Sinclair made his one and only game for Leicester in the 4-3 home win over Grimsby. McLaren arrived that week and made his debut away at Notts County on Feb 2nd and then featured in every game for the rest of the season.

1957/58 saw McLaren for a few games then Anderson had a spell. Back to McLaren for mid-season then a few more games for Anderson with McLaren playing in the last few matches.

1958/59 saw McLaren between the posts for 37 of the 42 league games played.

1959/60 saw McLaren in goal the first 5 games, then Gordon Banks made his debut on September 14 away in the 3-3 draw at Blackpool and then featured in the next home match v B'ham. Then McLaren played the next 5 after which it was Gordon Banks.

I hope that corrects the above

Cheers Stocky

Banks was great so was Shilton, but for a young Shilton to be under study to Banks ( the England no 1 at the time) and say to the manager I'm better than him if I'm not no 1 for Leicester I'm off, just shows the arrogance needed to be the worlds best. He also changed the way keepers trained, was fitter than most other keepers, so for me has to be Shilton

How many clubs can say they've had the top 2 keepers the country have ever produced (and 2 of the best in the world ever full stop) on the books?

Has to be Banks or Shilton.

Bang on but lets give it a bit more, add Gary and what other clubs have produced 3 of the best players to have played for England??

Edit : banks for me

Archived